“Very, very nice inexpensive hotel.”

Best Western Plus Black Oak
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Paso Robles
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 10, 2011

I needed a room at the last minute in Paso Robles on a wednesday night. I called around and was not surprised to find rates starting around $145. I booked a room at another hotel chain I regularly frequent (Court**** Marr****) and on the way to it I spotted the Black Oak Best Western. I strolled in and discovered there was a room available for $83 bucks! The man behind the counter set me up and just as he handed me the key, I asked for a downstairs room if it was available. He smiled and "said sure, I think there is", and he made the switch. I was also offered a $5 discount coupon to the breakfast grill right next door. I took my key and split to go park my vehicle. As I drove up i saw a nice park-like area and a nice pool. There were a couple of kids and an adult splashing around. I liked it so far, but because of the inexpensive room rate I wasn't sure what to expect in the room. I got to my room and it was nice too. Clean, comfortable and quiet. There was even a little dish of candy (nice touch) by the coffee maker. I settled in and fired up my laptop. I looked up the hotel online to get directions from there to my final destination. Upon searching for the hotel name, I spotted some reviewes others had posted. I read some. I read a couple of negative ones that truthfully dod not make sense at all. This place is a nice comfortable spot for a great price. They don't have a rstaurant but there are a variety of them within 2 minutes walking distance. I will be back.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Danny_OI812

Reviewed June 9, 2011

Stayed here as it was en route and next to highway, we were very impressed. The pool area was lovely, very pretty garden around it. Room was fine, typical motel type and good for the $. A bit too far to walk into the town centre, but OK. Only stayed 1 night, but staff were helpful at check in. No restaurant but a voucher to eat at a diner near by was fine. Also had evening meal there, Margies Dinner, make sure you're hungry! Huge protions.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 3, 2011

Only one suggestion...website should mention handicap persons should notify motel upon booking so they can be given a ground-level room. No accomodations for second floor for handicapped that we could tell. Absolutely the best Best Western/any motel or hotel for the price and will highly recommend Black Oak Best Western. Management and staff definitely "customer oriented" which is refreshing these days! Thank you for excellent experience and all the "extras" this motel offers!

Room Tip: Notify if you require handicap accomodations.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 30, 2011

Typical motel type accommodations but Black Oak does a nice job of adding some extra special touches. Great beds-very comfy. Rooms have a fridge, coffee maker, microwave and some good quality toiletries -better than you would find at other motels. There is also a nice pool and courtyard area and it is a close driving distance to town. Within the area there are several b&b's that go for hundreds more so this is clearly one of the better values in the area. The diner next door is a great place to have breakfast or lunch as well.

Room Tip: Away from the street noise-high room numbers
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 18, 2011

Paso Robles is such a sweet town, but a bit pricey for a basic hotel, so we ended up at the Black Oak. Next time we'll pay more. This is a motel actually, which is common up and down the Central CA coast. It actually has nicer upgrades than most, but the ceiling fan puzzled me. Who puts ceiling fans in motel rooms with low ceilings? The moment we opened the door to our room there was a smell I recognized. Then I realized it was the scent they use to deoderize used cars. We took our shoes off to relax after a lot of wine tasting and the carpet was damp. Really damp. Thank God we had our flip flops along.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
BOMLBW, General Manager at Best Western Plus Black Oak, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2011

OH MY. We are so sorry about your stay. The carpets in the room you were assigned had been shampooed several days prior to your stay. It is obvious from your review that the carpet had NOT had sufficient drying time. We apologize for your inconvenience and surely hope that you would reconsider another stay at our property. Angela McKee General Manager.

Reviewed February 3, 2011

..the fan is constantly on and off even in the winter months! :( Otherwise else the room was pretty spacious and was pretty quiet most of the time.

When we stepped in to check in at a very nice 10AM in the morning one Saturday morning, we had to hit the wineries, the ladies in the front asked which wineries we were hitting and popped open a tupperware of Coupons to give to me.

"WOW! Awesome!" Came out of my mouth as we found tons of little "Free wine Tasting" coupons!

We were giving the key to our room early and had a top floor and spacious room to be in. It was a little chilly when we first walked in so we decided to bump up the heat and let the warmth warm up the room.

We went about our day and came back at night! (Unfortunately, I was three sheets into the wind with all the wineries we hit so I don't remember much!) I do recall waking up to the sounds of the Heater turning on and off! :( So up I went to turn off the heater for the time being!

Oh another little note, the stair case is one of the "Hallow ones." So unfortunately, someone that decides they want to STOMP there feet down the staircase will make sure you are awake! "THANKS TO THE JERK THAT WOKE US UP IN THE MORNING!" UGH! Why do people have to be sooo rude?? :(

In all a nice quiet place to stay and quite comfortable! Good deals with AAA members!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 22, 2010

If you need a budget stay in a downtown Paso Robles hotel, this could be it for you. Typical Best Western, characterless, but clean rooms and reasonable amenities. At under a hundred dollars a night, I suppose its reasonable value. Would recommend on the basis of location and meeting basic function of a hotel room in Paso Robles, that is, a base to do other fun stuff!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo