“Worth a Detour”

Tablas Creek Vineyard
Ranked #10 of 169 things to do in Paso Robles
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We've visited Tablas Creek a half dozen times or so, and have always enjoyed the wine and the experience. On our last visit we were fortunate enough to have Tedde pour for us. She is a delight, and we spent an hour discussing the wines and how best to pair them with food. We purchased a good many of the wines we tasted.

Our favorites include Côtes de Tablas, Panoplie, Esprit de Beaucastel, and Esprit de Beaucastle Blanc.

On a previous visit we toured the vineyard with Deanna, who provided an excellent demonstration on how to graft canes of new grape varieties onto existing vines. Her explanation of how Tablas Creek utilizes the dry farming technique was very interesting.

We very much enjoy the wine offerings at Tablas Creek and there is one caveat to be aware of if you live outside of California and intend to join their wine club. Different states have different laws regarding wine shipped into their state from California. These laws can prevent some wineries from shipping to the end consumer in some states.

One of the loopholes to this is if you purchase wine while you are physically at the tasting room, which allows for a one-time shipment of up to two cases (this is for shipping to Arizona, your state laws may differ). However, this does not work for wine club memberships. On a previous visit to Tablas Creek we had signed a card that should have allowed our wine shipment to be sent. We found out 3 months after our credit card had been charged, that the management at Tablas Creek determined that they could not in fact ship our club wine. Fortunately we found this out just before our most recent visit and were able to sign more documentation to have it shipped. Some wineries understand the wine laws better than others, but our card should never have been charged three months in advance. Fortunately we were able to work it out.

We do recommend you visit Tablas Creek to enjoy the wine and the beautiful property.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

This place has the best wines in all of Paso, but ever since they expanded their tasting room it feels too corporate. It's no longer as fun to visit, so I'll keep up my wine club membership but will skip the in person tastings.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Opinion on wine is very subjective because it depends on your taste. This was my first time trying wines from the Rhone region (Grenache, Mourvèdre grapes) so I was not used to the taste.
The person doing the tasting was very knowledable and explain a lot to us about the wines and the vineyard, however I was not impressed by the wine. I thought maybe I did not like these grapes as much but then I taste the wines from Villa's Creek and loved them.

The tasting room is beautiful and the vineyard has some wonderful views. The price for a tasting is reasonable. They have easily accesible bathrooms and water for the guest. I would not put this vineyard at the top of my list in Paso, but again this depends on your taste in wines.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

Enjoyed coming here in Sept-brought food and enjoyed their beautiful picnic area. We had bought a few wines, and the host brought one out in an ice bucket to our picnic table. Nice touch! This is THE PLACE for good whites in Paso. They are slightly over priced for whites, but have a marvelous taste-just go for it and enjoy!

Reviewed February 15, 2013

The wines were really amazing (I even joined the wine club!), and Joelle of Tablas was wonderful. Truly made my visit special! Would definitely return if in the area again.

1  Thank Tracy T