“Chalk it up to an off day”

La Bellasera Hotel and Suites
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Paso Robles
Thousand Oaks, CA
“Chalk it up to an off day”
Reviewed January 1, 2009

Based on the other reviews, I'm willing to be an outlier. The room is beautiful. The location is just so-so (right on the freeway and not walking distance from town.) But I think this hotel is too new and as such, it has some issues. My husband had issues with the restaurant because he couldn't get a medium rare steak. As a result, his meal was comped and so were our drinks. I had issues with the spa. I made a 2 hour spa reservation 2 days prior. A day before, I told them to add another 2 hour spa service for a friend. I had a feeling something was up and confirmed both reservations twice. Even so, they weren't able to understand that my friend and I did not want tandem massages. They ended up putting us in a tandem room anyway (with my friend's starting 1/2 hour after mine!) My massage therapist must have sensed that I was tense because she then decided to call the spa director on the spot and hand me the cell phone while I was still on the table! (Remember, my friend is on the table next to me!!!) I ended up getting dressed, talked to the spa director (who comped the 1/2 massage I did get.) Everyone, including the front desk were extremely apologetic, but the damage had already been done. I would give this hotel some more time to get organized and into a rhythm before I stayed here again.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 1, 2008

The rooms here are flawless. We stayed in a King Studio with Spa, which consisted of a foyer, spacious living room, wetbar (with wine glasses and other setups), step up large jacuzzi tub in the living room, separate bedroom with refrigerator and a great bathroom with a rainfall shower big enough for two/maybe three if you're creative. They also included more towels than you can use, bath crystals, even eye makeup remover and really anything else you could possibly need or want.

There was also a desk-with built in computer- though we used the free Wifi without difficulty on our Macs. An I-pod dock is available.

Staff could not have been friendlier or more helpful.

The room seemed very new and I cannot think of anything they could do differently. Even the lighting was perfect.

Each evening a complementary wine tasting is located in the lobby at 5:30. We ate at Enoteca two of the nights of our stay. It was good, not great, with an average wine list of mostly local wines and fairly limited menu. There are many good restaurants in Paso, both formal and informal, so you may want to explore.

Happy hour, BTW, at the very informal Crooked Kilt in Paso Robles across from the city park is great, with good appetizers. Lunch at the upscale Eagle Castle Winery is excellent (best smoked salmon appetizer ever).

The location for the hotel is perfect for exploring many wineries along 46 West as well as about 40 minutes from Hearst Castle. Elephant seals- hundreds of them- rest along the shore close to the Castle. Cambria- a cute as a button small town- is also close to Hearst. Mission Miguel San Padua is North of Paso Robles; plan ahead to visit.

I'd stay here again without reservation.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
4 Thank Karen S
California
Reviewed October 17, 2008

My husband and I took a trip up the coast for our anniversary. We were on our way down from San Francisco and wanted to stop at Hearst Castle before going home. We found this Hotel from just driving by, and decided to give it a try. It was fantastic! We loved it from the moment we walked in.

Gabe at the front desk asked us if we wanted a fireplace in the room or a whirlpool tub. Of course my husband said whirlpool tub, and I said fireplace, so he said he would give us both since it was our anniversary! We experienced this wonderful service our entire stay.

The room was one of the nicest we have ever stayed in. We paid the same rate, actually more in San Francisco at a Holiday Inn. The bed and bedding was luxurious, the bathroom was beautiful, and the whirlpool tub and fireplace were out of this world.

We also ate in their dining room, Enoteca. It was delicious, and we had great service.

We will definitely be going back!

• Liked — The service from the staff, the quality of the rooms, and the ammenites in the room.
  • Disliked — No complaints!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JKSBlove
Orange County, California
Reviewed September 25, 2008

I was expecting the hotel to be very nice after reading the tripadvisor reviews and looking at the hotel website and I was not disappointed. Our room, a king studio spa, was spacious, attractively decorated, and comfortable. Everything about it was nice, from the bed to the delicious smelling toiletries and the in room computer (a first!) . I've stayed in some very nice hotels, and I'm not easy to impress anymore, but we really enjoyed our stay, and this is a place I'd love to return to. Paso Robles has some good wineries and restaurants and a charming downtown area -- it's a great place for a weekend getaway.

• Liked — The comfort of the room
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank blossom
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed August 26, 2008

This was a fantastic find by my wife. We needed a place to stay on our way to San Simeon and the Hearst Castle and this hotel was THE best hotel we stayed in on our drive up the California coast from San Diego.

The rooms are lavish and the amenities are on par with the best boutique hotels around the world (We've been to quite a few!!). There is complimentary computer access on the two flat-screen TVs plus a further individual computer terminal. Amazing !! We had a room with 2 double beds plus a partitioned living room with a pull-out sofa and this suited our family of 4 perfectly. The price of $215 for the room was very reasonable compared to what we paid for lesser quality accommodation anywhere else.

We also had dinner at the Enoteca restaurant downstairs following a nice dip in the pool and the food was divine. We especially appreciated the "tasting" wine menu that allowed us to enjoy some of the very fine wines from around the immediate region. Although the menu is on the high-price side, the quality and portioning of food and presentation was to-match.

Emil

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank CdnTraveller20
Southern California
Reviewed August 9, 2008

We stayed in a suite that had a nice, romantic spa tub and a fireplace. Very, very nice and comfortable room with all you need.

Definately upscale and beautiful.

The bed was superior and probably the best ever hotel bed we've slept on. Extremely comfortable.

Loved the interior decorations and the beautiful bathroom with everything you need.

We had a nice view out our window of the nearby hilly landscape.

We will be returning to stay here again.

The staff was excellent and extremely helpful & courteous.

• Liked — Relaxing & comfortable
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CoronaDave
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed July 31, 2008

I frequently travel to the Paso Robles area and have stayed at the Hotel Cheval, Marriott, Villa Toscana, and Hampton Inn, La Bellasera is by far the most elegant and posh place in the area for the value. From the second that the bell hop unloaded my luggage at the door until the time that my luggage was loaded back into the car I felt as if I was in heaven. The staff made me feel as if I had know them for some time an experience that you don’t find at the Ritz or any 5 star hotel in the world. The great location makes it easy to get anywhere in the Central coast that you desire and if you want to just “get away” from it all La Bellasera offers seclusion and privacy within. The first time I stayed at the Hotel I did not eat at the restaurant located off the lobby because I didn’t want to miss a great meal at my favorite spot downtown, what a big mistake. The second night I ate at the restaurant and I will not try anything else as now this is my new favorite in Paso.

When going to the room they are the most sophisticated rooms but yet all very user friendly. I no longer need to bring my laptop to the hotel as they have a desktop computer in every room as well as a computer that can be accessed from the 42” TV WOW. As for the bed it feels as if you have landed on a cloud, the high thread count linens and the awesome mattress and pillows makes for a great nights rest. I can say that this is one place that I do not immediately pull the duvet on the floor I actually use the duvet and blankets on the bed as if I were in my own bed. Also in some of the suites there is a full kitchen equipped with pots, pans, silverware, glassware, and dishwasher. Although I have not used this amenity yet (as its hard to get away from Enoteca) it serves to be convenient and nice. If you are traveling to the central coast area I would highly recommend that you stop at La Bellasera even if it is out of the way it is worth your while.

Thank you La Bellasera Staff and Enoteca fro the great repeat service, its hard to stay at other places anywhere I whish there were more La Bellasera’s.

• Liked — Everything and Anything
  • Disliked — That i had to leave
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple