“EPIC FAIL” 1 of 5 bubbles

Big Bubba's Bad BBQ
Ranked #46 of 191 Restaurants in Paso Robles
Cuisines: American, Bar, Barbecue
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Los Angeles
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“EPIC FAIL”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2008

My friends and I stopped in here because it's walking distance from the camp site for day 3 of the AIDS LifeCycle bike ride from SF to LA. Some of our party were vegan, and as such we weren't expecting much selection for them at a BBQ place, but we were looking for a change of pace from camp food. Turns out we should have stuck with the camp food.

The vegans, realizing the staff might not have heard of a vegan before, made clear they were allergic to diary products, and asked if the veggie burger contained any. The server went back and checked if their veggie paddies had dairy, and came back and said they did not. Quite some time after the order he came and said they didn't have any veggie burgers left, which left us to believe he had never actually checked for dairy ingredients in the first place. So obviously this place doesn't care if you have food allergies, and is willing to lie to placate you. To top it all off they all changed their order to garlic fries, which contrary to the menu description was full of shredded cheese. What happened to the dairy allergy request?

Other complaints besides the absolute incompetence include receiving a crappy mojitio flavored wine cooler when ordering a mojito from their supposedly full bar, slow service through out the evening, and a vegetarian who ordered a burrito with no meat finding a few chunks of steak mixed in.

Yes this is a BBQ place, and not the most ideal spot for catering to vegetarians in a group, however I've been to many steak houses before that could at least understand and make some effort at accommodation for a paying customer, but this place seemed baffled beyond belief at even the slightest attempt to modify orders from the menu or take requests into consideration. Epic fail.

1 Thank GarySe7en

Thousand Oaks, CA
“Mostly Hype”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2008

I didn't care for this place too much. I have a family of 5 that I brought to the place for dinner. The place looks great on the outside with the rustic look of a timber-built building right across from the fairgrounds.

The wait was not too long, but the line got longer as it got closer to 7PM. We waited about 10 mins, and they sat us in a table close to the mechanical bull.....which was great for the kids to watch, but was bad because it was next to the bar with drunk people groping each other and being pretty obnoxious.

It took a while for our waitress to our order and even longer for the food to get to us (30 mins from the time we ordered). I got the pulled pork sandwich, my wife had the steak tacos, daughter the ribs and son the sampler platter.....

As for the food.......pretty commercial and nothing great. Service was slow and the atmosphere was not special at all.

1 Thank Harryho
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Obnoxious "country" atmosphere, loud and noisy and the food is very average, even for BBQ. They have a full...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2007

Obnoxious "country" atmosphere, loud and noisy and the food is very average, even for BBQ. They have a full bar, but the drinks are mediocre as well.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
London, United Kingdom
“Not that great!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2007

The restaurant was almost next to our hotel so we popped in for what looked like an authentic barbecue - it wasn't!

Food was okay, but that's about all you could say about it!

There are far better places in Paso Robles to eat!

Covina, California
“Mixed results”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2007

The gardenburger and homemade potato chips I had were very nice. I can't comment on things I didn't eat, but the lady near me had to send her ribs away because they were not tender. She ended up getting pulled pork instead and said it was very nice. My friend was served a good birthday dessert of warm brownies with ice cream--yummy!
You might be better off not ordering ribs here, ironically!