“Nice Surprise”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stopped for a meal around 4 pm and the waitress explained that there was a limited food menu between 3-5 pm...mostly salads and pizzas. We were satisified with those choices and settled on a Cobb salad and a barbecue chicken pizza. Both were very good. The Cobb salad was already tossed...more like a chop salad...but you could taste the individual ingredients, although I would have liked more tomato. The pizza had a very thin crust and was light and crispy and there was plenty of chicken and not too much sauce...just the thing for a light meal. The restaurant is run by FIrestone-Walker Brewing Company and so there is a good selection of their beers. We enjoyed the "805" which is a light, smooth, "laid back" beer, particularly enjoyed by and dedicated to the folks who live in the 805 area code on the central coast. The beers come in several sizes, including a tasting size. The service was fast and efficient and the decor, as others have described, is industrial modern. You can sit in big booths around the bar area between 3-5 pm, and a huge dining room is available for lunch and dinner. Note that the restaurant is not in downtown Paso Robles. Rather it is a bit south of town, on the east side of Highway 101, exit ramp Theater Drive.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Worst pizza I ever had. I'm 63 and have had a lot of pizzas.
The crust was like a stale overcooked tortilla. The toppings were piled in one spot,except for the cheese..Overcooked, overpriced.
However I did really enjoy their hamburger on an earlier occasion..

Reviewed February 27, 2013

Had really great short ribs for dinner with my husband. He had pizza which he said was good but not great. Beer was outstanding. Good service. Interesting decor.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

A buddy and I stopped by for a beer and were very happy that we made the stop! The selection of beers is outstanding as well as they brew great beer. We enjoyed an order of onion rings that were out of this world! The atmosphere is fun; fashioned after a conveyor belt in a brewing factory. The staff were all friendly and helpful. I will certainly return and enjoy another frosty!

Reviewed November 26, 2012

First off, there seems to be confusion on the name. TripAdvisor has reviews of this as 'Taproom' and 'Tap Room'. The sign on the door, the menu, and the website all list it with the one word version of the name, so I will review this as The Taproom. At some point, the reviews from the two word name should be merged with the one word name reviews.

My wife and I visited on a weekend in Paso Robles. On the down side, I called for reservations, got an answering machine, left a message and never got a call back. My wife talked to our inn keeper who went to the restaurant and made a reservation. When we arrived we found we had two reservations, one under my name, one under my wife's name. The staff needs to acknowledge requests on the answering machine (or, better yet, use Open Table or another service for reservations).

Upon arrival we had to wait, but we had a request for a booth so the wait is understandable. This is a restaurant owned by a brewery, so it should be no surprise that the beer is front and center. My wife had four tastes (3 oz pours) or beers available only at the brewery, while I had a full glass of one of the four. All were good, nice representatives of the particular beer styles.

For dinner my wife had fish and chips, a generous portion of beer battered halibut with fries. The fish was flaky and well cooked, the fries were respectable. I chose a beer braised short rib served on a bed of mashed potatoes. The meat was falling apart tender and flavorful, the jus properly seasoned, and the potatoes had the proper consistency: stiff enough to not melt in the jus but not too stiff.

After dinner we shared a pot of the house coffee, prepared as a production at the table as the waiter slowly poured the hot water in the filter then stirred the grounds. It was very good coffee and properly did not need the show as it stood well on its own.

My main question marks about this restaurant revolves around the specials and what is not on the menu. The special the night we were there was a 12 oz ribeye. I would have loved a 6 oz , maybe even an 8 oz ribeye, but 12 oz is a bit much. As for what is not on the menu, Firestone has their grills on San Luis Obispo and Cambria and the grill is known for the Tri-Tip, but Tri Tip is nowhere on the menu at the Taproom. Why not?