“Good for beer and pub food.”
Review of The Tap room

The Tap room
Ranked #67 of 210 Restaurants in Paso Robles
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 26, 2012

First off, there seems to be confusion on the name. TripAdvisor has reviews of this as 'Taproom' and 'Tap Room'. The sign on the door, the menu, and the website all list it with the one word version of the name, so I will review this as The Taproom. At some point, the reviews from the two word name should be merged with the one word name reviews.

My wife and I visited on a weekend in Paso Robles. On the down side, I called for reservations, got an answering machine, left a message and never got a call back. My wife talked to our inn keeper who went to the restaurant and made a reservation. When we arrived we found we had two reservations, one under my name, one under my wife's name. The staff needs to acknowledge requests on the answering machine (or, better yet, use Open Table or another service for reservations).

Upon arrival we had to wait, but we had a request for a booth so the wait is understandable. This is a restaurant owned by a brewery, so it should be no surprise that the beer is front and center. My wife had four tastes (3 oz pours) or beers available only at the brewery, while I had a full glass of one of the four. All were good, nice representatives of the particular beer styles.

For dinner my wife had fish and chips, a generous portion of beer battered halibut with fries. The fish was flaky and well cooked, the fries were respectable. I chose a beer braised short rib served on a bed of mashed potatoes. The meat was falling apart tender and flavorful, the jus properly seasoned, and the potatoes had the proper consistency: stiff enough to not melt in the jus but not too stiff.

After dinner we shared a pot of the house coffee, prepared as a production at the table as the waiter slowly poured the hot water in the filter then stirred the grounds. It was very good coffee and properly did not need the show as it stood well on its own.

My main question marks about this restaurant revolves around the specials and what is not on the menu. The special the night we were there was a 12 oz ribeye. I would have loved a 6 oz , maybe even an 8 oz ribeye, but 12 oz is a bit much. As for what is not on the menu, Firestone has their grills on San Luis Obispo and Cambria and the grill is known for the Tri-Tip, but Tri Tip is nowhere on the menu at the Taproom. Why not?

Reviewed November 14, 2012

I was fortunate enough to visit the Taproom twice in the last month. The first trip I enjoyed their BBQ chicken pizza. Thin crust and just the right size for a meal for a hungry person. The second trip I had the fish and chips, very good too. Of course we also had a few pints of their beer. The atmosphere is good and the wait staff is very friendly. It's a nice casual place to go for a beer or dinner. When we were there they were serving Velvet Merlin and Wookey Jack among others. If you're in Paso make sure to check it out.