“Even if you have reservations, don't count on it...”
Review of Robert's Restaurant & Wine Bar - CLOSED

Robert's Restaurant & Wine Bar
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 12th street
Transit: AMTRACK train station directly 2 blocks south
Description: Step inside Roberts and congenial servers will welcome you. Dine in an elegant, yet refreshingly relaxed atmosphere of glossy woods, exquisite decor, and captivating photography. Experience the wine region of Paso Robles at the sleek handcrafted wine bar that features an impressive list of top wines and beers with an emphasis on local stars. Roberts celebrates the best of American traditions by providing you with beautifully prepared foods that are satisfying yet sensitively priced. Gather with your friends and family in a dining room that makes you feel both uptown and right at home. New extended lunch hours 11-4pm
Reviewed November 14, 2011

My friends and I planned a lovely wine-tasting weekend in Paso Robles. Planning ahead, I made our reservations for 4 people at 6:30 p.m. over a month in advance. Imagine my surprise when I get a call the afternoon of our reservations and am told that the person who confirmed my reservation only put me down for 2 people and they were now overbooked and couldn't handle 4 people at 6:30. Could I change my reservation to 5:30 and for my trouble the restaurant would give us a free appetizer and waive the corkage fee. Huh???? I book my reservation well in advance and instead of bumping more recent ones, I get bumped??? She couldn't give a sensible explanation to that question. We were pretty much stuck at that point and were forced to take the earlier time since it was unlikely we could get into another restaurant that late in the day. Since it was "Evening Extravaganza" in Paso Robles, my guess is I got bumped for some VIP. But who cares why. I suppose you could argue that's better than getting there at 6:30 and finding out about the screw-up, but despite the fact that the food was good (not outstanding but good) and our server provided great service, I won't be going back to a restaurant that doesn't honor its reservations.

1  Thank Wildewood4166
There are newer reviews for Robert's Restaurant & Wine Bar

Reviewed November 12, 2011

Four of us went to Robert's on the remmonendation of the people at Vila Robles Winery, and they were correct! The food was all great, we had crab cakes and artichoke hearts for appetizers, my spouse had salad and the Rib Eye, I had french onion soup and the Filet and our friends had chicken and fish - all were cooked just the way we asked. The staff was quite good and the tables had white linen tablecloths but you can go to this restaurant in jeans and a nice shirt or blouse - or you can dress up. Everyone gets treated the same. A GREAT DINING EXPERIENCE

1  Thank dalsha
Reviewed November 7, 2011

My friends and I go up to Paso Robles and Cambria nearly twice a year. We have been going up there for many years. For the first time we got on Tripadvisor to get a recommendation, and Roberts was listed as #1, so we made a reservation. We were not disappointed.

This restaurant, from start to finish, is absolute perfection. It is fancy without being pretentious, casual without being sloppy, friendly without being ingratiating, and satisfying without being exuberant. I loved our evening at Roberts.

The restaurant is very beautifully decorated with old photographs from important events of the past. They are very intriguing on their own. The room is not stuffy or too fancy, but is open and makes you feel invited. I really liked the decor. We sat down and were served by a very friendly waitress and a team of servers who were very attentive and helpful with the menu. There are many choices, but not too many. It was simple in the sense that it was not overwhelming.

We stared with the Wedge Salad, a crunchy chunck of iceberg, covered with bacon, blue cheese and chipotle dressing. It was fantastic! The rolls that came with it were perfection. Between the four of us we ordered the venison and the rib eye. They were both so so delicious and cooked with skill. The crunch mac and cheese that came as a side was heaven in cheddar, and the cooked broccoli side was amazing, and spicy. I loved the food here.

It was not over priced, in fact we are four teachers and we were all discussing at how reasonable the bill was. We will definitely be back on our next trip!

1  Thank Jon M
Reviewed November 5, 2011

Went with wife and friends after touring vineyards. Beautiful dining room. Very comfortable.

The house salad was quite good with a very pleasing dressing and large portion. My chicken farfalle pasta was rich, flavorful and satisfying.

On the downside, their crispy bread had great chew but amazingly no flavor whatsoever. I come across this from time to time and it always baffles me how a fine dining venue could be so blind to such an important detail. Given that most such restaurants consistently serve wonderfully enjoyable, flavorful breads, it certainly isn't rocket surgery to figure it out. Lastly, I mark them down because of an overly pricey menu. Good food but with too high an impact on your wallet for what you receive.

Reviewed November 1, 2011

I expected much more from such a beautiful restaurant. I ordered the Ahi Tartar on a bed of Seaweed salad. The seaweed salad was the exact same that I buy at the market. I wondered how much of the remainder of our dinner came out of a can. That was so disappointing to me as Ahi Tartar is one of my favorite dishes and I've had it many times where it was completely made from scratch.

I will save this restaurant for a very casual time. I wish the owners would upgrade their chef, as the restaurant looks like it's much better than it is. Compliments to the decorator.