“More of a culinary adventure than a mere dinner”

Thomas Hill Organics
Ranked #6 of 208 Restaurants in Paso Robles
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Entrance in Alley
Description: Thomas Hill Organics is a farm-to-table restaurant dedicated to serving creative, fresh food and highlighting unique wines from the Central Coast. With a dynamic menu reflecting our local abundance, Thomas Hill Organics sources a vivid array of fresh ingredients to concoct bold, imaginative dishes. What began as a humble organic CSA showcasing the Central Coast’s bounty quickly evolved into a popular destination for creatively prepared, honest food.
Reviewed September 20, 2012

The number of locals who recommend this restaurant is astonishing. If you go to Paso and ask around, you will hear "Thomas Hill Organics" so many times you'll feel compelled to try it out. At least, that's what happened to us. To be completely honest, I can't really say that I loved everything that I tried, and I tried everything on my plate and on my husband's, so I tried a lot of different flavors. But what I can say is that the whole experience was provocative. Almost everything on the plate left me with a "wow, I haven't tried anything quite like that before" idea. And although some flavors were not my favorite, others were exquisite. It is a bit on the spendy side too, so be prepared for a fairly big bill considering that it is located in a small, country town. If you want the same old stuff, don't try Thomas Hill. But if you want to have a dining experience that is truly different and memorable, this is the place. I will definitely return, and I will bring friends.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

How do they keep turing out such fantastic food? The answer: Creativity, skill; commitment to excellence.

On Saturday we had another outstanding dinner at Thomas Hill Organics. We started with a succulent fig, pear, copa appetizer. That was followed by a mouthwatering pizza of fig, duck and fontina cheese. Our phenomenal entrees were a roasted halibut with watrmelon and beets, perfectly sauteed scallops (4 of them!) with roasted Italian peppers and fragrent rice in a Thai sauce (all to die for!), and over-the-top short ribs. For desserts we had a wonderful fruit cobbler, a decadent chocolate fendant, and a delicious and creamy panna cotta. As usual, the service was friendly, attentive, and exceptional. It's a good thing we don't live within easy driving distance of THO or we'd each weigh 500 lbs!

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Don't get me wrong, I love eggs, but fried (with a too hard yolk) on top of duck breast with sauteed bok choy? Not so sure.

First they didn't have our reservation, so we were relegated to a back room that contained 6 tables, right outside the kitchen door, with a huge attic ladder in the middle of the room. I hated the seating and, to their credit, somebody took mercy on us and said we could sit in the patio. The nice lady then told us to take all our table settings, water, and wine to the new table. Seriously? I was surprised we weren't required to bus our tray at the end of the meal.

I ordered duck, my husband ordered the fruit salad. His dish was good. Mine was partially good. The duck was not medium rare but slightly undercooked and kind of squishy. It wobbled when cut with a sharp knife. Purple rice was very good, but the fried egg on top was visually odd and seemed like a phony artsy added touch rather than a real addition to the flavor. Besides it was overcooked. The wine list (by the glass list) was very short of anything interesting. Just OK, almost all 2010 vintage. What with all the good wine in the area, I thought it was a bit short and thin.

The service is very slow. Not rude, but a slow kitchen. 45 minutes. And the patio (warning) is very noisy. Very noisy. The whole experience seemed like maybe a small restaurant that had gotten overwhelmed by sudden growth. After our excellent experience at McPhee's in Templeton, and Artisan in Paso, I was expecting more of that quality. Portions were ok.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

I have now been here two times and look forward to the next. Rarely does one find this kind of creativity and execution in little old Paso Robles. Colorful and elegant presentations, bizarre flavor combos that work and friendly attentive service. This place is an absolute treat1

Reviewed September 2, 2012

Had a wonderful lunch for 4 on Saturday during the Paso Car Show. Even with the BIG crowds the service was great & the food was out of this world! I had the Fogg Cheese Sandwich whic was so different & tastey with a wonderful side salad. My hisband had a yummy looking burger with bacon that he really loved & the Vegie eaters with us had the garden burgers that were buns piled with mushrooms, carrots, other vegies & even seaweed! They thought they were wonderful. Will return soon to try the legendary Porkbelly Sandwich & deserts.