The reviews are pretty accurate in the sense that this place is beautiful but the inn-keeper is not a typical innkeeper. It makes for an interesting experience that you will remember for years. Yes, if you want a good story to tell at dinner parties- go for the experience.
Here are some suggestions to make your stay a bit more comfortable:
- bring your own toiletries such as shampoo, etc. the used large bottles provided are not of good quality.
- bring your own hair dryer if that's important to you. The one provided only works on a low setting.
- do not expect chamber services such as the beds being made or the towels being changed.
- dress in layers. I actually stripped down to a bikini and at one point in the middle of the night, I was wearing a long sleeve t-shirt. The ac is stronger inside the house and does not quite make it to the exterior suites.
- think of the innkeeper as a character in a funny movie and you will have a more forgiving spirit so your trip is not ruined. For instance, he will have very cheap toilet paper and weird foods and bugs in the pool and cobwebs everywhere because he won't spend the money to get helpers or better quality amenities for his guests. However, he drives a Porsche, Mercedes-Benz, limited-edition pick up, three Harley's and two boats. He has his priorities.
All that said, we had a blast because we met other cool couples and it was a different experience. We enjoyed going in to town and the view and actually sleeping with the door open. You know what to expect at a Ritz Carlton or Holiday Inn. This was different and frankly, I was ok with it. I had read the reviews and am only writing things I wish I would have read especially the hair dryer.
No we will not be back to the Deperado Inn but I am truly grateful for the experience. The innkeeper is a cool, interesting guy. I do recommend trying it once so you have the benefit of the story later. We've shared our experience at three dinner parties and each time resulted in a roaring good laugh. That's priceless.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Relax at our romantic Villa located close to town and yet worlds away. Surrounded by vineyards, bask in the sun by the pool and enjoy see forever views from our 1200 ft elevation on a ten acre estate,lined with olive trees, lavender, and many kinds of flowers. Four suites, all with full bath, private patios or walk out sundecks. Southwest/Tuscan decor; eclectic furnishings; flat screen DVD players in every room for private movie viewing our library of over 500 first run movies. Air conditioned, Pool, serene, exclusive. Owner is Executive Chef and winemaker. Est. 2007.. Ten minutes from 20 wineries, located in the heart of the "Backroads wine district" in east Paso Robles. WALK to a nearby winery for a picnic and tasting. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Expedia and Agoda so you can book your Desperado Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa Valdemosa Hotel Paso Robles
- Valdemosa Hotel Paso Robles