“Nice quiet comfortable bed. Private”
Review of Desperado Inn

Desperado Inn
Ranked #27 of 30 Paso Robles B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 25, 2014 via mobile

My daughter and I enjoyed our weekend. Lots of wineries close by. One is walk next door. Wine tour picked us up at this country B&B for our day tour. The owner was very helpful and informative about area, places to visit, eat and history of the region.

Stayed: July 2014

Reviewed July 24, 2014

My wife and I booked the Desperado Inn through an Amazon Local deal - didn't read the reviews beforehand. People seem to either love or hate this place, and love or hate the proprietor. It was our first B&B experience, so we had no preconceptions about what a stay should entail.

The hotel is in a great location. It's about 10 minutes from downtown Paso Robles. It's far enough to feel like you're getting away, but close enough to where you don't have to drive too far to get to great wine. At night, you get a great view of the stars from the property and there's not a ton of ambient noise from the surrounding area.

Communication with Tom leading up to the trip was good. He responded to our e-mails and text messages in a timely manner. We told him in advance we would be arriving late on Friday, and Tom made sure our room was clean and the key was readily available. We missed the arrival appetizers and wine.

The Kachina Room is spacious, but lacks any furniture aside from the bed, a dresser, and a chair. The room pears massive because of the amount of dead space. There are few decorations on the walls too. These might seem like superfluous details, but they do matter - especially if you're going to charge $250 - $300 a night for the room. These are all easily fixable without ruining the rustic charm.

Breakfast is outside by the pool, which overlooks some vineyards. It's a great view and very relaxing. The food is just okay, but filling (waffles one morning and a quiche the next). Tom distributed some tasting vouchers the first morning. Most were 2-for-1 tasting deals - this is a nice little perk if you don't already have places lined up to visit.

Tom was a nice enough guy. A group of four that was staying that weekend ended up talking with him a lot, so I don't know how things would have been if there hadn't been a group like that staying. He mostly kept to himself.

All in all, the Desperado Inn is an average experience. I don't know if I would come here for a romantic getaway, but for a base to do a wine weekend, it was good enough. I'd like to see the rooms spruced up a bit, especially if the prices are going to be what they are. It's not a bad option if you get a deal through Amazon, TravelZoo, etc. since you're basically getting two nights for the price of one, but I don't know that I would pay full price to come back here. We didn't have the problems with Tom that other reviewers have talked about, but we did come away wishing that we'd gotten just a little bit more.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank cmryan07
Reviewed July 19, 2014

Terribly mid-represented on their website. Awful communication by owner/manager, ants in bathroom, sink falling off wall, early morning light and evening door light pour into room to make sleeping difficult, curtain tie-back falling off wall, small flat-screen TV on bureau not mounted on wall and bracket on back was broken. Wine served at evening wine tasting was cheap, bad wine from Livermore CA; served with taco chips, bottled salsa,1 sliced peach and a dozen almonds (pathetic). The two breakfasts were minuscule, and frankly, also pathetic! Don't believe the wonderful reviews as they must be fakes. All 4 rooms were filled with very unhappy, paying customers. AVOID!

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Richard B
Reviewed July 10, 2014

I received a Living Social voucher for a weekend stay here as a birthday gift. My husband and I decided to use it for our anniversary celebration. The town of Paso Robles was wonderful and we will definitely return, but we will never stay at the Desperado again. When I contacted Mr. Rigby to make our reservation, he requested my credit card information, even though I told him we had the voucher. I gave it to him believing that he would put a temporary hold on the card until he received my voucher. Instead he charged the full cost of the weekend stay to my card, including an extra tax. When we arrived he asked us twice to pay the tax again and I reminded him that he had charged it to my card. I also told him that he owed us a refund for the value of the voucher and he denied having charged my card. When I got home, I found the charge on my credit card statement and called and sent an e-mail to Mr. Rigby with copies attached, again requesting a refund. It has been a month and a half since our stay and still no refund. Because I did not purchase the voucher myself, I have been forced to tell the friend who gave it to me about the problem and she now has to take action via Living Social to correct the situation. What was supposed to be a celebration turned into a bad memory. On top of everything else, Mr. Rigby is an awkward and unpleasant man with no sense of customer service. He watched what we ate and drank like a hawk, and chastised his newly hired chef for giving my husband a second helping at breakfast. Instead of being a gracious host, he acted as if we were intruders in his home. Further, the room we stayed in had no closet for our clothes, no air conditioning, no decent amenities and no means of keeping sunlight from streaming into the room and directly into our eyes in the early mornings. We were not comfortable, to say the least.

5  Thank LSEROTA
Reviewed June 29, 2014

We just got home from a teriffic weekend at the Desparado Inn, Paso Robles. We chose to meet long time friends there because it was half way for each of us. First of all the inn is in a beautiful setting just outside of "town", maybe 20 minutes from the freeway. Close to several winerys. The accomodations were more then comfortable and decorated with taste, not over done, and making it very comfortable to relax. I think our highlite was our host, Tom Rigby. He was welcoming, enthusiastic and helpful from the time we started making our plans until we left. He helped my wife, who planned our trip, to plan and prepare a wonderful private meal for the 4 of us upon our arrival. He provide information and discount coupons for various places to vist. Breakfasts both Saturday and Sunday were excellent. We found we had many things in common with Tom especially music and ended out visit with Tom playing guitar for us after breakfast Sunday. This was a memoriable weeked for us and we certainly look forward to planning another get-away weeend there in the future.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jeff K
Reviewed June 6, 2014

The pictures look much better than the actual place The rooms were run down, broken blinds, cobwebs and spiders. The worst was, the owner left for the evening so we did not have the use of the main house to get movies, ice, use the fridge for our own leftovers. It was a hot weekend, and there was no air conditioning. The room was hot and although we could open doors, we didn't want to keep them open all night. I just don't like paying what we payed and then treated poorly once we were there. I would run a different direction and I wish I had read reviews before booking the room.

10  Thank Michelle H
Reviewed May 31, 2014

If you are looking for everything to be cookie-cutter perfect, choose a chain hotel. If you are looking for a lovely, quiet Bed & Breakfast, with its own quirky individuality - choose Desperado Inn! We recently spent a weekend here, and had a very good time. We wanted peace & quiet, and to not be bothered by others, and that's just what we got. The room we had, the Katchina, was lovely, with a very comfortable bed. We knew from the description that there was no TV service, but there was a truly great selection of classic & new DVDs to choose from & we enjoyed watching them. We had a fan in our room to cool off & a heater we did not need. There really wasn't need for bottled water, as the water from the tap was from a well, and tasted much better than any bottled brand. We loved the property's view - fields & vineyards & hills all around, and enjoyed a picnic lunch on the patio, which we bought from Trader Joe's, about 15 minutes away. We had breakfast on a small patio overlooking the pool & valley. It was small, but truly delicious with a great presentation, and obviously made by hand. We found Tom to be helpful & approachable, without ever interfering with our quest for solitude. We had a great time in town too (Paso Robles) & enjoyed walking around & shopping at Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory.

2  Thank chj54