“Beware, NOT worth the money!”
Review of Desperado Inn

Desperado Inn
Ranked #27 of 30 Paso Robles B&B and Inns
“Beware, NOT worth the money!”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I thought it strange when I left a message on a man's voicemail about booking the room and wondered, "is this a hotel or someone's home"? The website gave no indication, but in fact it was someone's home (I believe Tom) at one time and the decor and ambience give that vibe. As parts of the house are "off limits" and there are personal effects everywhere you definitely feel as though you're staying in someone's home. It didn't help that we got stuck in the "jr" suite (apparently the third suite listed is never booked because Tom, who continued living in it when he first booked rooms, still keeps his stuff in it). The giant painting of a little girl hanging over our bed was super creepy as well as the chimes on the breakfast patio. In my opinion, if you're going to turn your home into a "hotel" at least make the decor neutral.
At breakfast the first morning there were no eggs available so we were offered sausage and hash browns alone. The food was very diner like, nothing special and the cook was a bit difficult to communicate with.
The views are gorgeous and my husband and I were able to overlook most of the oddities and enjoy the break from the kids. But I would never recommend this place to anyone. In fact I came home and warned all my friends to pass on the Living Social deal if they ever see it come up. When I saw the deal recently posted again for even more money than we paid I decided to post this review. You are so much better off booking a room at a real hotel in downtown Paso, you'll have a much better experience, I'm sure.

• Stayed September 2012
12 Thank Anonymous6000
tomr67, Owner at Desperado Inn, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
It is always interesting to me that many people do not know what a bed and breakfast is, and are horrified to find out that they are staying in someones home when they arrive, as this party obviously did. How they could visit our website and then issue a complaint like this is hard to fathom. Our website is very clear on these issues and thousands of people have stayed here over the years We get very few complaints like this one.. This party should have stayed at a hotel where their penchant for neutral furnishings would have been met, instead of complaining about a $4000 painting by a well known San Francisco artist that was hanging on the wall. I do agree with their comment regarding our morning cook though, who has since been replaced with someone with a more engaging personality! Good help is hard to find!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed January 29, 2013

This was our first time at Villa Valdemosa. The Villa itself is capacious and nicely laid out. I think they have 5 guestrooms, but ours adjoined only one other and we heard nothing from that suite for the two nights we were there, though it was occupied. It sits on a high knoll, affording about a 270 degree view east, south and west. Beautiful on a clear morning. Both breakfasts were very good. Quiet, easy to sleep. Beautiful star show at night outside. If it had been warmer (it was the end of January) we would have sat in the gazebo and identified constellations. Tom, the owner is very knowledgeable about all the wineries in the area, knows the people who run them, can tell you which ones were recently sold and no longer so good, where the best deals are, etc. He has a stock of vouchers for free or half off tasting -- take advantage of them. He fully discloses that there is no cable TV (see the detail in the listing) but I had failed to notice that. No problem, there are hundred of DVDs for in-room film-watching. We just chose to read. All in all, very relaxing and enjoyable. Don't understand the negative comments here -- not our experience at all. Sounds like a different place to us.

Room Tip: We stayed in Syrah room. I needed a chair to sit at a small table to use my computer; a folding one...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Visalia, California, United States
Reviewed January 10, 2013

If I could choose less than one star I would. Tom, the owner, is extremely difficult. I had a trip booked and the hotel closed and never notified me. I only happened to find out by visiting their website a couple days before my trip. What a shock! When I called to reschedule there was no apology. Tom was rude and impossible to deal with. He runs a horrible business and NO ONE SHOULD stay here!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
17 Thank Alisha L

Travelers are raving about these Paso Robles hotels

Reviewed December 31, 2012

We booked 2 nights at the Villa Valdemosa, and found that nothing was as advertised. We had trouble booking dates, had no power overnight and no help on site when the power was out. The "breakfast" was simply a fried egg and a single sausage, unfortunately for me. The details are truly lacking at this property, and it appeared that the cleanliness factor was also not properly attended to. Just don't do it!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Lori W
tomr67, General Manager at Desperado Inn, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
It is unfortunate that this reviewer was unhappy with their stay with us. I noticed it was her first ever review and went over her complaints with my staff. Yes we did have a power outage , it happens a lot in the country. Her room was NOT dirty -as indicated, but may not have been up to her standards. This happens as we get a lot of first timers that are used to only staying in fine hotels where everything is sterile. The breakfast not only had 'an' egg, but sausage, toast, fruit, granola, fresh fruit, muffins, juice and coffee-but I see these items were not mentioned in her negative report. After several years in this business I have noticed repeating trends when visitors are not happy; they tend to make their entire experience look horrible when in fact all she wanted was a 2nd egg!!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 17, 2012

This was my second time to stay here with the Living Social voucher. The location is slightly out of town in beautiful wine country. I much rather stay out here with the views of the rolling hills covered in vines than in a town. The place is slightly hard to find in the dark so try to get there while it's still light. We didn't have the breakfasts either day this time around, but previous stay the breakfasts were interesting (one day the main course was banana waffles--not your typical breakfast) and we ate outside on the porch, which was delightful. The previous stay we were in the Portofino which was detached from the house. The room was spacious and we enjoyed the porch. I was disappointed that this time around we were getting the Syrah room which is inside the house--afraid it was going to be too much like staying at someone's house and that the room was going to be small. However, I was pleasantly surprised! We still had a very nice bathroom and quite spacious room. The bed was a little squeaky, but pretty comfortable. We also were right next to the movie selection, so we really took advantage of that once we were in for the night. We only briefly saw anyone on this stay, which was just fine with me. Everything went smoothly and the stay was

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed December 13, 2012

We purchased a two day package for our parent's anniversary. They just got home and called to tell us they had a well appointed room and enjoyed the Villa Valemosa. They said they didn't have breakfast til' late one morning and that things were rather disorganized. They told us that Tom Rigby left with his suitcases at some point after they arrived and left a young girl in charge. Our parents are easy to please and told us they had a good time using our gift, but I was a little frustrated at the lack of attention to details and customer service as advertised.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tamara A
Santa Monica
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Tom was very patient and helpful with a recent cancellation I had to make. I'll be visiting the Villa as soon as I can and Tom will be honoring the voucher I bought for the villa, which I really appreciate. Looking forward to visiting that charming place.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family