“A piece of heaven”
Review of Desperado Inn

Desperado Inn
Ranked #27 of 30 Paso Robles B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 24, 2012

What a wonderful location! I felt like I was on a hillside in Tuscany. Valdemosa is a beautiful, intimate villa overlooking the vineyards of Paso Robles. It was very peaceful and beautiful.
Leslie is gracious and accommodating. Whatever she can do to make your stay comfortable and relaxing, she is there to help. She truly is one of the most gracious hostesses I've ever encountered.
There are a few complaints on this site. The website is a bit over the top. Maybe it promises more luxury than it delivers, but the rooms were roomy, comfortable and clean. There was plenty of A/C for the 100 degree days we were there. The pool was clean and refreshing, and the view, day and night was amazing. We sat out on the patio after dark to watch the stars. I haven't seen a sky like that in years. It was beautiful.
Thank you Leslie for helping to make our vacation so enjoyable. Keep up the good work!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank emill38

Reviewed August 24, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for two nights in the Portofino room. Leslee made us feel at home right away, kept us full of good wine and food, and made great recommendations for what to do in town. The folks at Stillwater (the winery right next to the Villa) were also friendly, with great wine and prices. If you want to do more wine tasting, you'll definitely need a DD since there's a fair amount of driving unless you're just going to tasting rooms downtown.

Pros: Great view, kind host, quiet and relaxing atmosphere
Cons: Whirlpool tub was small, walls were thin--could hear talking/TV from the room next door

Reviewed August 22, 2012

More like a small resort than the typical B&Bs Sweetie and I have stayed at previously. The Hostess Leslee goes out of her way to explain "This is your home for the next few days." From inside to outside, free to roam, relax, and stretch out. Happy Hour with complementary snacks and some good wines. Breakfast in the morning was excellent. I ordered "Eggs Benedict" both morning because they were so good. Sweetie ordered an Omlete both days because they were delicious. We wanted to talke Leslee home with us, she is such a good cook. And she was always there to help with anything we needed. Nice view of surrounding area from the large hill where Villa Valdemosa is located.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Leslee was a very gracious and knowledgable hostess during our stay at Villa Valdemosa. Tom's property is a very peaceful and welcoming respite from a day filled with wine tasting and driving through the wonderful Paso Robles wine country. The food and service provided by Leslee (a great cook!) was wholesome and delicious. I highly recommend avoiding the crowded hotels and staying directly in wine country at this fantastic villa! You won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: I recommend the suite across the courtyard - very comfortable and discrete.
Reviewed August 11, 2012 via mobile

Spending 3 nights here to unwind. Spectacular southern view from east to west from the top of a hill 0.5 miles off the road. Swimming pool to cool off. Leslee takes great care of us with wine, cheese and snacks. Breakfast to order in the morning whenever we want. I had French Toast. Martha had eggs benedict. Smiles from Leslee and her wonderful fresh made zucchini bread with my coffee before breakfast when I was the first up.

The owner, Tom, plays wonderful accoustic guitar and was a pleasure to talk to. I feel like I am at home but still am at B&B with wineries all around.

Staying in the Syrah Suite in the main house. Walking around with no shoes on and my tie dye tshirt just like at home. Will stay here again and again when we are in Paso Robles.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We stayed at two B&Bs in Paso during our visit. We were celebrating our 17 year wedding anniversary and planned on treating ourselves to a special experience the last two nights of our get away at Villa Valdemosa. The first place we stayed was much more quaint but hit all the marks, privacy, back roads for walking in the cool evening or morning, well appointed private kitchen, private patio and super comfortable bed and linens. The cost was 30% less than what we paid at this B&B. Like other reviewers we noted a dirty and dysfunctional pool and spa, dead or dying neglected grounds. Also there were no blinds in the bathroom that faces the driveway and haphazard decor. The bed linens were nothing fancy and the bed was hard and lumpy. The pool furniture was cheap and faded from sitting out, there was very little decking around the pool to set a chair safely and no shade if you want to get out of the 100+ degree sun we had during our stay. The patio furniture was really uncomfortable, crowded into a small space and the table tops were wrought iron uneven surface that you couldn't put a wine glass or coffee cup on without it tipping over. Leslee did her best and worked hard to make it a pleasant experience and seems to be running the place single handedly. It was the little things she did that kept us there. She made us popcorn for our movie, brought us firewood for the fireplace on the patio, set out snacks for us and always wanted to make sure she was available to us should we need anything. She was always pleasant and upbeat and can carry a conversation in a bucket full of holes. When Tom showed up on the second day of our stay and struck up conversation as we were about to depart, he was interesting and cordial but we were ready to hit the road by then. Like others we saw the great potential in this place but we weren't spending our hard earned money for potential. I suggest they redo the website, spend the money to heat and maintain the pool and grounds, run the AC and offer it simply as a house for rent because it just doesn't have the panache that the website touts and people will continue to be disappointed unless they get what they are expecting.

9  Thank ccjennings
Reviewed August 8, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at the Villa for three days last week. The hostess Leslee was very nice and did her best to make our stay enjoyable. She even fixed me a different egg breakfast when I wasn't thrilled with poached eggs. I didn't even have to ask her she just did it for me and was very nice about it. She was very friendly and made our stay quite nice. We only talked to Tom, the owner once and he seemed nice and gave us a good tip on a local restaurant called the Long Chutte, I think. Anyway the food was great and inexpensive. They also had lots of coupons for the local wineries.

The Villa is a bit off the beaten tracks but the view is wonderful and the place is very well kept. The pool was clean, but not heated and the jacuzzi wasn't working at t he time, which is kind of sad because I was kind of looking forward to a soak. The bed was firm but ok, and the room was very nicely decorated and clean. He doesn't put the air conditioning on all the time, so if you like it very cold you won't like it here. The breakfasts were good, but nothing fancy or gourmet like some B&B's.

The only improvements that I would like to see is the Jacuzzi working, and maybe cable tv. They are not connected to tv and do have movies but I had already seen most of the ones that they had to offer, no recent releases.

I found out about this place through Bloomspot and got a deal of $139 per night which was reasonable. I wouldn't pay the regular price for this place.

Room Tip: We had the petite surat which was ok. Not sure what the others were like. There are no places near...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple