“Nice but not a Ritz”

Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in Pasadena
Denver, CO
“Nice but not a Ritz”
Reviewed October 10, 2006

I recently stayed at the Ritz Carlton Huntington for two separate trips in August.
This is a very nice hotel with nice grounds in a nice neighborhood. However, it is not your typical Ritz. Those who stay at Ritz Carlton's regularly should be aware of some key differences.
However, if you're looking for a high-quality hotel that's a step above the rest, this would be a good choice.

Rooms:
Very well appointed. Standard design and amenities to other Ritz Carltons

Service:
The service is a notch below other Ritz Carltons but still good. The key difference is that many of the workers seem to be young locals, so they may not be as integrated with the Ritz Carlton culture.
Example: A bellman counted his tips right in the middle of the lobby!

Common Areas: The gardens make for a nice walk. And it was nice to see people tossing a football on the main lawn. The pool is smaller than many, but is still very nice and good service

Dining: Exquisite - The Dining Room features award winning quicinse and the Cheff is excellent. The Terrace menu is better than most hotel cafes.
High Tea in The Lobby Lounge was very nice, but service wasn't great.

Overall: The Pasadena area is a fun find. And the Ritz Carlton Huntington is a nice location. Totally recommended, but I can understand that those who regularly stay at 5-star hotels may find room for improvement.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank PlanforFun

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Florida
Reviewed September 17, 2006

My wife and I have been going to this property for the past 5 years. We used to live in LA and would travel out to the Ritz for important events. Three years ago we moved to Florida and have always looked forward to our annual return trips to the Ritz. Over the last 3 years there has been a strong downward shift in the overall service, attention and quality of the property. The only consistency is the lack of real interest there seems to be in treating quests at this supposed 5 star property. This review is based on 3 seperate visits and while one or two infractions can be written off as a bad day, our sum total of 12 days visit only points to a broad accepatance of sub-quality service. On our most recent trip, from the first moment of pulling up to the hotel and waiting a long period for assistance with luggage, which eventually lead to my wife and I just walking in with all our suitcases and no assistance to immediatly shifting rooms because of a serious ant infestation in our bathroom, our trip was horrendous. When informing the front desk of our finding of the ants and the need to change rooms, no one was sent up for 45 minutes which forced us to march down to the front desk and demand an immediate change. We were shifted into a smaller room on a different floor where again, there was an ant problem! While not as bad as the first instance, shoes & slippers were kept on for the duration of our visit. A large can of Raid was purchased and kept in an easy access spot for quick use! There was never even a followup call from the desk to make sure everything was OK with us. Furniture, rugs, a/c equipment all seemed very worn and in need of updates. As peope who has experienced 5 star hotels and resorts all our lives, the ability to compare and critique this property is easy. They want to present the property as a top notch, classy enviornment staffed with experienced people. I beg to differ and will make the trip from Beverly Hills to my business in Pasadena in the future.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — service
  • Tips/Secrets — go somewhere else, lots of choices
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank invest1213
montreal
Reviewed September 11, 2006

I was in Pasadena for labor day weekend and stayed at the Ritz-Carlton Huntington Hotel & Spa. I expected this to be a relaxing weekend for my family and myself. What I got instead was a steady stream of weddings I think there was 8 in a period of 48 hours . I could tell that the wedding parties did not like this . The guests of the wedding parties seemed very confused. Many ending up at the wrong banquet room . Also the guests of the hotel had limited services due to all the over-crowding. The rooms are also in need of updating . Stained carpet in room , bathroom was in need of a complete overhaul,not what you would expect from the Ritz . I was told the weddings are a big problem at this hotel all summer long . The pool area is also not that good , small and very crowded . I would not return to this hotel unless these problems are adressed.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank jaccli
Houston
Reviewed September 10, 2006

We stayed one night at the Ritz in Pasadena and although the surrounding neighborhood is lovely and the hotel has some historic charm to it, we will not return. There are plenty of other places to stay in LA.

When we first arrived in our room we found a room service table full of someone elses dirty dishes, half eaten meal, and cigarette stubs!!! I couldn't believe that the room was made up, but this table was sitting right there in the middle of the room! YUCK! When we called the front desk to tell them, I expected a sincere apology and someone to come up quickly but the front desk acted like a recorded message - "I'll send someone" and the person they sent about 45 minutes later didn't speak a word of English, so there was no apology from anyone. These things happen at even the nicest places, but usually they apologize or attempt to make good on the mistake!

Our room had a jungle of overgrown weeds outside our patio and mismatched patio furniture. I would at least expect matching patio chairs for the Ritz Carlton! We took a walk around the property and the landscaping in many areas looked run down.

Parking was $25 a night; at least they offered us a bottle of water one time we returned.

Not up to Ritz Carlton standards, stay somewhere else.

• Liked — nice bathrooms
  • Disliked — poor service, expensive parking
  • Stayed November 2005, traveled with family
2 Thank beachtraveler404
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed August 20, 2006

I stayed at this hotel a second time, as a result of a poor experience the first time, as a guest of the hotel. It is a lovely property and well situated for downtown LA. The rooms in the old building have been refurbished, but not the Lanai building. They are very comfortable. But that is the nicest thing I can say about this hotel. The service is horrible--the valet parking (the only way to park, by the way) is famously bad. One night, we saw the line of people waiting to get in to the hotel for a wedding, tailing back five blocks! The restaurants and bars have equally rotten service--if you can find anyone to serve you at all. Housekeeping never came the second evening for turndown or, if they did, they did not turn down the bed or empty the trash. They never delivered the newspaper either, and when I called to complain, they sent one around--and charged me for it. (The charge was removed at the check out desk when I complained again.)

The property wants to be a five star property, but I have had more care taken with me not only at Four Seasons, but also at Hiltons and Hyatts. I have to say that the bad reviews here are warranted. The staff is just inexperienced and the management does not know enough to keep the bars it says will be open open. In my view, it is better to spend your money elsewhere if you want five star service. If you want a decent play to stay and don't mind $25 for valet parking and don't mind eating off property, then the rooms are good enough here.

• Liked — Room Size
  • Disliked — Smell
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay clear of this place until it gets new management.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ALKDVS
Venice, California
Reviewed July 16, 2006

We stayed at Ritz Carlton Kapulua and enjoyed it immensely, so when we had the opportunity to stay at the Ritz in Pasadena, we jumped at it. The Pasadena Ritz is no Kapulua Ritz, however, it is still lovely. The room is awesome with fluffy pillows and bedding. It was very comfortable. We always enjoyed the turn down service. The Pasadena RItz is not has huge as the Kapulua Ritz and seems a bit more suited for corporate events than family vacations. We were a bit disappointed with the pool because it is small and quite crowded, on the weekend. Lots of kids and families so very noisy. If you like quiet time, then try not to hang out by the pool.

We enjoyed the jazz at the bar on Sat. night, very delightful and soulful. All is all we were relaxed and enjoyed our experience at the Ritz.

• Stayed July 2006
Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 14, 2006

We just returned from a three-day stay at The Rtiz following an extended vacation in San Diego. I had issues with the spa and pool area. First, the spa. The attendent made it very clear that she really didn't want to be there. She handed me my key to my locker and said "I will let you find it". I was not shown where the spa slippers were located so I had to walk around barefoot. I was not shown where any of the saunas, steam showers, etc were located so I had to walk aimlessly around the spa looking for them. The fresh fruit platter was not placed in The Carriage Room until late mid-morning after I had received my three spa treatments. I usually have fruit for breakfast and assumed there would be a platter available. My stomach growled throughout my massage. Enough about the spa...I wasn't impressed. The pool area was another issue. We had a hard time finding an availble lounge chair or lounge chair covers and now we know why. After stricking up conversations with several guests, we found out they were not guests at all. They lived in the neighborrhood where the hotel is located and were just "hanging out by the pool". Some even lived in LA and were just swimming because "the pool at their apartment complex is not as nice". I paid good money to stay there and I had to wait to get a chair while others didn't pay a dime and had the lounge chairs closest to the water all day long. My children ordered a sushi plate and cheese platter everyday we were at the pool even though it is not on the pool menu. Many guests asked where we got them so they might want to put this on the pool menu. Overall, the room was fine. There were no strange stains or odors and room service was always on time. The front desk, concierge and bell hops were attentive and cordial. My husband and I are serious "foodies" and we truly enjoyed The Dining Room. The quality of food was wonderful and the service was impecible. We enjoyed our stay, they just need to fine tune some things.

• Stayed July 2006
2 Thank Austin52
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pasadena
The Westin Pasadena
#4 of 31 in Pasadena
The Beverly Hills Hotel
The Beverly Hills Hotel
#1 of 15 in Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel)
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
#2 of 15 in Beverly Hills

Been to The Langham Huntington, Pasadena, Los Angeles? Share your experiences!