2,072 results
All reviewsterrace restaurantthe roycebeautiful groundsritz carltonjapanese gardenmain buildingtennis courtslanai buildinghorseshoe gardenthe cottagesbeautiful hotelold worldresidential neighborhoodclassic hotelclub levelturn down serviceold school
Reviewed September 13, 2008

My stay at the Langham was the worst overnight experience of my entire life. Not only was service horrid, the worker at the front desk was rude and completely uninviting. I left early in the morning in hopes of saving my weekend.

I was also charged an additional $110 for services I did not order. When I tried to correct this, I was met with the same care as I had during my stay. HORRIBLE.

I will make sure to protect any family of friends from this hellhole excuse for a luxury hotel.

On a more positive note, the actual hotel room is quite nice.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 5, 2008

We were treated like kings! I was somewhat ambivalent about the cost of the room, but after our stay there I think we paid too little! My sons and I were traveling through southern california and I booked the Langham very last minute. I was trying to decide whether we should stay in old town Pasadena or here and I made the best choice. The staff was extremely courteous, helpful and professional and every time we walked in the lobby, we were welcomed as if we had just arrived home. We stayed in five different hotels on our trip, some more expensive than the Langham, but this was by far the best hotel we stayed in. Worth every penny! This hotel is on par with Hotel Bel-Air or Manele Bay or the Lodge at Pebble Beach at a fraction of the cost.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank SierraLady
Reviewed September 4, 2008

I was a big fan of in-town getaways long before soaring gas and airline prices coined the term "staycation". We stayed here for 3 nights over the Labor Day weekend. It was my closest getaway ever, since we live about 10 minutes from the hotel. This was my first overnight stay, but we have attended functions such as weddings here and have dined here.

The hotel itself was built in 1906 and soon bought by railroad tycoon and art collector Henry Huntington. From 1954 to 1985 it was the Huntington Sheraton--I remember dining as a child in the very formal Ship Room and having to wear a tie. The hotel was forced to close in 1985 due to new earthquake standards. It was demolished and rebuilt with an almost identical exterior design and reopened in 1991 as the Ritz Carlton Huntington Hotel. It was rechristened the Langham less than a year ago. Luckily and wisely, the new owners have changed very little since the hotel's heyday as a Ritz. It remains a glamorous, elegant and beautiful hotel befitting its location in the most exclusive residential area of Pasadena, adjacent to San Marino. It seems most of the employees have stayed on; the transition virtually seamless. Service is topnotch; there is even a host at the entrance that will escort you to various hotel locales. As noted in a previous TA review, some vestiges of the Ritz remain--the cobalt blue water goblets used for room service (but not in the restaurants), the silverware, the evacuation plan on the guest room door. The lovely Viennese and Georgian ballrooms are original to the hotel, as is the Picture Bridge that links the main building with the cottages and lanai building and has 40 California scenarios painted (in 1932) on its gables.

We arranged to be dropped off for our stay, thus avoiding the $25 overnight valet parking fee. We also brought our own bikes, although the hotel has rentals. The guest rooms seem to come in many shapes and sizes--ours was not large but well done. The bathroom marble looks identical to that at the Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel. There are rooms and suites in the main building (the top 2 floors are Club levels), in several cottages, and in the lanai building popular with families because it is closest to the pool (too noisy for me). A number of private residences ring the hotel property's outer edges.

The grounds are fairly large (23 acres) and well landscaped. There is a large Horseshoe garden , Japanese garden, central courtyard, and a separate spa/fitness center building (not too large but well equipped). The pool also is not too large but well-serviced, with live music some days. The hotel has always been very popular for weddings--there were 3 in one day (weddings and receptions) while we were there. A prominent local college football team and a visiting professional baseball team were also staying there--the football team using many closely guarded public rooms for top secret meetings.

The Terrace Restaurant continues to serve the very popular Sunday Champagne Brunch, begun by the Ritz. Its cost has increased with time ($75 now) and they no longer serve 3 types of caviar, but it remains a delicious and decadent splurge, a buffet with great variety and presentation. On other days, the Terrace serves a breakfast buffet for $25 that is still quite ample. The Dining Room, the hotel's formal Michelin starred restaurant , was closed for refurbishing but reopened Sunday morning to serve breakfast to those who didn't want the big brunch. A portrait of Henry Huntington is just outside the Dining Room.

The neighbourhood is great for walks, jogs, and bike rides--full of large stately homes including several by Greene and Greene, the grandest being the Blacker House on Hillcrest Ave., privately owned and gorgeously maintained. The hotel has a shuttle to commercial shopping/dining areas of Pasadena--Lake Ave. and Old Town. The Huntington Library, Art Gallery and Botanical Gardens, once Henry Huntington's home, is about 2 miles away and well worth a visit.

Overall, this was a great relaxing stay. This hotel goes to the top of my staycation list.

• Stayed: August 2008
5  Thank pillowsofwanderlust
Reviewed August 24, 2008

Stayed for 3 nights (Fri-Mon) and had a wonderful all-around experience. Stayed on the Club Level, a must for this property. I have stayed at the finest hotels all over the world, and the Club amenities AND SERVICE at the Langham are in the top 3. Great breakfast choices, mid-stay snacks that easily serve as a nice lunch (wine and champagne also), afternoon tea with all the goodies, late afternoon snacks with full open bar, and evening desserts with open bar again. For the 3 nights, we ate nowhere else except for the Club Lounge (plus a wedding reception one night off property). The ladies in the lounge, Eva and Adina, were SUPERB!!! Room itself was very nice. Just booked a "normal club room" which had a double balcony overlooking the horshoe gardens on the 7th floor. Be sure to ask for a 7th floor w/ balcony (8th floor club rooms do not have balconies). Pool was relaxing, although my one gripe was that the pool tile seems some renovations. Service at the pool, though, like elsewhere on the property, was excellent. Great live music too (at the pool) to add to the overall opulent atmosphere. Just a great weekend experience!!

Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank LoveGrandHotels
Reviewed August 10, 2008

If you're looking to splurge in Pasadena, look no further. This place is sheer decadence. I arrived too early to check in, but the front desk took care of booking me into a room that had been vacated and was being cleaned. They went ahead and sent my bags up ... standard stuff, but I have to admit they were very, very helpful and wonderful to deal with. I waited in the courtyard area, which was very serene, until some local friends arrived for the famous Sunday brunch -- which was absolutely fantastic! The service was stellar, our mimosas weren't empty for more than a minute. The food was good, be sure to save room for dessert! My room was a bit of a walk from the lobby, and I took the long way more than once unintentionally (so get a map). I had a view of the pool, which I wasn't crazy about, but when I returned at 7p it was quiet (a relief). The beds are ridiculously comfortable, so is the lounge chair in the room. The bathroom is nice (though my tub was chipped on the bottom and along the drain). I loved the chandeliers all around ... lovely touch. Everything about this place is regal. Other things ... the toiletries are Bulgari, so very fragrant but very chic and nice. I had room service, and it arrived super fast and was piping hot and very fresh. Also very delicious. I was slightly annoyed that I had to use the valet, but the guys were so great and it really didn't take too long ot get my car when I needed it (just hate having to wait on it). In terms of location, this place is in a very swanky, residential part of town so there isn't much in the immediate vacinity. Oh! Super comfy robes in the closet. I don't think I can say any more about this place!!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business