The Langham Huntington, Pasadena, Los Angeles
Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in Pasadena
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Old Charm”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

We stayed at The Langham Huntington, Pasadena during Christmas holiday. The hotel is BEAUTIFULLY decorated.

We checked in at around 7pm, and were assign a room on the 2nd floor. Upon entering the room, we found out that the room has probably been viewed by other people, and the bed was not properly made up. The front desk promptly move us to another room.

Our room facing the swimming pool, so it is quit noisy up to 10pm. It is not a problem for us.
The bathroom is very small and in need of updating, considering this is a 5 stars property. So does their very old elevator.

Our room has a nespresso machines with coffee and tea provided.
Bathroom is also well stock with all kinds of toiletteries.
The internet connection in our room is very poor, but you can go to the lobby area for good connection.

We had a chance to have breakfast at The Terrace. There is a choice of buffet and ala carte. The service is very good. We tried to booked Christmas Eve dinner at the Royce, but the restaurant is fully booked.

Their valet parking service is also very good, you don't have to wait too long, even on the busy day. They even wash our car on the first night. A nice surprise.

Coming to this hotel, I realized that this property is quit old, so I don't have high expectation. However I was very very impress with the location and the hotel ground. It is a place where you can really relax and the area is very safe for a stroll. The hotel is actually in the upscale suburb of San Marino, so when you drive or stroll around the hotel, you will be able to see the houses decorated with christmas lights. very pretty sights.

During check out, we just found out that, our room package was included breakfast credits of $40 everyday, which was not properly informed during our check in. So the hotel waived our valet fee in exchange for the unused breakfast credits. I think it is a very nice gesture.

I recommend this hotel for those who are looking for a relaxing holiday. I myself cannot wait to go back to the Langham Huntington.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank blessu2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Athens, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

This is quality older property that the hotel and the landscaping are being well maintained by current management. The staff is very friendly, helpful and promptly responded to any request I made ever at a time when the hotel was filled to capacity with folks attending the Rose Bowl Parade and game. We had meals in all three restaurants on the property and were pleased with the food and service received. The reasons I did not rate the hotel as excellent is minor things but are irritants, first drink prices are to high, even a soft drink, coffee or tea is over priced and the wine and beer prices amazed. Second is the Internet service you are told it is complementary which one is but it is as slow as the old dial up systems we had years ago, for higher speed there is a charge, what I especially did not like is when you pick up their system you are given a choice as to slow or high speed with a check mark already in the high speed for which there is a charge. In summation this is a wonderful hotel with a well trained staff but at least to this guest had a few minor issues that caused some concern.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gymdawgfan
Silicon Valley, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We stayed in a corner room, which expanded our views, and room footage. We arrived on a Saturday, three wedding receptions were taking place, and the beauty of the place made me want to be a guest at the weddings! The whole hotel is grand, the grounds are stunning, the service levels top notch, restaurants are elegant, and prices to match. the bathroom was spacious, done in grey marble, and included the amenity box; everything in pink - shoe horn, pen, bath salts, sewing kit. Love driving to the hotel as you pass by elegant homes on your way to this haven of old grandeur.

Room Tip: corner rooms offer expanded views and more space for modest increase.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dappledsunlight
Rolling Hills
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We were fortunate enough to sponsor the City of Torrance's 2013 Rose Bowl Parade float, and as such had many friends coming in from the East Coast to party with us. Rented 3 Rooms at the Langham, a suite in the Clare Vista Cottage (Room 1603) and the Wisteria cottage with 2 rooms. We had 4 nights booked, with dinner at the Royce Restaurant (in the Langham) on NY eve. I cannot say enough positive things about the entire experience, especially coming "home" to the Langham. The staff is AWESOME, from the valets, to the front desk, the room service folks, everyone who works there was really service focused. I believe it all starts at the top, so the General Manager and management staff there have done a great job, it is obvious people who work there love their jobs and it shows. The food was fab, the rooms were clean, great linens, furniture, tennis courts, pool, and a wonderful spa. The large room in the Wisteria cottage would be my recomendation . . . we had our frineds there as the room we had in the Clare Vista cottage had a piano, and we arranged for a player, to help us sing in the New Year. We did nothing but laugh, party and drink LOTS of Bubbly. If you ever have a chance to stay there, do it. It is well worth the price.

Room Tip: Large room in the Wisteria cottage
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank garydojo
Lake Charles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I don't write a lot of reviews, even though we travel extensively and always first class. After seeing some negative reviews of this fabulous hotel, I felt that I had to respond.
I don't know where the other people stayed but it simply could not have been the same hotel in which we stayed.
This is one of the very finest hotel operations that I have ever experienced. The staff is exceptionally well selected and impeccably trained.
I felt like I was staying at a deluxe private club being cared for be people who truly cared about my comfort and enjoyment.
From the time Fred our bellman asked us to let him know if there was anything he could do to make our stay better until the time he shook my hand as we left, every staff member went "above and beyond".
By way of example, when I mentioned that the salsa with my breakfast was a little spicy furor my taste, the next order came with a milder salsa. A small thing to some but to me, evidence of exceptional guest care.
In short, the building is in great shape, the people truly care, the food is delicious, I am not sure what more you could ask.
If you enjoy first class service in a beautiful historic and storied setting, the this is the place for you.
We have already made two more reservations for later his year, including for Breeder's Cup and hope we can find more time to go even more often.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have incredible views of city lights at night.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
West Hartford, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

From the outside this hotel looks right at home in Pasadena. However, once you pass the lobby the hotel becomes a bit of maze and feels dark and deserted. I was traveling with two other people and we all had trouble finding our rooms which were located in three different areas of the hotel. Also, when I arrived in my first room there were people in it. I returned to the front desk and asked for a new room given that mine was occupied. The gentleman apologized but did not do anything outside of explain that the room appeared available in his system.

I slept well and had a decent dinner from room service. In the morning the shower took so long to heat up that I thought I would have to go without that day. Luckily that did not happen.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

First, the positives. It's a gorgeous hotel property, with an obviously rich heritage. Used to be a Ritz, now a Langham. Beautiful, old world style. Was there on business and got a random upgrade to the concierge level-- what a treat! My room was beautiful and comfortable, and the concierge suite was truly fabulous.

However, it's clear this is an aging property for the aged, and management doesn't seem interested in updating, upgrading, or attracting a younger generation. The first tip off is at the entrance -- the lantern the lawn jockey(!) holds to greet you is broken, apparently for some time. The furniture and carpeting are old-fashioned, and show some wear. My corner room had a beautiful view - of the satellite TV dish propped up on the roof below! And while I saw only a few other actual guests, those I did see were well into their 60's.

That said, I'm a sucker for old world hotel style. And I'd stay there again in a skinny minute. Especially if I can get that upgrade again!

Room Tip: Concierge level! You can breakfast there, afternoon snack on candies and goodies, or grab free cock...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
LanghamPasadena, Manager at The Langham Huntington, Pasadena, Los Angeles, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear ChrisRogers46,

Thank you for your feedback. We are so pleased that you received a complimentary upgrade to our exclusive club level and that you enjoyed the food and beverage presentations throughout the day, as well as our personalized concierge services. It is truly the best way to experience the hotel!

Thank you for pointing out the damage to the small lawn jockey at the front entrance. Our engineers have since removed the statue for repair. Our management teams are constantly monitoring the property for necessary refurbishments and upgrades, and we’re pleased to share that we have recently improved a number of spaces throughout the hotel, including our cottages, The Royce, The Terrace, The Tap Room, our luxury gift boutique and The Huntington Spa. We also have plans in place for future improvements in 2013.

We truly appreciate your feedback and hope that you will stay with us again in the future.

The Langham Huntington, Pasadena
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pasadena
DusitD2 Hotel Constance Pasadena
Sheraton Pasadena
Sheraton Pasadena
#7 of 31 in Pasadena
4.0 of 5 stars 719 reviews

Been to The Langham Huntington, Pasadena, Los Angeles? Share your experiences!