“Decent price, clean room”

GreenTree Pasadena Inn
Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Pasadena
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Nice location. Easy walk to several nice places to eat and Whole Foods across the way.

Room was clean and well maintained. I didn't get a chance to eat breakfast but would like to check it out if I stay here again.

If I have to stay in Pasadena again, I would come back here.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank jjmail94526

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Good value for Pasadena. It is a Motor Inn, rooms are simple and clean, but we thought the bed was great. Friendly staff and decent breakfast. We would stay here again. It is on main Arroyo Street, Arroyo Chop House was great food.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank KAinReno
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is a good motel with a very good price for the location. I needed to stay one night in Pasadena on business, and this was the most convenient location for me. The room was large and clean, the bed was reasonably comfortable, everything worked, and the staff were friendly and helpful. In short, nothing to complain about and the price was right. It is easy to get to, it has plenty of free parking, and it is within walking distance of Old Pasadena's shopping and restaurants. I would stay there again. The pool looked nice but I didn't have a chance to swim.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Matt K
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Better than the standard motel, even though it has all the elements of a motel. Best features: very friendly and accommodating staff, nice pool, clean, decent breakfast, great location, sufficient parking. On the downside: water pressure was not good, one of the reading lights did not work, bed seemed sloped to one side. All in all, I would probably stay again if I'm watching my dollars.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Dick N
Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

I just recently stayed at the Pasadena Inn and had a great experience. The hotel rooms were simple and clean and at a great value. Even better is that everything I needed was within walking distance--there is a beautiful Whole Foods across the street and a wonderful restaurant called the Parkway Grille down the street. Even better is that our room had a fridge and microwave!

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Stephanie W
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed in a 2 queen size bed room. Everything seemed to be quite new, very clean and the rooms were huge. The breakfast was also quite okay for a U.S. motel (some fruits and cereals, sweet stuff). For a more complete meal, try the whole foods market on the other side of the street. The location was rather quiet and good for Pasadena but it takes a long ride to Santa Monica etc.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Phil P
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My son attended a weekend drum workshop at a music academy located in Pasadena. The Pasadena Inn was close to the school and offered a discount for workshop students, so it was a no-brainer for he and I to stay there for four days – Wednesday through Saturday nights. I made reservations four months in advance for a room with two queen beds. About three weeks prior to the workshop, my wife decided to escape the Phoenix heat and join us, so I called the hotel to confirm that we were booked in a room with two queen beds.

We drove in from Phoenix on Wednesday night. My wife called the hotel around 7pm to confirm that we were arriving and that we had a room with two queen beds. See where this is going? Yep, they had us booked in a room with a king bed, just like another reviewer here. Great start to our stay, no?

When we got there, the clerk was apologetic but there was nothing he could do other than provide us a rollaway and put our name on a list to get the first queen room that opened up. The next morning I went to the front desk. A different guy was there and he was also apologetic – particularly because he took my reservation the first time and my call three weeks earlier to confirm, and he confirmed for two queen beds. He had no idea what happened, but he had a queen opening up later that morning. We had to leave before the room opened up, so he had the staff move our luggage and junk from the king room to the new room with two queens. Ok, so a rough start, but the staff worked to correct it, and the worst that happened is my kid had to sleep on an uncomfortable cot one night.

Let’s move on to the hotel itself. It’s not a resort. It’s a hotel with rooms that open to a central courtyard that is comprised of a parking lot and swimming pool. It’s a place to sleep after you’ve done stuff somewhere else all day. The rooms are nothing fancy, and the beds we were in weren’t really very comfortable, but the place was clean and the cleaning crew did a nice job each day. The king room we were in was small – there was just barely enough room to unfold the cot. The two-queen room was spacious. We could have had several cots in there. Both rooms had nice, big, newer, flat-screen TVs. But as is the case in so many hotels the TVs weren’t fed a high-definition signal, and the selection of channels wasn’t that extensive. Good enough though. We weren’t there to watch TV.

The parking lot is tight, but there’s also an underground garage so there was never a problem finding a spot. They have a decent breakfast each morning with the usual waffles, bagels, toast, cereal, coffee and juices. The woman working the breakfast room was on top of things, making sure nothing ran out and all the tables were clean. They have wireless internet but the connection was maddeningly slow. Good enough for checking email with some patience, but impossible to surf the web. The pool was clean but rarely had people in it.

On Friday night I was awakened by a man and woman having what sounded like a lover's quarrel somewhere outside near our room. Unfortunately they weren't speaking English, otherwise it might have been entertaining. As it was, it was just irritating. I called the front desk and there was no answer. My wife cranked up the AC to drown them out.

Obviously the location for our purposes was great, as it was near the school, but it was also just a short walk to Colorado St. There’s a Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s down the street and a cupcake shop adjacent to the hotel (try it, trust me). The neighborhood felt very safe, even walking home from Colorado St at around midnight.

Aside from the rough start, it was a decent stay. I'd give it a "very good" if it weren't for the beds, the slow internet, and the front desk not answering the phone when I called to complain about the argument outside my room.

Room Tip: The higher your room number on any given floor, the closer you'll be to the elevator. It's n...