“Great Place to Stay for the Parade and Rose Bowl”
Review of Hilton Pasadena

Hilton Pasadena
Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Pasadena
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel many times as that our son lives in Pasadena. This was our first time going to the parade and Rose Bowl. It was truly impressive how "on" the staff was and how well suited the hotel is to accomodating their guests for this event. Breakfast was ready early in the morning, lunch was served early to accomodate those getting over to the game, and shuttles were available to take us over to where the bus took you to/from the game, It was a hectic day but so worth doing!! Thanks to the Hilton staff for getting it so right every step of the way!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Lisa M
HiltonPasadena, General Manager at Hilton Pasadena, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

I thank you so much for such glowing remarks about our hotel during your Rose Parade visit. My staff will be equally happy to hear how impressed you were with their service.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Pasadena.

HILTON PASADENA

Write a ReviewReviews (1,288)

Reviewed January 14, 2013

The hotel is conveniently located to the Civic Center (walking 4 minutes).
The lobby / public areas are decent.
The hallways for sleeping rooms make you feel like you are in an "old hotel".
The rooms have card-swipe for entrance, but the technology is OLD - really old. They need to upgrade those for safety.
Now let's address the sleepign rooms - the rooms need a MAJOR RENOVATION:
-- Bathrooms are old with tub/shower combo with a fabric shower curtain (yuck).
-- Cottage cheese ceilings
-- Indoor / outdoor carpet on the balcony
-- Old, wall-unit (but on the floor) heating / cooling
-- New(er) TV
-- Bed linens have been changed out to all white: down comforters
-- Old, ugly, gold-stripe wallpaper
-- Ugly (and old) dark-wood furniture and headboards
-- We had room 821 which had a large counter-area that most rooms didn't have with sink and microwave but no mini-fridge (it was a strange part of the room)
All in all - I will give the hotel (2) out of (5) stars.
Hilton really needs to fix it up and not just take advantage of the fact that they are always busy because of their location. The property is an embarassment to the Hilton name.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

I would like to thank you for your comments about the hotel. Your observations on the physical aspects of the hotel are valid. We do recognize the need to update, so this year, we are commencing on the first phase of our improvement and renovation plans which are scheduled for completion in two years time. I hope the rest of your stay was comfortable. We hope you consider us again, and we look forward to another opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

This is the average run of the mill Hilton property. I feel fortunate that we were able to use points during this time to go to the Rose Bowl Parade as the hotel rates skyrocket in Pasadena during the New Years week. Management did send us really nice chocolates and bleacher seat cushions to use during the parade. The valet guys did a great job during a very busy time.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jeano36422

I thank you very much for commenting on your recent stay during the Rose Bowl Parade. I’m sorry to hear you viewed our hotel as a “run of the mill Hilton”. For your future consideration, our hotel will be undergoing some improvements and renovation commencing this year, which hopefully will address your comments; however, if you were referring to the service you experienced, I would like very much to hear details about it as I take great pride on our service. I will certainly share your comments to the valet staff on the great job during this very hectic time. We look forward to your future visit to the Hilton Pasadena.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed in room 725, a room which faces a rooftop on top of which is heating/ventilation equipment. Many rooms face this direction - it's the back of the hotel. And the constant, never-stopping whine and hum of this equipment all night, even 7 stories up, was appalling (note other reviews complaining about thin walls.). Amazingly, I found a brand new pair of EAR PLUGS in the bedside table - either the hotel provided them (doubt it!) or someone else left them for the next poor room resident! Either way, they were appreciated and really helped!

The rooms are average, front desk service slow and the parking charge a disappointment.

Room Tip: Maybe the front-facing rooms are less noisy!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

Rooms , furniture, decorations are old. Feels like in an old motel when you are in the room.Quite surprised this is a hilton! I stayed in the nearby much much better westin for about the same price. Good thing, they have valet as well as self parking.

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank wsunarko

I thank you for your comments about the old feel of our hotel. As I have mentioned in my replies similar to your observations, our company is commencing this year on the scheduled improvements and renovations, with completion slated within two years. We hope this will enhance the look and feel of the hotel. Please know your comments are shared with our team. We hope you consider the Hilton Pasadena on your next visit. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed three nights over the new year, the first paid and the other two using HHonors points. We are gold members.

Good points:
Excellent service. Every staff member went out of their way to be friendly and helpful. The standouts were the shuttle driver on NYE and the concierge (I'm sorry we didn't get their names). We also had a friendly encounter with the night manager, and pleasant service from the breakfast servers. Considering that the hotel was full with Rose parade and game attendees, and that it was a holiday period, everyone did a great job as far as we were concerned. We were very pleased with our complimentary parade seat cushions and See chocolate mints, delivered to our door by hotel staff. Also we were quite impressed that the staff was able to clean the rooms on the morning of Jan. 1 while we were at the parade.

Room comfort and location. We were on the 10th floor looking east - loved the view. The beds were very comfortable. (My husband would have liked an ottoman for the easy chair.)

Hotel location - we easily walked to our grandstand seats for the parade, and to Lake street restaurants. We could have walked to Old Pasadena but used the hotel shuttle. We were a short drive from the Huntington Library/Museum/Gardens.

Breakfast buffet - we had the complimentary buffet as gold members. It included a large variety of items including about eight kinds of fresh fruit, meats (lox) and cheeses, yogurt, various breads including croissants and muffins, hot oatmeal, cold cereal, and much more. We also were able to get several choices of juice and coffee. The server brought us paper cups so we could take coffee with us to the parade.

Not as good points:
Parking cost. The $18 for self parking is tied for second highest in the local area. The actual process of self parking was fine.

Electrical outlets. There was space for only two plugs at the desk; the only other outlets we could access were in the bathroom right next to the sink. With two cell phones, a couple of cameras, a laptop and another device - it became tricky. We are used to the better hotels having more outlets, preferably including one at bedside.

I could see what other people meant about the noise, but in our room it was clearly coming through the connecting door to the next room. We could eavesdrop on our neighbor's phone call! Perhaps there is a way to better soundproof that door?

All in all we were very happy with our stay and wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Pasadena Hilton.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MGreene16
HiltonPasadena, General Manager at Hilton Pasadena, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

I am so delighted to hear your kind review of our hotel and the staff. As you mentioned, my staff makes me so proud, they are truly outstanding; I will certainly give them a much deserved recognition for making your stay something special and memorable over the New Year. I hope you were able to put the parade seat cushions to great use during your stay. The City of Pasadena does not have overnight parking; however, for your future visit the City Police, among other venues, sell a temporary overnight street parking permit for $3.00 per night. I appreciate your comments about some physical aspects of our hotel. Our company has plans scheduled within the next two years to make some improvements, one of which is soundproofing the walls. We are currently reviewing possible solutions to the outlet issue. We thank you for not hesitating to recommend our hotel despite of the walls and the food venues.
We can’t wait to welcome you back on your future visit to the Hilton Pasadena.
Best regards,

Reviewed January 3, 2013

stayed their after spending a night in SD. The rate was a little over priced. Had to pay $20 extra per day to park my car. the service was okay
loved the area though. pasadena is the perfect place to spend a relaxing vacation up in the mountains

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

I would like thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit with us; I share all comments with my staff in our daily meetings. I’m sorry you found our service to be only “okay”. I take great pride in our friendly and attentive service, I will certainly address this with my staff to ensure we deliver consistent excellent hospitality to every guest every time. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hilton Pasadena.

Best regards,