“Many positives and some negatives”
Review of Hilton Pasadena

Hilton Pasadena
Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Pasadena
Reviewed March 25, 2012

There are many positives and some negatives.
In general, the positives were the excellent service which is conducive to big events and the negative was the dated decor.

Front Desk:
The front desk function was excellent. We visited during a very busy time and they had adequate staff to check us in quickly and efficiently. The woman at the front desk said they were having a computer problem which was slowing the process, but I did not notice any delay.

Rooms:
As some have mentioned, the rooms and decor is dated. We had a suite and an extra room.
Suite: It was huge. Strangely enough, it did not have a small refrigerator. The hotel promptly sent up a refrigerator (thank you) but there wasn't any inconspicuous place to put it. The bedroom was large and the suite had a separate vanity area with 2 sinks as well as another large counter in the adjoining bathroom. I thought the bedroom closet situation was awkward and about half the closet was difficult to get to. Plenty of drawer space in the bedroom and plenty of storage in the public areas The suite had a lot of wasted space in the entry and front areas. Since this hotel seems to do a lot of special events such as weddings, meetings etc., I would assume that space would come in handy for that. It had a huge double balcony with chairs.
By the way, our rooms had two different views. I thought the view was nice on either side of the hotel, that is, there is no bad view. On the mountain view side, there was a lot of noise from the hotel ventilation equipment above the garage that detracted from the nice view.

Standard Room:
The standard room seemed good. Same decor, plenty of drawer space. It was not small, but I thought it was a little cramped with two queen beds. I assume that was due to the larger beds, dressers and desks. (FYI, I tend to mention that many hotel rooms are cramped.) There was a single attached balcony. I am guessing the room was about 400 sqft. but the hotel can verify this for you.

Beds:
Very good quality beds and linens. Had an exceptionally good night's sleep.

Public spaces:
Some hotel decor gets better with time, some decor looks dated a week later. This decor is not bad, but it is the 70s - 80s look. This hotel has plenty of attractive public spaces. Hallways, including guest room hallways, were clean and bright.
Great, large exercise room. I thought the pool and pool area was rather small although it was clean and well stocked with plenty of clean towels.

Valet Parking:
It was included in the parking fee. The valet was very good. Even during impossibly busy times, such as New Year's Eve, hotel guests always had their cars promptly.
We visited for a week during the Rose Bowl and New Years Eve. The hotel handled those events as well as could be done. Concierge service was available in multiple areas. For example, when I wandered to the lobby to check on our car service, staff approached me first to ask how they could help. Some hotels have staff available to help. Other hotels have staff you have to search for. Apparently, this hotel has staff that seeks you out first in order to help.

Surrounding Area:
This is a nice walking around area of Pasadena. There are plenty of restaurants and shopping in the small mall two blocks away. There are also plenty of small fine dining restaurants in the area which the concierge can direct you to. There is a convenience store in the convention area of the hotel.
Tip: The nearby mall movie theater must be one of the best in the country and it includes reserved seating which can be purchased online.

Summary:
This hotel handles big events and holidays well -- primarily due to the well trained and available staff. If you appreciate that, as I do, this hotel will please you. The rooms are a little dated. If that bothers you, this hotel will displease you.

Room Tip: I thought the view was good from either side. I thought the noise from the ventilation equipment was...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,264)

Reviewed March 15, 2012

It's a strange thing when the doormen and concierge are the best part of your hotel stay. They were truly fantastic. Eddie deserves a raise, no matter what they're paying him, because he was so helpful running a shuttle to and from the Huntington for a conference. He arranged airport transportation for everyone I spoke to and even drove me to the metro station on his own accord.

The hotel was a bit pricey for what it was, even by Pasadena standards. There was nothing spectacular about it. Everything was just nice. It's a joke that they still charge for wifi, although when I asked if wifi was available, the receptionist did give me a coupon for it, so that was really nice. It's just silly to charge for wifi today, I think.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Michael H, General Manager at Hilton Pasadena, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2012

Dear Jodi C~

Thank you for your valuable comments, please know Eddie will be recognized within our Hotel, very kind of you to mention an associates name.

Your internet and hotel in genmeral comments are appreciated and will be reviewed during our daily operations meeting, thank you.

Thank you for selecting our hotel and I do hope you will return.

Reviewed March 11, 2012

As a Diamond Hilton member this Hilton has performed lower in customer
service than others I've stayed at recently. First off, we waited for 2hrs to check in! And no one came to notify us when a room became available (we waited in front of the desk in the lobby). At our favorite Hilton San Diego Bayfront we are ALWAYS offered amenities including: slippers, water coupons, FULL breakfast, Starbucks coupons (when one is present in the hotel- ANY drink and ANY food item), coupons for appetizers in the restaurant when an executive lounge is not available.

The front desk could care less about these perks, and did not go above what was necessary. Paying extra to upgrade to a full breakfast is something that will make me consider switching over to Marriott as my hotel stays average over 150 nights a year.

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank Bessdressed

Dear Bessdressed~

Thank you for your alarming notes on TA, I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to communicate with you via e-mail.

Plesae, mI impose on you to e-mail me directly at csprayberry@hiltonpasadena.com so I may persoally reach out to you?

Reviewed March 1, 2012

I planned a group meeting at the Huntington Library and stayed at the Hilton. The location was very convenient, with free shuttle service to the Library and Gardens. The hotel seemed average for a Hilton and for the price. Rooms were clean though not spacious. Staff was very helpful with a variety of questions. I only had breakfast in the restaurant once - okay, not great.

Dear Skilzer~

Thank you for making the time to comment on TA, please know your comments are regarded, reviewed and will be follow up on.

Please knolw we are going through a series of upgrades to improve on our food and beverage outlets, a new Ex Chef and Outlets Manager just joined our team last week, many great improvements are taking place.

We will look forward to your next visit and quality comments.

Reviewed February 27, 2012

A pretty average hotel for a Hilton brand name. The facilities are OK, rooms are expensive, plus (this is the disappointing part), they still charge for using Internet. This is not a hotel that gives you good value for the price they charge.

The good: location is pretty great. Near restaurants, amenities, Macy's, etc. I also had good experience with the staff, especially the concierge, Eddie. When I asked his help to reserve a car, he went the extra mile calling a few car rental companies to search a better deal. I really appreciated that because he did the extra service out of his own initiative.

Dear Jalan2x~

Thank you for your quality comments and for complimenting Eddie. Please know Eddie will receive one of our internal SERVICE HERO recognition cards!

We will review your critical comments during our daily operations meeting thus utilizing them to improve upon our services. We do hope you will continue to support Hilton Hotels Worldwide and Hilton Pasadena.

Reviewed February 25, 2012

My first stay at this hotel was last week and I'm on board with other reviews - nice place but rooms need updating. Carpet is threadbare and bathroom fixtures are showing some age too. Updated rooms have tons of electrical outlets and this place does not. I did not have trouble with noise. Common areas were nice and staff is friendly. My coworker thought the gym was a little small. Very nice location and Pasadena is beautiful. I often stay in Glendale on business but this area is great too.

Room Tip: Elevators were very quick so don't be bashful about high floors; rooms overlooking Los Robles Av...

Dear JL~

Thank you for your honest comments, although we are not to receive a full renovation this year we are making many great product changes this year.

We do offer a quailty/clean hotel with warm & friendly service, we hope to see you again in the very near future.

Reviewed February 21, 2012

Extremely efficient, pleasant staff, went out of their way to please every need. Good value. Paper thin walls and doors between rooms with connecting doors. Avoid second floor rooms adjacent to very loud AC compressors.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms with connecting doors. Avoid second floor (and probably 3er floor) rooms adjacent to ver...

Dear AJPV10~

A note of sincere thanks for your kind comments, we hope you visit us again soon.

Please know we will address the walls during our next renovation, we do offer earplugs for our guests sleeping comfort.