“Refuge from the hotel renovation...”
Review of Sheraton Pasadena

Sheraton Pasadena
Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Pasadena
Maryland
“Refuge from the hotel renovation...”
Reviewed March 26, 2007

Changed to the Sheraton after a few days at a hotel under renovation. This was a nice refuge. Friendly emloyees, good service. The only let done was the food. Not a broad selection and quality good have been higher.

Interesting rooms with a sunken bed room. Several steps to negotiate down to bedroom if on first floor.

Only real negative was spring break partiers that tested the sound proofing. Spring breakers won short term. Hotel dispatched security to deal with the rowdies. Draw.

Would stay here again. Cannot pick your neighbors.

• Liked — Services available
  • Disliked — Spring Breakers...
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank leroyk
Experience l, Manager at Sheraton Pasadena, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Thanks for your feedback!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed February 5, 2007

Stayed there for three nights as a part of a wedding, with a hotel-hosted reception.

Positives: Bed was the best I've slept-in. Room were very clean, and very quiet. Entire hotel was well-kept. Sunday brunch is not to be missed!

Neutrals: Parking was a little awkward (public garage shared with convention center), and daily charge was not disclosed boldly enough during reservation.

Negatives: Don't go for the pool, unless it's for the kids: depth ranges from 2ft-4ft. Kept scraping my arms trying to do some casual swimming. Biggest negative: Concierge service "Chief Concierge" seemed overwhelmed by morning rush and didn't appear able to prioritize converstions; Kept interrupting meetings with guests to have idle chit-chat with hotel staff / Pasadena police officer, when several couples were waiting to speak with her. But more disappointing after this wait (45 min) was her knowledge: Wanted to know what the positives / negatives were for the three main studio tours - what I would consider a basic question for a quality suburban LA hotel. She had a blank look, then said in all seriousnees that she recommends the WB, because it has the Gilmore Girls, and she loves the Gilmore Girls, and that she had a $5 off coupon for that tour. She then said she hadn't sent anyone to Paramount in six months (!!) Similar helpfulness (or lack-thereof) with restaurants.

That experience soured an otherwise excellent stay.

• Liked — The bed!
  • Disliked — The concierge
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank IndianaTravelSeeker
Thanks for your feedback!
BC Canada (best place on earth)
Reviewed November 18, 2006

I stayed at this property in October for a conference I was attending, the rooms are ok, nothing spectacular, but about what you can expect from an average hotel. The service is horrifying. When i checked in they sent me up to my room and the maids were still in there cleaning....they rushed out and didnt do a very good job so i called the front desk and asked if they could come back while I was out at my conference and wasnt expecting to be back for several hours. I can tell you that they never came back to finish off cleaning properly. The food at the conference was gross, I was poisoned at one of the luncheons and when I called the front desk they did NOTHING, not even an apology. I barfed for 6 hours, thought I might die, I called the guest services to see if they could bring me some dramamine from the gift shop and bottled water, they called me back an hour later and told me that they didnt have any dramamine. they never showed up with any water and even thoigh there was a drug store across the street didnt offer to bring me ANYTHING despit the fact that they were the ones who poisoned me. Guest services my [--].
The front desk clerks were so incompetant they screwed up my bill as well as the arrangements that I had made to pay room and tax only for 3 nights of a colleagues stay. it was a painful ordeal, and I certainly would NEVER stay here again and would recommend anyone attending a conference to stay at the Hilton and dont eat at this hotel either.....its a dump!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Tips/Secrets — never eat here
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank BCgurl
NJ
Reviewed August 26, 2006

Standard business class hotel. A/C a bit noisy but no biggie. BIG problem was construction near hotel. Was awakened by jackhammers at 7:00 AM on Fri. 8/25. Noise started at 9:00 on 8/26 though.

• Liked — close to town/food
  • Disliked — Construction noise
  • Tips/Secrets — Get up REALLLLL early
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank fuzzheadjoe
Melbourne
Reviewed July 20, 2006

It's a Sheraton so all the stuff about rooms etc is prety much standard. Noisy old air conditioning - annoying. The worst part about my stay....I arrived and got my key, went up to the room, opened door and found someone had been sleeping in my bed. Went back down 5 floors and told them and the very luck lustre lady behind the counter went off for a very long time and came back with another key. Got in elevator with a lovely young couple who got out on my floor, walked in my direction and put their key in MY door. Uncomfortable conversation occured and we realised they had double booked the room. I called reception and told them I was not moving from this point and they would need to send a new room key up. Fifteen minutes later I got a new room and key. Still to this point no one has acknowledged anything went astray. It's an OK Sheraton - just OK and the staff seem extremely vague (is one of the pharmacuitical companies trialling something on the staff perhaps). Stay somewhere else if you want service.

• Liked — Pasadena
  • Disliked — The staff
  • Tips/Secrets — Dont stay here
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank dreamonixx
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed June 12, 2006

I stayed at the Sheraton Pasadena for two nights midweek. We have stayed at this hotel several times over a seven year period and have usually been pleased.

First, the good stuff, which has not changed from our initial visit. Front desk area nice. Restaurant small but very good food (typical fare of sandwiches, salad, burgers, buffet breakfast). Fresh squeezed OJ was a highlight. The hotel arranged a car service for us from the airport and charged it to our room, which was very convenient. There is a shuttle to the old downtown Pasadena area upon request. There is a nice mall on Colorado just across the plaza behind the hotel wich has lots of restaurants and some great (not too pricey) shopping. The hotel is adjacent to the Pasadena Conference Center.

We checked in early (12:30pm) and our rooms were ready, even though we knew the hotel was completely sold out. I gave my Preferred Guest card at check-in, but nothing was offered or even mentioned. My room was on the 5th (top) floor. It was very warm in the room and I immediately turned down the thermostat and went to the unit to make sure all the vents were open. I closed the drapes to block the sun and hoped that the room would be nice and cool when I returned. The room is large but older and the air conditioner is a wall unit that looks to be at least 20 years old. There is a thermostat on the wall. The bed was a King and the soft goods were great - a nice thick comforter with a green duvet and lots of pillows. There is an armoire with a TV and three drawers. Against the wall is a small easy chair with a footstool and a reading lamp. The closet is small and didn't have a ceiling - the top was open to the room. There was a small refrigerator, a nice touch, but the bottle water was $4 a pop. No robe or freebies. The bath is small and has a curved shower curtain (nice) and a small ledge with a coffee maker and hair dryer. There is a wall mounted makeup mirror (non electric) over the toilet, which was a very inconvenient location. I had only one bar of soap and the usual shampoo, conditioner and body lotion. No hand towels, which was weird, but the bath towels were large and seemed new.

We ate a quick lunch in the cafe (tuna croissant and cream of mushroom soup was good and reasonably priced at $8), then headed out to our conference.
You have to go to the bottom floor of the hotel (actually, the lower level B, two floors below the lobby level) to get to the parking garage access that takes you to the convention center. This is an unpleasant walk, past garbage bays and sometimes against traffic. There are no sidewalks or clear pedestrian walkways, but is just a short 200 yard walk and you don't have to go outside. The elevators in the hotel are slow and I think one of the three wasn't working during our stay. If you are on the 5th floor, be prepared for a five minute wait for elevators in the morning. I waited with the cleaning staff (who had cleaning carts) and the bellman (with a luggage cart) several times, so there may not be a servcie elevator.

When I returned at 5:30, the room was still the same temperature (warm). There was somewhat cool air blowing out of the vent, but the unit was located in a corner of the room and the air just blew directly under the desk and wasn't making it further into the room. I took a cool shower and called the front desk to get someone to come look at the unit while I went to dinner.

When I returned three hours later, the room was still warm. I tried some more buttons and went in search of ice. The machine on the 5th floor was out, so I made the trek down to the 4th floor and back to the room. After watching TV for another hour, I called down again to see if someone could assist me with the air conditioner. A maintenance man arrived within ten minutes but didn't speak english very well. He pushed the same buttons, moved the vent back and forth, and said I needed to set it warmer so the unit wouldn't freeze up (!). He also said the thermostat wasn't working (I had guessed that, since it hadn't moved off 76 degreees but was obviously warmer in the room). Two minutes later, he said "should get cooler now" and left. I took another shower (cold this time) and took off all the covers on the bed except the top sheet so I could wait out the heat. Since the outside temp at night was cool, I had hopes that the room would cool off during the night. I was wrong.

The next morning, I called the desk again and told them to send someone while I was gone to my conference, or at least get me a box fan to cool down the room. I returned late afternoon to a still warm room. The maid was just finishing up my room and hadn't vacuumed yet, but I didn't want to add any more heat to the room, so waved her off. This time, I called and asked to speak to the hotel manager. The only manager available was assistant front desk manager Terri, who told me she would look into getting me another room and promised to call back. I packed up, since there wasn't any way I was staying any longer in that room.

Terri did call back and she offered to meet me with new room keys (she also said that she went down to check the air in the new room first). I waited in the hall, where it was much cooler. My new room was on the 3rd floor, which had signs saying "preferred guest level". I was pleasantly greeted by a blast of cool air when I opened my door. This room was larger, same great linens and king bed. Same closet without a ceiling, only there was a nice robe in the closet. The refrigerator had one bottle of water labeled "complimentary". There were hand towels and more toiletries in this room (bath gel, vanity kit, hand soaps, etc), although the bath was the same size. There was an additional loveseat by the bed. The air conditioner was still a wall unit, but this one looked to be less than ten years old, and the thermostat worked. The ice machine on 3 was working fine. The bed was very comfortable. I had a much more pleasant night thanks to Terri.
Too bad that I wasted half of my visit on the sauna room. I would recommend speaking to a manager about any problem and not relying on the front desk clerks or the maintenance people to get anything done.

I would stay at this hotel again if I could guarantee the second room.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank Corgimom
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 2, 2006

I just got back from a two-night stay at the Sheraton, and it was a very nice experience. I thought the service was excellent, especially at the front desk and at the restaurant. I only ate the breakfast buffet at the restaurant, but it was great food and well-priced. Again, the service was fantastic.

I had a room on the first floor which had, like others have noted, a small staircase down to the sleeping area of the room. I would guess this might be problematic for some people, but personally I liked the arrangement. The bathroom and closet were on the top level, and the beds, desks, and tv on the lower level. The bathroom, shower and vanity were all very clean and nice, although the bathroom was a bit small.

Overall, a really nice hotel.

• Stayed April 2006