“Great location, very nice property, thumbs up, just a couple issues”
Review of Sheraton Pasadena

Sheraton Pasadena
Ranked #10 of 31 Hotels in Pasadena
Fairfield, CT
“Great location, very nice property, thumbs up, just a couple issues”
Reviewed April 2, 2009

We have traveled the world on business and pleasure, and are discriminating in our tastes.

My wife and I stayed for 3 nights, part on SPG points, and part with a special pre-paid Sheraton price that was on their web site. We hoped for an upgrade to the club floor for the continental breakfast and evening snacks, but that did not happen, as they said they were full. The property is in excellent repair and we have no complaints there. Also, it is only a half block from Paseo Colorado (full of shops and restaurants), and a nice supermarket, so we were quite happy with a light breakfast and an evening meal that only required a short walk across the street. The location is definitely a high point. We had considered the Pasadena Westin, but are happy with our choice. While many talk about the location relative to Old Town Pasadena, we were underwhelmed with that district. Very happy with the location of the Sheraton, and it was a great base for visiting the top locations around LA.

Now for some details: Our first room was a King that was directly across from the vending/ice room. We thought that might be noisy, but I put a towel across the bottom of the door, and it was fine. However, the air conditioning unit was very very loud and came on occasionally (it was also over powered, and would come on for just 2 or 3 minutes to lower the temperature by several degrees) and this was a significant negative. It was loud enough to waken most sleepers. The other negative was that there was very little extra room to move about in the room.

While we didn't complain, we did suggest that if there was a better room we would appreciate a change, and they moved us to a jr. suite just a few doors down from the first room. This room had much more space, and being on the north side, did not get hot during the day and did not need the air conditioning unit to turn on. Just lovely for the last 2 days of our trip. I should note that both rooms had a small fridge, and the in-room coffee maker was extremely easy to use, had Starbucks coffee, there were LCD TV's, and outside of the noisy AC in the first room - we would rate this hotel as superior. The King bed was very comfortable, and the pillows (though not down) were also good. This was another big plus. The front desk had a list of restaurants, and they had some suggestions for those of us who have a higher level of taste. We did not use the small pool, as it was still too cold outside.

We would definitely stay here again. (If my wife is happy, I'm happy).

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Experience l, Manager at Sheraton Pasadena, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Thanks for your feedback!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Honolulu
Reviewed March 29, 2009

Second stay in this hotel in 4 months. Did not dissapoint on either occassion. Staff is very helpful and friendly. Nice exercise room and free internet access from the business center. Located one block from the shopping mall and 4 blocks from Old Pasadena. Free shuttle service. Many restaurants to choose from in the area. Parking is $13 per day with in and out privileges.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
San Diego
Reviewed February 4, 2009

We were visiting Pasadena to see some family and see the Huntington Library. We are normally Hilton people however we decided to take a chance with Priceline since it was just for the one night. The service was top notch, gracious and professional. The lobby and rooms nicely decorated. Better than you would expect for a 3.5 star hotel. We didn't have a view but we didn't need one...we didn't come to hang out at the hotel. Starbucks in the room was a nice touch plus the Bliss bathroom amenities. Beds were firm and comfortable with fluffy down pillows. The only complaints we would have is that the sheets are so starchy that they make tons of noise every time you move around, it would have been nice if they were softer. Also, there is a good amount of space underneath the hotel door so you can basically hear any person that goes by and it was annoying when some guests who came late (almost 2 am) were yelling and laughing in the hall. Woke up my 2 kids...that was fun. Other than that, the location is prime and close to everything. I would absolutely stay here again.

• Liked — clean, modernized rooms , polite service
  • Disliked — stiff sheets, being able to hear other guests in the hallway
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank willtravelwithkids
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed December 12, 2008

Great location and generally nice hotel, but from the start, we could tell that booking through a discount service (Hotwire) made us second class citizens. When we arrived they didn't have the queen bed that we requested and had to settle for two oversized double beds. One of the beds was fine, but the other sagged in the middle- not something you ever expect in a Sheraton. When I pulled the drapes open, I was surprised to see nothing but a blank stucco wall about 8 feet away. You couldn't even see the sky. When I inquired about both of these, the front desk staff discourteously reminded me that we booked through Hotwire. The meaning was pretty clear- what else should I expect? I use Hotwire a lot, and have never had this type of experience with a supposed 3+ star hotel before.

One more gripe- parking fees and meal costs are outrageous!

• Liked — location in Old Town
  • Disliked — no free internet, crummy view
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
south london
Reviewed November 6, 2008

just had 6 great nights at this hotel, i was a little worried about what i was going to find here as i had read some bad reviews,but my personal experience was great. the bed was one of the most comfy i,ve slept in the hotel staff were very friendly and helpful and the location was also great, the hotel is in walking distance to some lovely shops and there are lots of places to dine. i recommend the cheesecake factory on colorada blvd really good priced and great tasting food, i would stay at this hotel again if i visit pasadena

• Liked — location and comfort
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank bettySouthLondon
los angeles, ca
Reviewed October 21, 2008

We stayed here on our wedding night and picked this hotel because of its proximity to our reception place. I was extremely disappointed with the service. We checked in right after our reception we were in our wedding attire, I in my wedding gown. Upon check in, the front desk was very nice and we were told that we'd get a great room. We got there and the room wasn't even ready! There was used soap and no towels. I didn't really mind at the time because I was so happy. A couple minutes later housekeeping knocked on our door to give us clean towels and they told us the room wasn't ready.

I was baffled why they would give us a room that wasn't ready when they specifically told us we would get a nice room. We checked in around 6pm.

The shuttle was very helpful. I had friends who stayed at the Westin and they loved the place.

• Liked — we didnt spend much time in the room. the bed was nice and comfortable
  • Disliked — that the room wasn't ready.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
hampshire
Reviewed September 30, 2008

Although the hotel itself was nice, clean and had everything you could need for comfort - the staff do need some lessons in customer service. I was appalled when I wasn't assisted with my many bags from the taxi to my room. I asked for a trolley or some assistance from the member of staff who seemed to decorate the lobby and was told that wasn't possible. Although she did offer to watch my bags whilst I took half of them up in the elevator and then came back for the rest. Even the taxi driver was amazed!
The breakfast was lovely and the staff in there couldn't do enough for you. I would probably stay there again if there was a special offer as it was clean and comfortable, I'd just ignore the reception staff!!

• Liked — breakfast
  • Disliked — unhelpful staff
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends