“Customer Service Failings”
Review of Sheraton Pasadena

Sheraton Pasadena
Ranked #11 of 31 Hotels in Pasadena
Reviewed November 25, 2012

The hotel itself is decent enough. The room was just fine, everything from comfy pillows to good bathroom amenities (everyone hates bad shampoo- no?). But where this place failed was customer service.

So first we get there early and ask if there is a room. No surprise, but he says no. Not a problem we say, but we're here for a wedding (which they know based on the reservation) so is there a way to let us know if a room opens up early so we can get it in and start getting ready. No, we can't do that. Alright- no seems to be a little more popular here than it should be. We ask once more, and he writes our name down on a scrap piece of paper- how's that for inspiring confidence.

The hotel we discover has a gym. Great- we'll get a quick workout in while we wait but oh wait, it requires you to access it with a key. So we go back to our favorite front desk guy and inquire about the gym. "Yep, we've got one." I'm waiting for more, but that's all he has. Well, can we work out in it? He tells us no, it's for guests only. We've got a reservation, we're going to be guests in 2 hours but that isn't enough.

Moments later, while we are sitting in the lobby and he has gone on break, someone comes to check in and the woman who replaced him looks into the system and alas, can check this guy in. We go up, ask her if we can get checked in and she hits a few keys and says, of course- we've got some rooms!

I could go on, but they also ended up screwing the reservation up and instead of putting a room for each member of the wedding party that got a room, they just put us all in one room. And while that might have been fun, it wasn't in the cards and so we had to get them to sort that out which took forever. Then when we checked out the next day, the billing was all mixed up, and they emailed us a receipt for someone who wasn't us. We called, asked for the right receipt and guess what... yep, they sent a receipt again that was incorrect.

You expect more from a Starwood property. Again, the room itself was fine but there were enough customer service lapses and lack of concern about those lapses to earn this place my lowest rating. And I am usually pretty generous with the ratings! There are simply too many other good hotels in the area for someone to settle for the service you get here.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Experience l, Manager at Sheraton Pasadena, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2014

Reviewed November 22, 2012

We stayed here for the Breeders Cup, so it's difficult to comment on the price: it was very expensive, but in fairness, everything was expensive that week (and the Hilton was almost $200 more per night!). Nevertheless, it's a nice, bright clean hotel and the front desk staff was very helpful and professional, and we felt that it was a perfectly good deal for the money. We decided to upgrade to the Club Floor, and it was well worth the price. The breakfast and evening snacks are well worth it, and it makes for a more relaxing experience.

The room was spacious and comfortable. I was a bit surprised by some of the mediocre reviews I'd read previously: I'm a very season and extremely fussy traveler, and was concerned that it would be a "tired" hotel. I didn't find this to be the case at all.

It's impossible to get around own conveniently-- it's L.A., essentially-- and an added bonus of the hotel was the access to both their shuttle, and to a car service (and Vic, the wonderful driver!). We used both services several times. Our big mistake was not arranging the car service from LAX: upon our arrival, we took a taxi to the hotel, which was insanely expensive, and it would have been substantially less expensive to have called the hotel and pre-arranged for the car to have met us at the airport. We took the car service for our return flight, and it was very pleasant. The shuttle was super-convenient, and very friendly drivers both nights!

The location is also ideal. There is a huge shopping district (Old Pasadena) just a few blocks away, but there is a Macy's just a stone's throw from the hotel, so if you're like me and need a last-minute handbag or pair of socks, voila!

I would happily stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

Very nicely kept property next to convention center and heart of Old Town. Hit Gelson's Market for casual eats or the Paseo Colorado for restaurants, shops and movies. Through the Paseo to Europane for the
Best coffee, breakfast, lunch and naked goods. A few blocks from the heart of Old Town for more shops and restaurants!

• Stayed: November 2012

Reviewed November 17, 2012

For the price paid, it was just average value. Location is good. Parking is expensive at $18 ; it was not clear to me whether it would be cheaper to pay the convention rate for night for $10 directly to parking instead of hotel but front desk said it would be charged twice once past midnight. do not know if that is true. room was excellent; had fridge but no microwave. ask for room overlooking the front or Cordova St and not back or convention center. Great location. Expensive breakfast with average food. The staff did what they were supposed to but were not friendly or helpful. For example, there was NEW YORK TIMES at front desk and I asked for one and checkout clerk grudgingly and reluctantly gave me one. My starwood rewards membership was never acknowledged and i was denied an upgrade to club floor even though i had called earlier to request one. I found the bed comfortable

Room Tip: Ask for room facing front or Cordova St and not back or convention center
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank PULAOKHAO

Reviewed November 15, 2012

I stayed a few days, in early November 2012. In all aspects, the hotel was exceptional. The staff is friendly. I asked a doorman for walking directions to a local restaurant and he walked me through the hotel to show me the easiest route. My friends, or family, would not even do that. The room was large, clean, with a wonderful bed. The facility is great, the local area is outstanding. Believe me, you will be happy that you made the choice to stay here.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Views are wonderful but good hearts make our world spin.
From the concierge to the club staff and housekeeping, the staff made us feel special whenever we gave the the opportunity.
a warm thank you as we completed our 30 year anniversary trip to Rome.
J&S

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 9, 2012

There are much better places to stay in Pasadena (the Hilton a block or so away, the Courtyard by Marriott, or the Embassy Suites in Glendale if you don't mind being a bit further away, even the Pasadena Inn is better). I visit Pasadena a lot and wound up staying here because I couldn't get in anywhere else.

The room was big, but most of the space was wasted. The bed was terrible (plasticy thin comforter, impossibly thick, heavy, and hot thick comforter). The room got hot at night even though the outside temperature was in the 50s-60s, so I had to run the junky-looking wall air conditioner, which was noisy and took a long time to cool the room down.

At checkout, which I wound up doing in person at the front desk at 6:30 AM because they don't automatically check you out and slip the bill under your door, they gave me a bill only for the parking, so I had to call back (so-far unsuccessfully) when filling out my expense report to try to get a real receipt.

All of this would have been okay if the place was a good deal, but it wasn't. I won't be staying there again if I can avoid it. Good riddance.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business