“Elegant, Sophisticated, and Expensive”

The Westin Pasadena
Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Pasadena
GreenLeadersBronze level
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
“Elegant, Sophisticated, and Expensive”
Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

My room, not large, but adequate, seemed almost Japanese in style, decorated with elegance and simplicity, and perfect. The public areas are attractive and dressy. The staff is noticeably more formally trained, dressed, and disciplined than more casual places. The 4th floor pool and spa area is also pretty but not large. Too bad I didn't need the exercise room, it is seriously well equipped. Parking is a bit of a hassle; you have to use the valet (extra charge plus tipping plus a wait if they're busy) or drive around the block to the labyrinthine underground garage, also for a fee. There's also a daily fee for the internet connection. The outdoor dining area is gracious and the menu very upscale (and pricey) but the day I was there, they were swamped. Apparently they had way many more guests than they expected.
My waiter apologized, they couldn't offer the breakfast I preferred. My waiter brought me some breakfast sides they still had, gratis, and rushed on. Oh well. I hope that doesn't happen often.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Harry C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Chicago
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Had a wonderful stay. Loved the window shutters instead of drapes, robe to use, comfortable bed, good water pressure, hot water and efficient shower head, bath amenities,large hand-held mirror, in-room coffee/tea, quiet--no A/C noise, in-room refrigerator, free boarding pass computer/printer area, hotel shuttle, quick elevators, pool and lobby areas, housekeeping staff, being addressed with title and last name by front desk staff, walking distance to a variety of eateries, city hall complex. Room could use a microwave and ventilation in bathroom.

Room Tip: I think all rooms have views: San Gabriel mountains, city hall, city lights at night, pool and front...
Green Features: You could opt out of daily housekeeping by hanging a card on your door handle.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed July 21, 2014

This hotel is great. There is a overnight self parking fee of $9 but that is nothing. The hotel is spotless, great and very modern. We stayed her for one night and loved it. The room had a bench seat that looked out over city hall and the room was very quit on the 11th floor. The gym was great and the area around the hotel safe. The main block (main street) is only 2 blocks away and the heart of Pasadena.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Pasadena, California
Reviewed July 17, 2014

This was my first visit to the hotel and and it was absolutely wonderful. Everyone at the hotel was so helpful. I was actually here to have a meeting and I would diffinetely come back. Beautiful property wit excellent outside area and lots of networking space in the hotel. Restaurant - excellent food! And so much of it! Xochiti Trejo was so helpful to me as was all of the staff.

Great location for walking to restaurants and shopping.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Eileen M
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Nice outdoor pool, clean comfortable rooms and most of all -- a friendly staff make this hotel a "go-to" for our family. The location near Old Pasadena is easy, safe and exciting and totally walkable. Hotel has shuttle van for those who don't like to walk.

Room Tip: The fourth floor has pool and gym, so stay away from that floor. Lots of traffic.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Deyna V
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

This review is relative to expectations as a frequent Westin guest and elite level Starwood member. The positives first. It is a lovely property. The outdoor bar area and 4th floor pool area are excellent areas to relax and meet Westin standards. The hotel ocation is solid too as it is a relatively short walk to a myriad of shops, restaurants and bars.

Now, the disappointments. Three of the four elevators were not in working order on a recent Saturday. If not, for the clerk in the gift shop who told us where the employee/service elevator was located, we'd probably still be waiting :). The charging for wi-fi is a constant irritant, but on this occasion, I simply needed to print out a two page document from the Web, so I attempted to use the "complimentary" computers in the gift shop. Had issues with how slow and antiquated the computers were as they couldn't print the needed document. No worries, I was told there was another computer/printer at other end of lobby floor. Of course, that machine charged by the minute and for printing a couple pieces of paper. Don't get me wrong as I'm not cheap, just annoyed at being nickel and dimed by a supposed higher end property. Last but not least, the room left a bit to be desired. The bathroom was a bit tired and the bed didn't have the textbook Westin comfort.

Overall, a decent, but less than memorable stay. Just didn't feel like this particular Westin has its heart into the little things.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 515travels
TimLusher, General Manager at The Westin Pasadena, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to offer me your feedback.

The nature of your comments lead me to believe you were here over the July 4th weekend. Our elevators were tampered with and one of the safety mechanisms were compromised. This cause an ‘alert’ to the parent controls of the elevators causing 1 to trip. The extent of the vandalism was such that it caused the ‘board’ to malfunction and alternately ‘trip’ the other elevators. We had technicians out most of the day on Friday and all day on Saturday trying to resolve the issue as there was never any real danger with the elevators. The fact that it was a holiday weekend and that we were at maximum capacity only exacerbated the issues. I am very sorry that you were inconvenienced by this situation.
Our Heavenly Beds© are the same signature mattress as other Westin’s. That is an interesting observation though and I apologize you did not find your mattress as comfortable as previous stays at Westin properties.

I hope that we have another opportunity to show you that we have ‘heart’ and that we care about your business, your comfort, and your loyalty.
Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

Very disappointed. Stayed at many Weston n this by far the worst. Reserved two queen beds n arrive mid day and found that they did not have the room, only a king. Staff was less the agreeable. Rooms just so so except bed, heavenly . Will try some where else next visit.

Stayed July 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us. I apologize that we were unable to fulfill you room request for 2 queen beds. We do our very best to accommodate all of our guest’s request and sometimes are not able to please everyone. I am sorry that we did not live up to your expectations, but am more so to lose your future business. I hope that despite your comments you will visit us again next time you are in the Pasadena area for a much better experience.