“Service after was an issue”

The Westin Pasadena
Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Pasadena
GreenLeadersBronze level
Los Angeles, California
“Service after was an issue”
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I had a late meeting that ran late so needed a place to stay in Pasadena. Generally I stay at the Sheraton but decided to try Westin cause it had a great rate online. I tried to book online via the website, and since it was so late in the night, it did not allow me. Frustrated, I called in and Cal, who picked up, mentioned that he cannot allow the rate showing online, but did get me a reasonable rate $20 less than standard.

Once I got there, valeted the car ($14 vs $9 for self-park) and Cal checked me with the rate he guaranteed. Feels a little on the older side, but I do like the feel of the hotel. I had a traditional room on the higher floors, which was nice. Since it is Old Town, there were still a lot of activities around from cars, sirens etc. Nice being on a higher floor. Spacious, clean as well. All the usual Westin amenities are there. LED TVs with HD channels, great bed, and coffee pods for the next day, along with one complimentary bottle of water. They actually still have the Heavenly Showers, which I prefer over the Swiss Shower Rainfall that I've seen.

Asked housekeeping for a bottle of shampoo since it was missing. There were two body wash bottles instead.

The stay overall was good. Was able to secure a late checkout, staff was courteous, and valet staff was fast. Called in to have my car ready and it was there within 5 minutes.

However, once I left, the next day I realized that I had left my glasses in the room. I called in Monday and asked if housekeeping found anything, but nothing was recorded in the log and the operator took down my info and said that he would call back in about half an hr. Few hours went by, and I had to call back. This time, a young lady picked up, and again, no record of me calling and saw nothing in the log, took down my info, and let me know that someone will be in touch once it turns up. 3 days went by, I decided to call on my own to try my luck, and guess what, it turned up! It was logged in on the same exact day that I called but no one called me back during those times. I was able to have someone else swing by to pick up the glasses.

While the stay was great, definitely didn't expect the lack of attention to detail from a Westin location for the service after.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Crofton, Maryland
Reviewed December 19, 2013

Beautiful hotel in a city well worth visiting. It has a nice outdoor pool and deck on the 2nd Floor, excercise room, nice restaurant. Room was well appointed and the price was very reasonable. Convenient to the downtown area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Alan M
Sunland, CA
Reviewed December 16, 2013

My husband and I had to attend an event near the hotel, so we chose to have drinks beforehand at the hotel. We were so impressed with our servers, Crisanto and Nathan. Our Mai-Tai's were delicious! We decided to return to the restaurant following our event and again were extremely impressed with the service and the food. The shrimp cocktail was amazing! Very generous prawns and reasonably priced! We then met Tina, the food and beverage supervisor, who gave us a key to check out the pool on the 4th floor. What a spectacular view! We will book a stay there soon even though we only live 15 minutes away!

• Stayed December 2013
San Diego, California
Reviewed December 12, 2013

This is an older hotel that appears to have been periodically updated. Some of the rooms are smaller in size, and may lack drapes, using wooden shutters to maximize floor space. Regrettably, the shutters do no provide complete "black out" of daylight.

The bathroom fixtures are older, appearing to have last been replaced 20-30 years ago (based upon the different types of caulking around the tub/shower. Although California may be attempting to conserve water, you would never know it from the dual shower heads.

The room furnishings were in good condition, and clean. Westin/Starwood bedding is always wonderful. Overall housekeeping was good.

The staff was courteous and knowledgeable. A special commendation to the restaurant and bar staff. On an otherwise quiet Monday evening, with only two servers/bar tenders on duty, they were suddenly slammed with 25+ guests. The staff and kitchen kept their cool and put out 200+% to serve the unexpected rush of patrons (I had already been served, and simply sat back to watch their efficiency).

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Long Beach, California
Reviewed December 10, 2013

We've had a wedding room block set up at this hotel for about 10 sleeping rooms. From the start, it was very challenging to make room reservations, make changes and billing. With dealing with the sales office, I did not feel as though our business was appreciated and it was very frustrating to work with staff who did not know what they were doing and blamed it on staffing. I am still very frustrated as the billing issue still has not been resolved. Hotel staff has poor follow up. Very, very disappointed with our stay here at the Westin Pasadena. Would not refer others who, especially would like to have small room blocks at the hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Carrie K
Timothy L, General Manager at The Westin Pasadena, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Thank you for giving us your feedback. We strive to take care of all of our guest and understand that planning a wedding can be very stressful. I am sorry that we did not live up to your expectations but hope that your guests enjoyed the celebration and festivities.
Colorado
Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

Comfortable with friendly staff and very nice amenities.

Pros
Great location
Soft bed and pillows ( might be too soft for some)
Very friendly and responsive staff
Starbucks coffee
Good size bathroom
Plush soft towels
A bath robe
Classy place
Loved the pool and weight room

Cons
Mattress a bit worn
Pay for internet

Really enjoyed our stay

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Came here for thanksgiving weekend to splurge on the variety of dining options LA was known for. Booked with the Westin in Pasadena for their low cost parking option (9$ self for hotel guest, or 14$ valet) and because Westin is known for their heavenly bed & shower.
Received a nice upgrade from Kyle which was awesome because 1125 is a corner room, allowed extra space for comfort and we brought our little companions (dogs) with us which didn't incur any charges unless they made a mess, which of course we didn't.
Came to check-in and met a pleasant staff: Monica, she's friendly, relatively new but provided a welcoming experience with a bright smile.
Throughout our stay, we are low maintenance thus we opted for the green program in exchange for vouchers redeemable at their food/beverage outlet, a plus for going GREEN.
The bed is very comfortable as expected of Westin brands, the AC blows nice cold air. There's a coffee maker setup also and nice size TV, 42inch?
I didn't get a chance to visit the pool/gym due to the busy schedule but the hotel is overall very nice, pleasant and quiet in much way. Self parking is easy but may be difficult if the hotel is busy because some spaces are very "small" even for someone driving a small box car.
A small hiccup during my trip but the night auditor Cal was very helpful, much more than the room service department. Cal took excellent care of me as a guest and Westin should be proud of his contribution.
Overall I would visit this property again!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple