“Great Location and delightful stay”

The Westin Pasadena
Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Pasadena
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Stayed at the Westin on a business trip, and was very happy. The rooms are very nice. The location is fantastic. It was an easy walk to shopping and dinning in Old Pasadena. Also the gym was fantastic. I went a few different times and it was never crowded. Also, it is quite an impressive gym for a hotel. In addition they have a very nice pool with a great view of the mountain. The outside bar/ lounge is a nice place to sit and have a relaxing drink.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,436)

Reviewed November 9, 2013

We stayed here for the breeders cup. Friendly helpful staff. Good sized room. No free wi-fi which is poor and re-stocking of coffee and toilettries haphazard. Good gym and pool use of which is all included.This is a good base to be near old Pasadena

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 9, 2013

What a charming stay. Centrally located, beautiful property. I was upgraded upon arrival due to belonging to some loyalty program I did not know I belonged to. The room was huge with a great view and plenty of searing and space to work. They brought a small fridge upon request at o charge. The gym was large and well-equipped, and there was a lovely rooftop salt water pool and hot tub that I wish I had had time to use! I explored the area around the hotel and even called for the complimentary shuttle to come get me from the Norton Simon museum when I did not feel like walking back. The on-site food was delicious and healthy, too. I will happily stay here again!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 6, 2013

I was here for a conference my company was holding. I was quite happy it was at a Westin and it didn't disappoint. It's fairly convenient to Colorado Avenue where a lot of restaurants are so you can walk quite easily off property. The outside seating area near the restaurant is cozy and the fire pit in the evening is so pretty.

I was happy with my room, which was an upgrade to a suite and had a great view. My bed was so comfortable and had a great night's sleep. Didn't use the robe provided but did take advantage of the Starwood Green option, which was to use my same sheets and towels. They also provide a recycle bin in the room.

Food was good - both from the restaurant and the catered function we had. First class service and really well presented. AND they have Pepsi products! I know most people prefer Coke, but not me!

Service was better than good at the front desk. The check in process was easy, but the checkout process was exceptional. I'd asked for a copy of my restaurant receipt and the clerk said she could get it. She was gone for a while and I got nervous as I had to catch a flight. I asked the guy at the next checkout and he said he'd get her from the back but she wasn't there...she'd gone somewhere else (don't know exactly) to go get my receipt!! I would never have asked if I'd known she'd have to go to so much trouble.

Only bad thing I have to say is that I did not get my SPG points for using the Green Option - but I can take care of that later - not a big deal. I'd definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a Western view on a higher floor - get a great sunset with City Hall in the foreground.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I regret to say that my stay at the Westin was quite disappointing:
First, an most important, the rooms provide ONLY down-filled or feathers and down-filled coverlets-look luxurious/impressive & very HOT. For those who produce a significant body heat while sleeping, it becomes impossible to sleep under them. Pasadena is not Maine in winter! Even the costly environmentally damaging alternative of turning AC way down (creating other difficulties in breathing very cold air) not possible-the minimum temperature allowed is 65º. Recognizing this I asked that an alternative blanket be sent up on the first evening of my 3 night stay. When nothing arrived I called and they sent up a very inadequate old blanket. Next day after a miserable night, I asked again; they sent up another slightly better blanket. Finally the next day in desperation I had to borrow (and eventually return) a blanket from an old friend in Pasadena. NOT a good experience — despite all the frills, the primary function of a hotel is to provide a space in which to sleep.
Second, more minor note, I called my 2nd day to say the TV would not turn on using the remote or from the set. Nothing happened though they had promised to fix it. Finally the next day I complained to the concierge in person and they got it fixed.
Third and least, unlike most (better) hotels, no light deadening window coverings are available to supplement the attractive shutters which however have limited functionality.
NOT a happy camper.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Lee R
Timothy L, General Manager at The Westin Pasadena, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

Dear Mr. Robbins, I am sorry that after a direct email and your response to our guest questionaire that you are still not at peace with our response. The Westin Heavenly Bed is one ofour most popular branded items. I am purchasing new blankets to use for those who do not wish to have the experience. I hope that if you chose Westin again, we will be better equipped to handle your special request.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

The room was lovely, complete with bath robe, lots of towels, and a huge list of possibly forgotten items you could request (including invisible lens fluid!). Starbucks coffee and coffee maker was a morning pleasure. I was there for a family event, and a block of rooms was reserved for our group, so we had a special rate. The room definitely was not too small, the bed was excellent.

Pool area was very nice, and the pool long enough for decent lapping. The lounge area around the pool was pleasant and extremely comfortable.

The staff was awesome. The Concierge guys were wonders, and within hours everyone knew me by name. (No, I wasn't lodging complaints, either). They offer free shuttle service to any place in Pasadena within three miles, which made my visit without a car really different. It was possible to get to Huntington and Simon museums/botanical gardens with hotel transportation.

I would go back to this Westin any time I could.

Pool area was very nice, and the pool long enough for decent lapping.

The staff was awesome. The Concierge guys were wonders, and within hours everyone knew me by name. (No, I wasn't lodging complaints, either). They offer free shuttle service to any place in Pasadena within three miles, which made my visit without a car really different. It was possible to get to Huntington and Simin museums/botanical gardens with hotel transportation.

Pool area was very nice, and the pool long enough for decent lapping.

Room Tip: The Pool and gym is on 4th floor, so it's handy to be so close.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 29, 2013

It's rare these days to have a customer service experience that is all-around outstanding, but the entire staff at the Westin is to be highly commended for just that.

For our son and daughter-in-law's wedding, we booked our courtesy hotel block exclusively at the Westin and could not have been more pleased. Sales and marketing coordinator Lucia Pascucci was consistently patient, responsive and thorough across many months of planning.

We wound up booking more than 40 rooms, and all of our guests--including ourselves and members of the wedding party, including the bride and groom--were easily able to make reservations at the special rate provided and were very pleased with all accommodations and services--right down to the crib for our two-month-old cousin who traveled with his parents to LA from Honolulu!

The front desk and concierge staff warmly and efficiently handled our guest bags and multiple special requests, including use of the hotel shuttle over the course of the weekend, laundry, shoe shine, and a lovely amenities package for the bride and groom on their wedding night. Special kudos to (I hope I have his name right...) Ryan, who personally picked up a dozen long-stemmed red roses to save us the florist's delivery charge.

The post-wedding brunch on Sunday, coordinated by the bride's mother, was lovely, and capped off an amazing weekend.

Having the Westin as our home base helped make the entire weekend flow smoothly. The wedding was an unforgettable experience for all of us, and the great work of the staff was an important part.

We look forward to staying at the Westin Pasadena again soon.

Room Tip: We particularly enjoyed the rooms with mountain views. Many of our guests enjoyed the lovely outdoor...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family