“Nice place, service could be better”

The Westin Pasadena
Ranked #3 of 31 Hotels in Pasadena
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We stayed here for five nights while in town for a family wedding. The shuttle, free within 3 miles was very useful. The kids (2,4) loved the pool and hot tub, and the beautiful fountains out on the side grounds of the hotel. The gym was simple but nice. The restaurant has a broad menu and nice outdoor seating. BUT 5$ for a cup of coffee?! The heavenly beds were dreamy. Hallways were loud, and the housekeepers would yell down the hall to eachother, though it was the middle of the day and my concern was my napping kids. There was little attention to the pool, for example lots of missing chair pads and towels sitting on chairs that had been used hours before. There are no refridgerators unless you pay 10$ per day and interent is 12$! With the valet 14$, all these little costs add up. We asked for extra linens, and 45 min later cancelled b/c they never came and the kids fell asleep on the comforter on the floor. Lastly, we asked for an adjoining room w my in laws, but they filled it with others that had arrived earlier. Other family members reserved a patio room and were told on the day they were to move into one that none were available. LAstly, they had other family memebers checking out two days early and were briefly told there were no rooms available. So double check your reservation and be aware they might not honor the room specifications that you reserved!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,413)

Reviewed July 20, 2013

After our tour to the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Disneyland and Universal Studio, we stayed four more days in LA. The Westin Pasadena is located in a perfect location for us to get around all other city attractions in LA area. The staff was amazing at the front desk. Self parking cost $9 per night (city parking ban between 2 to 6 am). Side streets across from the hotel allowed you to leave your car there for free up to two hours. Do not miss the City Hall behind the hotel, it is beautiful and worth walking over there!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I used this place as a stop to visit friends in the San Gabriel valley and am glad to choose Westin Pasadena. The room was very clean, nice big TV, and the bed was very comfortable. Shower has good pressure for hot/cold water, and toiletries were always available. We did have a room that was facing the noisy side that you can hear the rooftop HVAC system buzzing, but no big deal. Enjoyed using the pool every morning during my stay and it was kept very clean. I never had time to wander the stores nearby for shopping because they're usually closed by the time I get back into the hotel.

Only caveat is that you have to pay $9 a day for overnight parking (unless you do meter parking on the street), wish the hotel would cover parking for their guests.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I've stayed at a few hotels in Pasadena, and if you like to walk to restaurants, coffee shops, book stores etc. - this is the place to stay- I've also stayed at the Langham , which was spectacular , but I like to get out and walk without having to call for my vehicle and the Westin is the best downtown hotel to do that. I've also stayed at the Hilton and the Westin is way better. The pool is great and the staff was nice.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We recently had to travel on two different occasions to funerals and chose to stay at the Westin Pasadena each time. We were greeted by a friendly staff, from the front desk to the maid service. Everyone who works at this hotel should be recognized for their top-notch customer service skills. We would like to specifically name Mark the Bellman...amazing guy. Very helpful and friendly. Tina at the front desk was amazing. She made sure our trip was a pleasant one. Trisha in the restaurant was very helpful and a pleasure to meet. The Westin Pasadena should be very proud of the staff in their hotel. Oh, and while the hotel is beautiful and very comfortable, it's the staff that made an unpleasant trip a memorable one. We will stay at the Westin again for this very reason. Thank you to the amazing staff of the Westin!!! The Keane Family

Room Tip: Patio rooms are especially nice if you like to sit out and read
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Let's begin with this: Westin Pasadena, we love you!
My boyfriend and I stumbled across this little gem when we came on a double-date trip in May and booked our next trip here, while we were still here. We arrived at the location around 3 and they checked us into our rooms right away. Zero waiting, point one.
My boyfriend and I ended up in a basic room with a window, but regardless, everything was smartly built and spacious. The sheets, pillows, bed were COMFORTABLE. My boyfriend and I are picky people when it comes to sleep and rest, and the Westin did not lack in this department at all. Good night's rest and wanting to steal the entire set-up for ourselves, point two.
I won't lie, the pool is small. But it's situated right next to a very nice exercising facility, showers (yes with curtains, shampoo and conditioner), steam room and sauna. And top of that, there's killer views, sitting in the pool or hot tub at night. By the way, there is an operating bar and foods place right next to the pool during the day. Appropriate and extensive accommodations, point three.
Yes, the valet/parking is a bit expensive, but did you know there was a shuttle that drops you and picks you up within a 3-mile radius? Our friends and my boyfriend and I made a "short" walk down to the McDonald's... I still don't know to this day how far it really was, but needless to say, we would've been late for our check-out if this shuttle did not come and pick us up, haha! And location-wise, this place is great! Last night my boyfriend and I walked down through Old Town Pasadena, and back and got an eyeful of the night-scene, packed restaurants and characters. We never even had to get into our car to go to dinner or pick up last-minute goods such as water or candy. Location, convenience and service- point four.
Last, but not least, we have a rescue puppy that we haven't fully weaned off separation anxiety. It's hard for us to find places that have reasonable fees/deposits for pets, and a NICE on at that. Ladies and gentlemen, pet-lovers everywhere- the Westin is pet-friendly and lo and behold, no charge- just a waiver. We have a very-well trained dog, she never has had an accident and she doesn't bark, so this was FAIR for us and we agreed very much so with the policy that as long as there's no mess or complaints, we won't be forced to pay an arm and a leg. By the way, there's a beautiful courtyard with fountains, soft grass and shady trees that our puppy just loved relaxing in. Pain-free, hassle-free, fair, and accommodating, point five.
My boyfriend and I will be returning to this Westin every opportunity we have for vacation. The town itself is so beautiful, the Westin was just the frosting on the cake for us- this is our IDEAL vacation. Point and case: we just spent the first night of our second vacation here, and we've already booked our next trip here. And I've also given my first five-star review on TripAdvisor for a hotel, right here and right now. Thanks, Westin- see you soon! :)

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Driving up at check out time was confusing. The driveway is tight and valet parking exits right into the chaos. "Financially fortunate" people with their expensive cars loading and unloading, displaying their entitlement issues like they were rare gems. Wedding guests in a rush to get settled in and ready for the early evening wedding at adjacent location. Me with 2 small dogs, the many bags of a 2 month road trip and a teenaged daughter. This was the opening scene. Gold level SPG member, so I was quickly dispatched to a room. Hotel decor is current. The rooms were large and the bed was Heavenly bed by Westin. Plenty of room for dog kennels and all our stuff. Bathroom was nice. 2 headed shower with large ledges for shampoo etc.

Towels decent.

Included a separate vanity style double sided mirror w magnification. Loved that.

Pool small but nice. Workout room truly above average.

Dog walk area was one of the best. Grassy, clean of poop, shaded, cooler temperatures due to fountains nearby.

Room service menu above average. Restaurant average for this type of hotel. We declined housekeeping and got $5 off food. Make your own bed and hang your own towels and get $5. Sign me up.

Gift shop lacking. No trash cans in lobby or near elevators which I found odd.

Really nice lobby living room. Wanted to have a sit but didn't.

Had to wait for bellman at checkout. There was some confusion about the car valet. But once I figured that out we were on our way quickly.

Will stay here again when in Pasadena.

• Stayed: June 2013