“I love this hotel but glad I brought eye mask because rooms are sunlit and bright in the morning.”

The Westin Pasadena
Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Pasadena
GreenLeadersBronze level
San Diego, California
Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

What a great stay and awesome service over the top. Rooms are very sunny in the morning so bring a sleep mask. Powerful showers were such a pleasant surprise and take a bath. Most comfortable design ever. I love the white rooms.

• Stayed May 2013
Timothy L, General Manager at The Westin Pasadena, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Thank you for your testimony to Southern California and the sunshine. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and can't wait for your return trip.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Gloucester
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Good Hotel situated in the beutiful Pasedena .. Spacious clean rooms with free wifi ( 1st time ever ine a US hotel ) comfortable beds , with a great sun lounge terrace with 4 chairs and 2 beds ..
Friendly helpful staff ...and a great location to hit the local areas .

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us and for your comments. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay and hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.
Aptos, California
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I'm a Westin fan (and "Starwood Preferred Guest), but this time I booked my room last-minute using Priceline. Got a great rate, loved my room, and the location in Pasadena was perfect. (I didn't use the complimentary shuttle, but appreciated that it was available; the hotel is walking distance from Old Pasadena.) I did take advantage of the rooftop pool and spa overlooking the picturesque City Hall. All in all, a great stay!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Timothy L, General Manager at The Westin Pasadena, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Thank you for your loyalty to Westin and Starwood. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you took advantage of our proximity to Old Town Pasadena. There really aren't that many cities any more that are totally walkable and completely safe. I hope that we will once again be your choise when you travel to our area.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I booked the suite at Westin Pasadena back in November of 2012 for April 2013 as it was close to the church where I was having my wedding ceremony. I had hoped to also be able to use the Westin Pasadena and it's wonderful property to take pre-wedding photos. I had spoken to an employee in the sales office and she told me that it would be no problem. Come a week before my wedding I called in to Westin to confirm my suite and as well taking photos at the terraced lawn/fountain. To my dismay I was told that I had to reserve the terrace for photos and that there would be a charge. However, the terrace had already been reserved that day for another wedding. I was frustrated and upset at the situation particularly because I was not told about this earlier when I had asked the Westin Pasadena and booked my suite back in Nov 2012. I was fine with the fee, but as I spoke with the sales manager Alma I was told there was nothing that they could do even though I had clear record of what day I spoke with the sales woman. Alma said she would try to call the couple and see if they could change their time block for pictures. Yet after several days she never returned my calls which I felt was extremely unprofessional especially given that I was stressing out over my wedding already. I ended up not being able to take photos at the terrace and the day of we saw that Westin had also blocked out the majority of the area for painting.

ROSE SUITE ROOM REVIEW:
I was even more disappointed by the Rose suite. It was clearly outdated, bathroom doors had scratched paint, A/C was loud and produced a slight humidity rather than dry air, and you could see stains on the carpet in areas such as under the lounge chair in the bedroom that had been caused by the legs. For the price of the suite and being a guest of two days I will say there are better options in Pasadena and even other SPG family hotels you can choose from. My only positive comment was that the front-desk, bell hop, and valet were prompt in assisting me. I will never come back to Westin Pasadena again!

8 Thank Juls333
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us on the weekend of your wedding. I am sorry that there was some misunderstanding regarding the plaza area that you wanted to stage your photographs. I understand that you must have been disappointed to be unable to do your photos in the courtyard. It is a beautiful area and makes a great backdrop for pictures. Just to further clarify the situation, we reserve the space that belongs to the hotel for wedding ceremonies. When there are no ceremonies booked, anyone is free to take pictures on the plaza and in the courtyard, which is why I am sure that you were told that you may take pictures there. Your request would not have been ‘booked’ because there was no ‘event’ that would be associated with your pictures.

I understand that Alma tried to work with you and give you options. I am sorry if they were not satisfactory.

We have walked the Rose Suite and will take extra care, based on your recommendations, to ensure that the presentation of the suite is up to our standards.

I wish you and your husband happiness and prosperity in your life together.
Lake Forest, California
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We arrived after 7 in the evening and our room was not available. The desk clerk was apologetic and concerned that our needs were not being met. Five minutes later we were upgraded to a suite. The concierge quickly brought us a business card requesting we review the hotel for Trip Advisor. Our bell cart was sitting in the hall of the lobby and I voiced my concern over our laptops and camera. The desk clerk sprinted over calling the bellman who immediately responded. All employees with positive and warm attitudes.
The suite was a large, clean and redesigned room trying to provide for the changing needs of the traveler. Our bellman shared helpful information - Sunday check out time was very flexible. When we left for an evening walk - we became aware of the large church facing the hotel. That meant morning bells - but we never heard them ring. Kudos for the sound integrity!
This is a fine hotel with reasonable prices located just 2 blocks from Colorado. The concierge in the morning even gave precise directions to our breakfast spot ( 2 blocks down, turn right then one block and 28 steps - he always orders the egg salad). Very personable staff - that makes this my first choice in Pasadena.

Room Tip: The is a Starwood Hotel, so join the club. We were offered an upgrade for membership and then were...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay. Although I am not quite sure why there was a delay in getting your room, however, I am pleased that we were able to upgrade you to a suite and that you had a wonderful stay. I hope that we will have the opportuntiy to welcome you back soo to enjoy our hotel.
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed April 29, 2013

You know what I love about Westins? They always smell fantastic. The check in was a little slow, the guy was new. I understand though. I was new working the front desk of a hotel once. The rooms were very clean, very nice. Spent some time in the pool area which was fun. The pool may be small but it gets pretty deep and the hot tub is nice as well. I love roof deck pools. Beds are super comfy. I recommend this property.

Green Features: I am all for practices that help the environment out!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing the Westin Pasadena. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your loyalty to Westin. I look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Riverside, California
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I've stayed at numerous Westin Hotels and this one is up there in terms of decor, location and ambiance. I stayed here from April 19th-21st. In terms of the hotel, it was amazing. However this review will be totally based on the customer service that i received:

On the 19th my friend and I booked a room. No problem/issues during the 19th. However, on the 20th I booked a separate room for me and my wife because we were attending a wedding reception at the Westin Pasadena. I popped into the reception area around 11am to ask the receptionist if my room was ready and she confirmed it was. I ask her what's the room rate because i was told it was $149 and she acknowledged that was correct. However it was on the 3rd floor. Being an SPG Gold Member, usually we are accommodated with a room upgrade if available or at least a room on a higher floor which i requested. She informed me to check back around 2-3pm and left my reservation as "pending" however she asked for my CC. I asked why and she said it was for "incidentals." I complied, she ran the card, and i went back to my room to get ready for my friend's big day.

I then proceeded to come back around 2pm to see if there's a room available on a higher floor. The lady i first dealt with is there but I'm speaking to a different person now. He informs me that there isn't but the third floor is very nice. I'm pressed for time because the wedding starts at 3. We go back and forth on the issue and finally i give up and just tell him to just book it and i'll be back at 5pm to get my room keys. He then asks for my CC again to run for "incidentals" and i inform him that my card has already been ran because the reservation was technically pending. I then told him that the lady next to him at the other terminal was the person that helped me out last time and ran my card. He said it didnt go through and i proceed to give him my card to run again and then take off.

After getting back from the wedding, I head to the reception area to get my roomkeys with my wife. i'm now speaking to the third receptionist of the day. He tells me that my room is ready and that its $199 a night. I become very frustrated because the first lady i spoke to confirmed that it was $149 a night. We to go back and forth about the price and he brings in another gentlemen to help out the cause. 4 DIFFERENT FRONT DESK RECEPTIONS?!?! give me a break!! When this other fellow comes to help, he tells me the exact same thing. He walks me over to my wife and tell us the situation a bit more calmly because he could tell i was getting annoyed to the point of upset. I just bit my lip and said screw it just give us our roomkey so we can make it up to the wedding reception in the ballroom. Then a THIRD TIME THEY ASK FOR MY CC AGAIN to run for "incidentals." This is now becoming a joke because you've already ran my card twice. i comply and then leave.

A couple days later, i check my CC statement and "technically" got triple charged. When i saw technically, its because one of the charged was pending for 3-4 days before finally getting wiped off so it was never posted however it was ran for that amount.

the 2 actual amounts that got posted were for room rates of $149 and $199. I call the Westin to talk to someone about this and they transfer me to the acct. manager. Her vmail comes up and i leave a message. 2 hrs later no response i call back asking for a GM or manager thats avialable and they transfer me to the front desk manager, whos vmail i get and i leave another message. I call about 3-4 more times during the day and finally at 4pm i get through to the front desk manager. NOW SHE INFORMS ME that apparently i got charged for a room on the 8th floor (the one i originally wanted) for $149 and she asks "did anyone give u a room key?" i say ARE YOU SERIOUS? i stayed on the 3rd floor i didnt have a clue i had a room on the 8th floor. She confirms that she sees another room under my name on the 3rd floor for $199. I tell her that 3 people told me it was 199 a night instead of 149 yet i mysteriously booked a room for 149 that i didnt even know about. She asks if i stayed on the 8th floor room and i say no. She tells me she will check with housekeeping to see if anyone was in that room and if they say their wasnt, then i will get my money back. i tell her to check because no one was in there. We hang up. She calls back 30 mins. later apologizing and telling me that she checked and housekeeping confirmed no one was in that room. She told me that i will be refunded the amount of the room and for the room that i stayed in (199) she will bring that charge down to 149. I thanked her and appreciate the service she delivered but this doesnt absolve the blatant lack of customer service her receptions / acct manager (not returning a phone call after numerous calls/vmails) displayed. I tell her that i would really like to speak to her GM about this matter because not only did my wife and I waste time during our best friends wedding, we were lied to. She tells me that she will transfer me to her manager.

A gentlemen picks up saying Hello and i response that my name is such-in-such and i had a couple issues id like to talk to you about in regards to my weekend stay at your hotel. His response :"UHHHH UHHHH UHHHH whats your name? can i call you back later in 30?" i tell him my name and number. He never calls back again. Its been about a week now.

The sad thing: I just stayed at the Westin St. Francis in San Francisco this past weekend and the service we received up there was AMAZING! However, the stay at the Westin Pasadena almost made me cancel my wife and I's reservations at the Westin St. Francis.

4 front desk receptionists, 1 acct. manager, 1 front desk manager, 1 supposed GM and i only got good customer service from 1 out of 7. sadly i'll never stay at this hotel again even though the place is beautiful and in a great location.

3 Thank binit g
Thank you for your comments and I ask you to accept my apologies. It seems as though you got caught int he perfect storm. I have tried to research the issues that you had and while several of the associates that I believe you dealt with remember your situation, it seems as though there was some confusion that you fell victim to. I assure you that your experience is not 'normal' and that we strive to make our guest feel special and appreicated.

I sincerely hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Westin Pasadena.