“Pleasant overnight stay at the Westin Pasadena”

The Westin Pasadena
Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Pasadena
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 7, 2011

I liked this Westin, and I think the staff was helpful in accommodating requests for an early check in. They also ran a shuttle to and from the Rose Bowl on UCLA football game days, which was nice. The room itself was clean, but not really what I would consider 4 stars. At that star level one would expect bigger bathrooms, maybe a jacuzzi tub, and floor to ceiling windows (the windows on this building are tiny). A small refrigerator or kitchenette would have been nice also. The location is outstanding though and the staff, including the front desk and valet parking staff, are helpful. If you can get a good rate and want to hang out in Old Town Pasadena, this is a good place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank elwitty
Write a ReviewReviews (1,427)

Reviewed November 7, 2011

Yesterday/Sunday my collegues and I had a superb breakfast at the Ventannas. Norman's friendly service was great as usual and the food was very tasty. Thank you very much. Steve Dewar

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Timothy L, General Manager at The Westin Pasadena, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2011

Thank you Mr. Dewar, Norman is a star member of our team and a great ambassador for Westin. I hope that you select us again when you travel to Pasadena.

Reviewed November 3, 2011

A bit pricey for what it is but maybe that is due to location. Only stayed overnight for business, since it is close to a meeting I had the next morning. Did not enjoy the surrounding areas but the hotel was efficient and reasonably comfortable. I was also upgraded to a suite which was nice.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed November 2, 2011

The Westin Pasadena is a good hotel but does not rank as a great hotel. The rooms are nice but small. The service was good overall but the restaurant service can be somewhat slow for breakfast. The valet service was usually very prompt as long as you called ahead. We did have a problem with our bathroom door. After the front desk was informed of the issue it was repaired by the time we returned.
The hotel is located a block from Colorado Avenue and some excellent shopping and restaurants.
The fitness center is well equipped but could use more room and mats for stretching.
When checking out be sure to review the bill as we had two mistakes (about $100).

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 1, 2011

I put on a class reunion recently at this hotel. They were extremely hard to work with and not very accomodating. They need to have their staff trained by Marriott where they know how to treat customers. If you're considering a wedding or event there, DON'T GO. Prices are very overpriced for what you get and their minimums are outrageous. Make sure you get everything in writing. I'm glad I did. They tried to charge us $250 for using a small amount of confettie on each table, but never told us it wasn't allowed. They will screw you if they can with a smile on their face. You've been warned!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank J L

I am truly sorry that you had an unfavorable experience with our hote. We pride ourselves in great customer service. I wish that you would have written about hte great time everyone had at your reunion instead of the "confetti incidnet". We do have strict guidelines on the use of confetti due to the significant processes used to ensure that future events don't have to enjoy your confetti.

Reviewed November 1, 2011

First off, the only good thing about the hotel was the room itself. Other than that, there was nothing redeeming about this place. We drove into the driveway, parked the car, and waited about 5 minutes for one of the three valet guys (none of whom were doing anything or helping anyone) to approach the car. When taking our luggage from the car, the guy slammed the suitcase on the ground and threw the computer bag to the sidewalk. No idea why he thought that was a good idea. We walked into the hotel only to have the bartender stomp behind us as we were obviously not walking fast enough for her. We approached the front desk and without a smile was asked what we needed. After we checked in, the bellhop began to take us to our room. After he asked us to enter the elevator first, he proceeded to hit me with the luggage cart. After dropping off our luggage he waited for us to tip him. We were almost laughing out loud at this point since we had only been in the hotel for maybe 15 minutes, had received such bad service and had someone waiting for a tip... That night we went to the hotel bar. Once we got our second round, we were told it was last call because there were not enough people. There were about a dozen people in a bar that maybe had a 25 person capacity. The bartender then let us all know that she was closed and started to clean... The stay proceeded to get worse as time went on. I would never recommend or stay at this hotel again! For the price point and potential, it was a huge disappointment!!!

Room Tip: Fourth floor had gym and pool.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank danirin

Thank you for your feedback. I must say that I am disturbed by it. You certainly did not have a "Westin Experience" and I apologize for that. I can assure you that what you felt was not typical of our guests' feedback is and hope that we will have the opportunity in the future to regain your faith.

Reviewed October 31, 2011

I stay here quite often for business. It's location is good and as far as staying within the SPG brand for Pasadena, I feel it's better location than the Sheraton.

The one thing about this hotel is the sound. You can hear everything (and I mean everything) in the adjacent rooms. I've learned to ask for rooms facing the El Paseo courtyard, since there is less street noise here. The worst rooms are facing Walnut - you won't sleep there.

Let me just say no more than this hotel has a very active clientele :-)

Food and service are great. Best to arrive before 6, otherwise you end up with the non-preferred and nosiey rooms. Does not matter if you are SPG Gold/Plat. They seem to just line up guests here floor by floor, room by room. Sorta have to point our your status and maybe they will accommodate.

If you are a light sleeper, consider the Langham or the Sheraton SPG rooms (2 story).

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business