“I hate this place”

Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Waitstaff
Pasadena, CA
“I hate this place”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2009

I have been here a few times, including the week it first opened. I've been here for wine tasting and I've been here for the 'scene'. It's definitely a place that caters to the latter. My coworkers use it as a pickup joint. At night the place is illuminated with candles and has a cool vibe as people sit on the patio. However, the bartenders are inattentive. I've waited a long time for drinks before, sometimes even having to reorder. Some of the food (finger foods and tapas) is acceptable for what is basically a bar, but it's expensive for what it is. The vibe tries to be like the Cat and the Fiddle in Hollywood except the food and wine aren't as good. (I think this place predates that, though, so I can't accuse them of copying.) Going to the bathroom here is always an adventure, too. Not that the bathroom is dirty. It's just not, uh, private.

What really irritated me was when I found out that they don't really care about wine. This is evident from the meager list (for a wine bar). The modus operandi here is to have a selection of mediocre, but atypical wines (no Kendall Jackson here) which many of the clients will not have heard of and for which they can charge a good markup. The bartender told me once that the owner is not really into wine or food and is a "pizza and spaghetti red or beer" kind of guy. That's too bad. I had high hopes when I first stumbled into this place, but it has dashed them with all subsequent visits. Still, it seems to do good business on the singles scene.

1 Thank dvg_loves_cali

Pasadena, California
“OK spot for wine, better...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2009

OK spot for wine, better beers and appetizers. Not sure about the crowd that frequents the place, but OK as long as you are with friends.

“GREAT happy hour!! one...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2008

GREAT happy hour!! one of the best one in old town!! great food...great price...great drink!!

Los Angeles, CA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Love this place for its...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2008

Love this place for its service. If you go there, Jewel's the waitress you want. Drinks and food are good but not great. One of the only places I know that makes Soju-tinis Wine list is decent, nothing real fancy. Good for hanging out.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“too trendoid for me”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2008

too trendoid for me

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

Been to Bodega Wine Bar? Share your experiences!