“Bad service ... 'sauce, you want sauce?'”
Review of Matsuri

Matsuri
Ranked #112 of 711 Restaurants in Pasadena
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Seattle
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Bad service ... 'sauce, you want sauce?'”
Reviewed May 12, 2009

This is probably more reflective of one waitress than of the whole restaurant (the other waitress was helpful) ... I asked for tonkatsu sauce and she questioned why I would want it (it was for my rice) -- a customer asks for sauce, just give it to them. Then my wife ran out of sauce for her chicken katsu and asked for more sauce. The same waitress questioned why. It's just some sauce, c'mon! Then she added $1 to our bill for sauce! I asked the owners why they were charging me for sauce, but the same controlling waitress came by and defended her cause: "You don't get free sauce at McDonald's." Huh? Yes, you do, I said, and this isn't a McDonald's. I suppose if you want to be compared to McD's you can be. We went her because of the Trip Advisor rating/feedback. You can do better ...

Plus the food was mediocre ... I had the Chicken Karaage ... rate 2/5. The California roll was 4/5. Katsu 3/5.

1 Thank warinseattle

• Korean first
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Deemed fairly authentic...”
Reviewed October 9, 2008

Deemed fairly authentic by Japanese friends. There are places in MPk that are better, but this is not bad for Pasadena.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Pasadena, California
“Our Favorite Place”
Reviewed August 1, 2008

Ever since we moved to Pasadena and discovered Matsuri, we've been eating there every week. Their fish is fresh and the service is friendly. They serve authentic Japanese food. The family that runs this place is so friendly. They have great lunch specials as well as dinner menus. Highly recommended!

california
“Delicious Japanese Lunch”
Reviewed March 19, 2008

Matsuri is a wonderful place to enjoy an authentic Japanese lunch (try the Matsuri Bento for a real treat under $10). Dinner is also reasonably priced. The owners are warm & attentive & the food just delicious! Try to go at off times (like 11:30 or 6 p.m.) as the servers tend to get overwhelmed when it gets busy. I've had to ask for my bill everytime I've been there. Can't beat the food nor the price for the value you get.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“best chirashi sushi i've...”
Reviewed January 22, 2008

best chirashi sushi i've had

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook