“Cinco de Mayo”
Review of El Cholo Cafe

El Cholo Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
El Cholo Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #70 of 722 Restaurants in Pasadena
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Garfield Ave. and Colorado Blvd.
Description: El Cholo Pasadena opened its doors to the public in October 2000 on Fair Oaks Ave. We moved to the Paseo Mall in December 2010 on Colorado Blvd. keeping the 88 year old legend going strong. All of the El Cholo restaurants feature authentic and traditional Mexican dishes, many of which have come from family recipes dating back to 1923. Our distinctive menu offers classics such as our famous Green Corn Tamales, Enchiladas,and sizzling Fajitas. Our Combination plates along with our newer comidas especiales have made El Cholo famous along with our irresistible Nachos introduced in the 1950's. But there is one thing that El Cholo is especially known for and that is our Award-Winning Margarita. The decor of El Cholo Pasadena radiates warmth and relaxation. The Hacienda style architecture is accented with hand-painted arches, rustic ceiling timbers and traditional Mexican murals. Amenities include two full service bars, three outdoor patios,and a private banquet room.
Reviewed May 15, 2014 via mobile

While on business in Pasadena, we decided to celebrate Cinco de Mayo at El Cholo Café. Margaritas were authentic, made with real lime, and the Mariachis were exceptionally good. We ordered the guacamole made table side. It was fair - I've had better. We also shared the filet mignon tacos. Unfortunately. They were cold by the time they arrived at our table. I was expecting better.

Reviewed May 13, 2014

We were pleased to again enjoy our tradition of stopping for lunch in Old Town Pasadena, a locale that offers the feel of California in the 1920's and far surpasses Los Angeles in terms of eateries and charm. For two years in a row we have had a wonderful meal at El Cholo. The menu is farly typical Mexican fare with a large variety of typical dishes and combinations. But...the ingredients and the preparation of the food was, perhaps, the best we have experienced. We ordered the enchilada and chile relleno combination. The best chile relleno we have had except for a quite unique one in Santa Fe, N.M. We were later told by that there are a few ways of preparing a relleno and, the waiter chose the traditional one figuring correctly that's what we would prefer. Price-wise around $12 and worth more. They also featured a good selection of Mexican cervezas on tap vs. the usual 2 or so...Atmosphere is more subdued lighting than bright inside and, of course, there is an outside patio. A wonderful restaurant.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

We were staying right across the street and chose El Cholo because it was the only spot in the mall on Colorado that was not a national chain. This is a family-owned place; 3rd generation.
Even on Sunday night, it was busy. We had an exceptionally friendly server. Fair prices and good - although not exceptional - food. Overall a good experience.

Reviewed April 5, 2014

I live in Chicago but make a planned trip to El Cholo every time I head to Pasadena. Fun, relaxing time. Good for a group. I recommend the "special" chile relleno. It hits the mark everytime. I pair it with the abondigas soup and side of black beans. Oh and don't forget the table side made guacamole.

Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I enjoy meeting our friends occasionally for happy hour at local restaurants. This is one of the best values and experiences in the Pasadena area. I hesitate to recommend it because I don't want it to become too crowded, but my loyalty to the TA community compels me. Wine and beer for $3 and margheritas for $5. Two crispy tacos, one chicken one shredded beef, $5. sampler appetizer plate, $5. The wine is BV and very good. The covered patio looks out over Pasadena and the San Gabriel mountains. It's a very relaxing setting. The only negative is the underground parking. If you can tolerate underground mall parking, do not miss this before they raise prices!