“slipped a notch”
Review of Cafe Bizou

Cafe Bizou
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Bizou is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #69 of 705 Restaurants in Pasadena
Transit: Gold Line 1 block east on Holly Street
La Canada Flintridge, California
“slipped a notch”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We had not been here for a while due to Pasadena congestion, but since we had another errand to do in Pasadena, we went again. I had expected to give it a 5 rating, based on previous visits, but the service led me to drop to a 4. The $2 corkage is a great deal, and one of the best reasons for wine lovers to go here. As usual, the food was very good to excellent. My wife had the Thursday special, salmon on a plank, and she liked it. This salmon was white rather than pink, which is unusual, but not a fault. I had the steak au poivre, which was sliced with a nice sauce and done per order. We had wanted to start with shared crab cakes, but alas they bread them. I have gotten fussy about crab cakes and only order them if they are Maryland style - unbreaded. We got the beet and cucumber salad with deep fried goat cheese instead. OK, but not enough beets.

As to the service, it was not hostile or unfriendly, just impersonal. Not much eye contact or talk about the food, and just enough conversation to take our order. Perhaps he was offended by my rejection of the crab cakes.

• Korean first
Bend, Oregon
“Lost its luster”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

This has been a go-to place when I visit my family in the LA area. The food, in the past, has always been excellent and the prices fair. I took my 84-year-old mother there last week since it was a favorite spot she enjoyed with her boyfriend of 30 years, who passed away last year. We sat at "their" table. The servers were very cordial. We were early birds and I noticed the white linen tablecloth was stained (from lunch? or last night's dinner?) which always bothers me. My mother ordered her favorite drink, a Manhattan. They were out of vermouth, which was surprising. She then ordered the lobster and shrimp with mushroom risotto. She woke up at 2:00am with food poisoning and was sick all night. She called the restaurant to let them know a day later and the response was "we're sorry". I had the seared tuna and it was good, as was the mushroom ravioli and spinach that came with it. Wouldn't be my first choice next time, though it has been in the past.

Scotland
“A cozy place to meet with friends”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Visited here on a Sunday lunchtime with friends who I'd not seen for a long time. The environment was great for an extended chat, and by 3.30pm we still hadn't been asked to leave, so the hospitality and welcome was first rate (we did actually leave then, as we suddenly realized we were the only ones left in the place). Food and service was good, with a wide selection to suit everyone - breakfast type goods, salads, as well as entrees of fish, meat, and vegetarian. Well cooked and we didn't have long to wait. Limited parking outside, but there is a valet service in the street and quite a few parking structures within easy walking distance.

Glendale, California
“Old Standby”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

This is our family's restaurant of choice for special occasions - we've been here many times over the years, even hosted a retirement dinner for 50. The menu is predictable with a nice variety of choices and large portions, the food is good, but the best thing is the $2 corkage fee.

• Visited June 2013
Glendale, CA
“dineLA Restaurant Week”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Had lunch at Café Bizou during the first week of dineLA Restaurant Week. Had a reservation for lunch at 11:30 on a Saturday. Parking was a breeze as was checking in. There were many disappointed people, who had not reserved ahead of time, and were being told they were sold out for lunch. Too bad as lunch was delicious. We were attended to quickly and seated in a nice booth at the back of the restaurant. Our orders were taken, beverages delivered with bread and butter following. Within minutes of arriving, the place was packed. Our server was cool, calm, and attentive. I must say our server, Carlos B., was terrific and on top of his service game. What a joy when service is spot on. This was a 3 course lunch. We both started with lobster bisque followed by a grilled lobster Panini, and the lobster, sea scallop, and shrimp pasta. The bisque was good although a little more seasoning would have brightened the dish. The Panini was crisp, full of lobster, avocado, and gooey mozzarella cheese. Whoever said cheese and seafood do not mix is totally mistaken, as it works beautifully. The panini was served with a side of crispy thin cut french fries. The pasta dish was chock full of seafood in a nice tomato sauce atop black tagallini pasta. All the dishes satisfied a Saturday morning after partying hunger. We shared two desserts, the dense chocolaty flourless cake and the tiramisu. Our hands down favorite was the tiramisu. Not too sweet, creamy, with just the right amount of chocolate. Besides the attentive and excellent service from Carlos B., Café Bizou only charges a $2.00 corkage fee! This was pretty amazing since most places want to charge you more than the cost of a bottle of wine. DineLA Restaurant Week provides a great opportunity to try new places without breaking the bank, and this place will go on my list of places to revisit. I hope my experience will mirror yours and will also make your list of places to visit.

• Visited July 2013