“It really cound not have been better.”
Review of Il Fornaio

Il Fornaio
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 741 Restaurants in Pasadena
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Fair Oaks Blvd.
Transit: Metrolink and Gold Line
Reviewed February 5, 2014

My family stumbled upon Il Fornaio after the Rose Bowl parade and had a great meal with awesome service. This is authentic Italian retaurant with food that reminded us of our week in Tuscany three years ago. My wife and I split the "Cristina" pizza - white pizza with Fresh mozzarella, prosciutto, shaved Grana Padano, mushrooms and wild arugula; drizzled with white truffle oil Cal/1040 (copied from menu). The crust was thin and firm. My only problem was I was splitting it. My daughter had the Bolognese which was great. I am writing this in February, so I don't remember everything we had, but they did make a great bloody mary. The service was great. We ran our waitress pretty good, and she took it all in stride. In the end we all said good bye and thanks to the pizza chef - Tony (I think). Just a great place all around. Pricing was fine.

Chamal P, Manager at Il Fornaio, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

Hi Chillbilly,

I would like to thank you for your great review! Our mission at Il Fornaio is to provide our guests with the most authentic Italian food outside of Italy and I am glad that you and you family enjoyed your dinner with us! In addition to our regular menu we also offer a monthly Regionale menu during the first two weeks of the month. The special menus feature dishes from a specific region of Italy. This month we are highlighting the Umbria region and next month the Basilicata region from March 3rd to March 16th. If you are in the Pasadena area again please stop by and say hello!

- Wendy Garriott, Il Fornaio Pasadena

Reviewed January 30, 2014

I went to this restaurant a few years ago for a birthday dinner. I recall I had the seafood linguini. The linguini and sauce were good but the seafood was NOT fresh. In fact, the clams were foul. Had to spit it out. My friend had a salmon dish that he liked but I wouldn't rely on his taste as he's always favorable even if it tastes bad.

We shared the dessert sampler, which at that time made a good impression on me. However, we went again recently, just for dessert, as we had dinner elsewhere close by. Service was efficient and friendly enough but this time, the dessert sampler wasn't as good as I remembered. Nothing really memorable.

Had lunch at their Santa Monica location many times before and that was a better experience. One thing I do love about Il Fornaio is that they do have wonderful breads and breadsticks. Everything else is just average.

Ricardo C, Manager at Il Fornaio, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

Hi TravelmoreSoCal,

I would like to begin by thanking you for your honest review on TripAdvisor. I'm sorry that your visit at our Pasadena location wasn't as great as what your experiences were in the past. You mentioned that you had visited the Santa Monica location in the past and you enjoyed your dining experience more. Sadly, that location closed a little over a year ago but the chef from that Il Fornaio is the chef here in Pasadena. Also, I worked in the Santa Monica location before it closed as well.

I hope that you will give us another chance to show you that our restaurant can live up to your expectations. If you do decide to visit us again please introduce yourself so we can thank you for your review in person.

- Wendy Garriott, Il Fornaio Pasadena

Reviewed January 25, 2014

This is high end Italian restaurant -- with reasonable prices -- next to the unique iPic Theater. They have an extensive wine list of expensive wines to go along with their impressive menu. I had a unique pasta dish which I would love to have again. Silvia, our waitress made us feel special all the time we were there. Highly recommended.

Ricardo C, Manager at Il Fornaio, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Hi djp789,

I would like to begin by thanking you for your great review. Authentic Italian cuisine is our passion and I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit to our restaurant. In addition to our regular dining we also offer monthly wine dinners and cooking classes. Each of our locations offer these monthly events. Please contact me if you would like more information on these events or anything else regarding our restaurant. If you find yourself in Oldtown Pasadena again please don't hesitate to stop by and say hello. We would like to thank you in person for your great review!

- Wendy Garriott, Il Fornaio, Pasadena

Reviewed January 12, 2014

We booked this place using open table on Monday, January 6th the day of the BCS National Championship game for us. We booked because we had a group of 8 and did not think without a reservation we would be able to get in anywhere as a group for lunch given the activities in the area.
Online the menu showed sandwiches / panini's, salads, pizzas, pasta, etc. When we arrived there were unable to find our reservation initially which was disconcerting. Then they placed us in one of the side rooms which was nice once they opened the one window that would open. There was not space for our group on the large outdoor patio, but it looked very nice and inviting.
Once we were on site the menus we were provided did NOT include sandwiches or panini's. When we asked those are only available on the retail / counter as take away not within the restaurant itself - this was a disappoinment.
We had a new / young waiter who was very courteous, but not the most efficient. It took 3 attempts before one of the 8 in our group was able to get a martini straight up (one time it was in a shot glass, the 2nd time came with a salted rim). We asked if he could charge one of our cell phones since there was no power outlet in our dining area. When we were almost ready to leave we asked about the phone and he said he had it in his pocket and never got around to finding a power outlet. While it was not his job to handle this - if he had told us earlier we could have taken tours standing with the telephone at the bar area outside our room where there was a power outlet.
We asked if the check could be spilt before we ordered and were told "yes". The bill arrived not spilt and we asked for it to be split and he brought back all of the food in correct checks and left all of the alcohol on another check. We worked it out because most of us had cash and again it wasn't a big deal if he couldn't spilt the check but were told twice he could and would. I personally just think he was confused.
For the food our group had pizzas, pastas, appetizers and a salad. It was not the best Italian I have ever had, but it was not bad.
I think the patio would be fun for a drink and a snack, but if we go back to this area I would not choose it again for a full dinner meal.

Hi twosassyk,

I would like to begin by thanking you for your review. I am very sorry to hear that your experience at our restaurant was not what you had hoped that it would be. I would like to apologize for all the issues that occurred while you were here and assure you that steps have been taken to make sure that these issues do not occur again in the future.

Since you were in town for the BCS game I assume that you are from out of state but I hope that if you ever find yourself in Pasadena again that you would stop by and say hello. In addition to the regular restaurant we also offer sandwiches and salads and other food from the cafe portion of the restaurant. We also offer catered food for tailgates and other events.

Again, thank you for your review and I sincerely apologize for the confusion and frustration that occurred during your lunch with us.

Take care!
Wendy Garriott, Il Fornaio Pasadena

Reviewed January 11, 2014

Good authintic Italian place, semi formal, consistent food, menu, quality and service. Average prices.

Hi RCrumb,

I would like to begin by thanking you for your review on January 11th. It's really great to hear when guests return to our restaurant because they know that our authentic Italian cuisine and service can always be counted on. I'm happy to hear that you have consistently enjoyed your dining experiences with us.

In addition to our traditional dining experience we also offer a great happy hour, monthly wine dinners and cooking classes. I see that you are not from the area but if you find yourself in Pasadena again please stop by so we can thank you in person for your great review!

- Wendy Garriott, Il Fornaio, Pasadena