“So much potential...”

Akbar Cuisine of India
Ranked #190 of 715 Restaurants in Pasadena
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Description: Akbar best indian restaurant in Los Angeles and Zagat top rated business. Now we're avaiable for online order - Powered by Clorder.
Reviewed December 30, 2011

...and so much work needed. From the outside it looks dark, sparkly, fire-roasted inviting. On the inside, dingy, shambled, and badly in need of a refreshed menu and interior...not the sort of place I'd go back to if it was avoidable...like if there was a McD's within driving distance, I'd prefer it.

There are newer reviews for Akbar Cuisine of India

Reviewed November 29, 2011

Nothing special...location is great...I go here somtimes before the movies or when I have discount coupon...I go to India every year and know what excellent Indian food taste like...the Chef is average...the food is bland and has little flavor...too much chillis at times...they do not know what mild is...

Reviewed November 16, 2011

This is definately the best Indian restaurant in LA and Pasadena. We have been going here for almost 9 years and have our favorite waitress!

Reviewed October 4, 2011

Very authentique Indian restaurant offering delicious food and a large selection of vegetarian dishes - the gobi aloo (cauliflower) and the okra were very good, although the side dishes were a tad expensive. it would also have been much nicer if the tables had been laid with some tablecloths and the seating a bit less cramped. Nevertheless we really enjoyed our meal and will definately return.

Reviewed July 28, 2011

I wish I could give 3 1/2 stars, as I felt overall Akbar was better tha 'average' but not quite 4 stars. I love Indian food, and I think I became spoiled when I lived in England for a few years and great, reasonably priced Indian restaurants were plentiful. I've spent many years since trying to find a place that meets both of those criteria. Akbar is in old Pasadena and typical of many restaurants the atmosphere is cozy, as in you have no choice but to hear every word spoken by the tables on either side of you. We ordered popadums to start and that was my first negative on the value side. Normally popadums and chutneys are just brought to the table, like chips and salsa at a Mexican restaurant, and I was surprised to see charges for popadums as well as several other standard accompaniments, like raita. The popadums were quite charred but once we broke the edges off the flavor was good, as were the chutneys. We ordered lamb masala, mint chicken and vegetable bhuna. Neither rice or naan were included, so we just ordered a side of naan. The chicken was the best dish of the evening, great flavors and well-cooked. The lamb was 75% sauce and 25% lamb, but the little lamb there was was very tender and the sauce was delicious - I was glad I had the naan to scoop the sauce up with. However, if I had ordered that as a single dish instead of sharing a couple I would have been disappointed and hungry. Normally bhunas are one of my favorites, but I really did not like this vegetable bhuna, it was dry andthe flavors just weren't there. So, one great, one good, one not so good. If it was less expensive I would definitely go again, but at over $50 for two (no dessert, not including wine) I'll keep searching.