“Closed”

Good for: Large groups, Business meetings
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Between Union and Holly
Reviewed September 28, 2012

After many years as the leading Chinese restaurant in Pasadena, Yujean Kang's closed abruptly in August. While tables and chairs remain, other fixtures have been stripped fom the dining room and a legal document on the door attests to the demise of this popular restaurant

1  Thank CalinCa

Reviewed June 21, 2012

I liked the service, the food was not asa great as prior reviews said. It was an unusal mixture of food, I haven't had cilantro in Chinese food before, the hot and sour soup was too sour, and the pork loin and scallion dish that I had overcooked the vegetables and was heavily salted. The pork tasted like it was purchased outside of the restaurant and heated up for this dish. The salad was good as were the "12 tiny dumplings"

Reviewed October 19, 2011

Went here yesterday with my boss for lunch... and I loved the ambiance and the service was on point.
The food was very well prepared, with different flavors that you might find in other fast food chinese places... (this is not fast food!)
The crispy beef was stupendous and im very picky with beef... as was the rice and lemon chicken.
I can't wait to come back.

Reviewed October 30, 2009

In Pasadena for a wedding, we ended our visit with a wonderful dinner at this storefront neighborhood restaurant that was a short walk from the Courtyard Marriott (and from the Holly Metro station). It happened to be on the same evening as a massive U2 concert at the Rose Bowl, and some diners were on their way there after fueling up.

My wife ordered a price fixe dinner (about $25) that featured:
CHICKEN WITH SILK SQUASH IN PLUM WINE AND CRISPY PARMA HAM
Sliced chicken breast sauteed with silk squash in garlic, ginger, plum wine, light soy sauce, a touch of chili oil and crispy Parma ham.

The light sauce was just what she wanted and her meal was delicious.

I ordered:
TEA SMOKED DUCK (half)
Marinated boneless duck smoked in a special oven over burning tea leaves, served with Chinese crepes, scallions and plum sauce

This was very tasty, but next time, I will ask chef Kang if he could create a light sauce that would help moisten the pancake-wrapped duck. The plum sauce is not enough to do the job.

Appetizers included a great slivered vegetable salad and an order of nicely-prepared mini-dumplings that are a tad small and slippery for chopsticks. We had to stab the dumplings with a chopstick in order to get them to our mouths, and even that was tricky.

There's an extensive wine list, but because we prefer sparkling beverages with Asian cuisine, my wife was happy with a glass of champagne, while I chose a Belgian ale.

The Mrs. selected a plate of homemade sorbet (pineapple and watermelon) for dessert. I had the luscious:
WARM SWEET RED BEAN PANCAKE SERVED WITH ICE CREAM.

The portions were generous and more than we cared to consume at one sitting. Luckily for us, the hotel has refrigerators in the rooms, so our leftovers chilled during the long evening, staying cool enough to provide LUNCH & DINNER on our long flight back to the east coast.

NOTE TO FOODIES: You will exit smiling. The chef is a master.

Reviewed October 28, 2009

If you approach this on its own terms (i.e. westernised Chinese), you can enjoy some really fine cuisine. The real signature is the subtle flavour combinations. I go there whenever I'm staying in Pasadena (twice a year). It hasn't evolved in the years I've been going, but the quality has stayed consistently good. The seafood dim sum starters are excellent, the tea-smoked duck is irresistible, and I've never had a disappointing dish. My only complaint is they don't keep their wine list up to date (e.g. listing a Vouvray which wasn't in stock). Service is competent and friendly. The dining room can be a bit quiet - it deserves to be better patronised because it really is an excellent dining experience. It offers something that's a bit different but very accessible. I took some gastronomically conservative guests and they loved it.