“Not trying again”

Pasadena Museum of History
Ranked #31 of 66 things to do in Pasadena
Reviewed March 1, 2014

CLOSED on Tuesday when tried to visit. My only visit to Pasena flushed down the toilet as there is a conspiracy to close everything worthwhile cultural that day.

2  Thank k2r

Reviewed November 25, 2013

The house is amazing. Emily that works there is amazing and don't forget to walk to the Koi ponds at AVERY past the gardens . They have wedding dresses there now and it's super cool even for a guy .

1  Thank samewame
Reviewed July 30, 2013

The Pasadena Museum of History has excellent rotating exhibits in the main galleries, but also includes access to a 1906 Mansion on Orange Grove's Millionaires Row. It was built by Eva and Adalbert Fenyes and has recently undergone a two year, two million dollar restoration. It is currently furnished with the original furniture and accessories from about 1912. So it is like going back in time. The Mansion is available for private tours on Thurs Fri Sat and Sun at Noon, for a fee of $15. (Which includes admission to the gallery exhibits) The archives for the City of Pasadena are also at the museum and accessible from 1 pm to 4 pm Thur through Sun.

1  Thank GaleGDavis
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Came here this past Sunday for MOTA (http://www.museumsofthea…) where admission was free. I am pretty glad my husband and I did not pay to come here because we were rather disappointed.

The exhibit that was featured at the museum was "I Do, I Do, Pasadena Ties The Knot" where wedding dresses between 1850- 1950 were on display. As a newly wed, I found this exhibit to be interesting and the information provided interesting as well. As you go through the exhibit and see the different styles of dresses progressing, it really made me feel happy that my wedding dress was not of the same style, lol. But of course I still appreciate the fashion and history.

But anyways, when we first came into this exhibit, a docent told me right away that I am not allowed to touch the dresses and take photos. She made me feel like I was a little kid as she seemed to have already pre- scold me before entering the exhibit. I know not to touch the dresses so I just thought that was kind of annoying that she had to repeat it to me twice... (and this was right before I step foot into the exhibit) and yet she did not tell the elderly people behind us about not touching the dresses... But I still enjoyed looking at the dresses anyway.

Now there is the Fenyes Mansion that is here as well and that was a major disappointment. When we first walked to the museum, we entered through the gates and over to the mansion. We donned on our blue little scrub booties (to protect the floors) and walked inside. Inside the mansion, we were only allowed to see 3 or 4 rooms total, which was well, pretty boring. There were only a few docents around and so very little history was shared with visitors. As I left the mansion, I overheard a docent that they were not having a formal tour because of the large number of people coming for the MOTA day. So I am assuming that perhaps there are more areas in the mansion to venture to on any other normal day, but just not for the MOTA. But I doubt I'd ever come back (even on a free day).

By the way, there is street parking in the residential area or you can try to park in the small lot they have (which was packed for the MOTA day, but doubtful it would be on any other day).

Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

We are members and have been there three times. The first time we saw a really great exhibit on public transportation , which included the mount Lowe railway and the fabulous rail lines from the past .
Presently the " I do, I do " exhibit is well curated and includes wedding dresses from about 1850 to 1950. Many have been donated by the family that also donated the site and the Fenyes mansion.
The dresses are exquisite and really could hold their ground against many fashion exhibits- like the metropolitan museum of art.
Don't miss the Fenyes mansion tour- very limited times. Really interesting and includes a fine plein air paintings .
Good gift shop, Finnish house if open and free parking.

2  Thank lascola