“Classic French Fare, Friendly Service” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cheval Bistro
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Southern California
“Classic French Fare, Friendly Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

Casual and comfortable bistro, with great staff! The menu offers all the French bistro favorites: escargot, tartare, cheeses, beef bourguignon, roasted chicken, and my favorite: the duck salad-crispy and moist. The desserts are all wonderful, banana's foster, profiteroles. The prices here are very reasonable, the servers are all pro's with smiles and make it fun. Corkage is $15 and they will take care of you.... Good place.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank whocareswhoiam

Los Angeles
“How nice to just wander in!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

Was in Pasadena for a car show with my wife, checked TripAdvisor for a place to wlak to for brunch, and of course, I was not let down once again. Thank you all for the great reviews and letting me find this place that I would have never found otherwise. A true location and time warp, I felt like I was in a foreign country 30 years ago (when I traveled extensively). Wonderful food, atmosphere, saw romantic couples (us) and groups doing business. Will absolutely return when I am in the area again!

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank Familyof5in5states
Pasadena, CA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The Cassoulet is a little bit of heaven...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Lovely wife took me to Cheval Bistro for a surprise birthday date.....

This restaurant is EXACTLY what a french bistro should be. Elegant, but not stuffy. Simple, delicious food served without fanfare in rich surroundings.

I love Cassoulet and it's not on many menus these days so I took advantage. When it came to the table it didn't disappoint. It was served in a low ramekin-like dish wit a layer of beans on the bottom, a duck leg, a generous piece of pork belly, and a sausage.....
It was a little bit of heaven. I ALMOST finished the whole thing and had the duck leg the next day for lunch. If you like this sort of thing, don't think twice. Order it.

The vibe in the restaurant is very relaxed, but their attention to detail is terrific. For dessert we had the Ile Flottante which was delicious.

I'm not sure they have a sommelier, and if there was one criticism of the restaurant was that their wine list was somewhat limited. Other than that, it was a home run and we'll certainly be back. My wife had the Moules Dijonnaises (Mussels in broth) and it was very good as well. The sauce was a more creamy than "brothy" which was our only complaint. But this is a personal preference.

Maybe it's not cool to mention another restaurant in a review, but this restaurant compares directly with Kendall's Brasserie in Downtown LA which is our regular haunt after Disney Concert Hall shows. We love that place and having almost the SAME THING locally is awesome. We'll definitely be back.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank fredfx
“Best happy hour in Town!!! I will be back soon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

This us my regular place to go to meet friends for a happy hour!

You will be amazed in all aspects! Service is phenomenal, food amazing and atmosphere beautiful!

If you come to Pasadena try it! I assure you that you will be back.

MD

Glendale, California
“Great food, nice ambiance, really, really slow service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

For our first visit, we arrived on time for our Saturday night 7:45 reservation (party of four). We were seated promptly and asked for our drink orders, which came timely. We ordered our appetizers and entrees. Salads and apps served promptly, and cleared. Then we sat for one solid HOUR waiting for the entrees. The waiter never checked back with us, nor did he ask if he could refresh our drinks.

The food was nicely prepared and delicious, but we were frustrated by the unexplained terrible service. People who were seated after us were fed and long gone by the time we got the entrees. I can only assume we had a bad waiter. Maybe we'll try again, but maybe not.

• 3 of 5 bubbles