“Very Good Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 31 Hotels in Pasadena
Big Lake, Minnesota
“Very Good Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2011

Very pleased with my stay at this hotel. All of the staff were coureous and helpful. The hotel lobby has been renovated and is very hip and inviting. Room was clean, large work desk, fridge, microwave and flat screen TV. Internet service was reliable but a tad slow. My only real issue was with the hot water. It could have been hotter, even cranked all the way open the water was warm. The hotel provides an excellent value compared to other properties in the area. Convenient to shopping and restaurants all within walking distance. I would recommend this property and plan on staying here again when in the area.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Korean first
Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2010

I spent 4 days here.

After an initial problem with a moldy and smelly HVAC system in my room (beware rooms with older units), I was happily transferred to another spacious room. The front desk staff was very sweet and accommodating and gave me breakfast vouchers for the inconvenience.

The breakfast buffet was excellent and food staff very cheery and helpful. My favorite part of my stay was taking a dip in a whirlpool at night in the lovely pool area/courtyard.

I loved that the housekeeping staff would leave a bedside light on, along with a jazz radio station, so when you first entered the room is instantly felt cozy and warm. Nice touch. The room was very clean and I liked having several pillows on the bed and comfy duvet.

Great restaurants and shopping within 2 blocks of the hotel -- I didn't have a car, so I walked everywhere. Loved it and would recommend the hotel to anyone.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
courtyardpasadena, Director of Sales at Courtyard Los Angeles Pasadena/Old Town, responded to this review, November 17, 2010
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel and for choosing our hotel while in Pasadena. It sounds like you definitely made the most of the location and were able to see a lot of what Old Town Pasadena has to offer. That's definitely one of the outstanding features of the hotel, the location, while the other is our employees. Thank you for letting us know about the great service that you received and we hope to provide the same to you again if you ever have the opportunity to visit Pasadena again.
Thank you again, and we hope to see you again soon.
Worldwide
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2010

The hotel is under construction, which didn't really affect us. Of course the lobby wasn't great, but didn't spend any time there anyway. Seems like when things are under construction they should give you some kind of bonus. I dunno maybe the prices are less then what they usually are?

Not particularly cheap, but pretty well in line with the area I suppose. Great location to Colorado. The hotel was pretty quiet. The rooms are a little small, Same goes for the bathroom. Didn't have too many rooms available so it was hard to get rooms together for our little group, they got us on the same floor though. It wasn't a big deal.

The staff were all pretty nice. The conceirge was very helpful and made peferct recommendations for dinner and evening events!! Made the night. :)

If I were to stay in the area again it would be likely that I would chose it again. Especially since with the new construction complete it should look pretty updated. :)

• Stayed October 2010
North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

I feel for the bride who wrote the earlier review. We stayed here as a wedding guest in October and made our reservations a good 4 months in advance after reading the reviews on TripAdvisor. We were NEVER informed of the construction, even at check-in! No apologies or small token for the inconvenience. Otherwise, it was a good stay. Convenient, clean, comfortable, and fortunately, because our room was on the 6th floor, quiet. We planned to meet our friends and family in the lounge each morning. The complimentary coffee was undrinkable and at about 8 am the jack hammering started. I can't imagine anyone staying within a few floors of the noise.

I've stayed at hotels under renovation before and the simple difference is that they acknowledged the inconvenience beforehand and went out of their way to make our stay as nice as possible.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank raven20
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

This hotel had a lovely pool for those who wanted to swim, was located within blocks of great shopping for those who wanted to shop and was surrounded by a large number of good restaurants for those of us who liked to eat out.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank cheapkathleen
Huntington Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2010

I picked this hotel solely to make it convenient to walk over to the buses transporting people to the UCLA football game at the Rose Bowl on September 18th. The game was at 7:30 pm. Rather than drive home at midnight we decided to stay here. The price was right; $119.00 before bed tax and valet.
The hotel was busy the day we arrived, right at 2:00 pm check-in. In addition to football there were members of a wedding party there. But we were quickly greeted by the doorman and checked in at the reception desk.
The first surprise was the elevator. One elevator for six floors on one wing of the hotel. I am told there is another elevator on the other wing. Too little capacity for too many people.
The room was, even by my generous standards, tiny. And awkward. The headboard faced the bathroom wall. That meant the dresser drawer pulled open toward the side of the bed. If a drawer was open you couldn't get by the bed. The TV was also located on this dresser so you would have to crane your neck to the side to watch TV while in bed.
The air conditioner was a wall unit. When we tried to cool the room down all we got was a semi-tepid breeze. I won't say it didn't work, but I will say it didn't work well.
I don't know the history of the building but I don't believe this was originally a Marriott. Compared to other Courtyards it does seem the rooms are too small and outdated. There were the usual Courtyard amenities off the lobby, however.
This location served the purpose for which we intended it and was only for one night.. The next time, however, I would consider some other slightly less convenient options at a slightly higher cost to get a better room experience.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank KenVicLee
courtyardpasadena, Director of Sales at Courtyard Los Angeles Pasadena/Old Town, responded to this review, October 5, 2010
Thank you for your review of our hotel and for your recent stay. I hope the game was a good one and that your time at the Rose Bowl was enjoyable. I'm happy that you were able to receive an early check in as we do everything we can in order to accommodate as many guests upon arrival as possible, however our normal check in time is at 3pm.
With regards to the elevator, my apologies on the information that was received. We actually have 3 elevators, with two on either end of each wing and then one right by the front desk. Unfortunately, the one by the front desk goes unnoticed and we've placed as much signage as possible without being gawdy, however any suggestions on what we can do to bring more attention to this area would be great. I'm not sure which elevator was used, however our staff should have been a little more detailed in the explanation of the different elevators and their locations.
With regards to your room experience, we apologize that it did not meet your expectations. All of our guest rooms are approximately 275 to 300 sq ft and we've placed amenities in the room to help make our guests' stay more convenient, like a large work desk and fridge and microwave in every room, however this may make the appearance of the room a little smaller. Our hotel has always been a Courtyard by Marriott as we opened in July of 2000 as a brand new hotel.
Thank you again for your review and your recent stay. Although we always hope to meet our guests expectations we will definitely follow up with our team members to be more detailed in their descriptions of our services and amenities.
Our best to you and we wish you safe travels. And a happy and healthy college football season.
Pasadena, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2010

I wish I did not have to write this review. However, maybe my recent experience will keep others from having a similar negative experience . I chose this as the host hotel for my out of town wedding guest. To be fair, the woman who sold me on the original quote (Grethel) was very nice and courteous. That is where the positive service ended. After we moved forward, we were not able to get in contact with her again. As our guest called in to make their room reservations, they were told there were no reserved rates. I had to call in numerous times, sit on hold numerous times, while the clerks searched their computer systems (which were often "down") to retreive our reserved rate information. I chose to look past this reoccuring inconvenience.

The final straw was when one of my guest called me to ask if I was aware that the hotel was going to be under construction during their stay. I just knew she was mistaken, however when I called my sales rep, they did confirm it would be. NO ONE called me to inform me of this major change. When I expressed concern about this, the hetel Operations Manager non-chalantly shrugged it off saying "they would be emailing guest about the construction in the future."

Growing extremely dismayed by the lack of concern or service I asked, why was I not informed of the construction when we booked the hotel? To this inquiry this is what I was told...

"When you booked we did not know if the construction would affect the dates you were inquiring to stay. If we had told you about the construction, and you chose to go with a different hotel, and the construction did not take place during your stay after all, then we would have both lost out."

I was shocked. To this I responded, so instead of informing me of the possibility of construction, which IS affecting my guest dates, now *I* just lose???" Again, in a very non chalant way he just responded, "the construction shouldnt matter, it is he customer service they will receive that will make the difference."

I was astounded. When I followed up with my concerns not only about the construction but about the customer service, although the General Manager had a bit more information in regards to the construction, he just said, "If you are not okay with the construction, (the lobby will be torn out, the front end closed and guest sent around to the back to check in, the resteraunt area closed. The lounge area in the hotel, closed. etc.) feel free to move all of your reserved guest to another hotel."

I WISH WE COULD! To quote the Courtyard Marriot's Operations Manager, seems "I lose again", because although we had comprable rates at other area hotels at the time I chose to go with Pasadena's Courtyard Marriott because of it's asthetic appeal, now all the other area hotel rates are $70.00 -160.00 higher at this late date. We are stuck were we are unless I inconvenience my guest further more by asking them to change reservations AND pay more in the process.

To anyone reading this, stay far away from booking this hotel if you care at all about customer service and peace and quiet for the duration of your paid stay. (after all, who knows when they will be doing construction again..)

• Stayed September 2010
    • 1 of 5 stars
courtyardpasadena, Director of Sales at Courtyard Los Angeles Pasadena/Old Town, responded to this review, September 24, 2010
Thank you for your time in writing about your experience with our hotel and our current renovation of our lobby. Please let me begin by apologizing for the communication and service that you have received. We were scheduled for the renovation in the summer months, however due to items being on back order, it was postponed. We were notified at the end of August that it would begin in September and the plan of communication was to notify all of our group contacts as well as email all incoming guests that had email addresses supplied. While we have succeeded in contacting most group contacts and future guests, we did not provide that courtesy to you and for that, I apologize. Please know that it is never our intention to allow any financial decisions to impact our guests and what you were told by a member of our sales team was phrased completely wrong by that person. I will follow up with our team members on this to ensure they understand that at no time did the hotel withhold information from our guests and had we known about the pending construction, we absolutely would have provided this information. We've built a successful hotel based on providing the best in product and service and we would not be able to continue this by knowingly promising one thing and providing something far substandard. If I could somehow take that person's words back, I absolutely would, as that was not the proper or accurate message to convey.
Please know that your words and experience have not gone unheard. Our sales team has begun not only making a second round of calls to group contacts, but to ensure that we communication on a regular basis with our incoming guests, any updates on the lobby renovation and to answer any questions that may arise.
I truly cannot apologize enough as we did not provide the level of service or product that we agreed upon and then did not follow up and communicate this to you. This is a very difficult lesson as we are not able to recover the circumstances that we placed you in, however we will learn from it and attempt to take the proper steps forward as quickly as possible.