“Extremely Poor Customer Service and Consideration”

Courtyard Los Angeles Pasadena/Old Town
Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in Pasadena
Reviewed September 16, 2010

I wish I did not have to write this review. However, maybe my recent experience will keep others from having a similar negative experience . I chose this as the host hotel for my out of town wedding guest. To be fair, the woman who sold me on the original quote (Grethel) was very nice and courteous. That is where the positive service ended. After we moved forward, we were not able to get in contact with her again. As our guest called in to make their room reservations, they were told there were no reserved rates. I had to call in numerous times, sit on hold numerous times, while the clerks searched their computer systems (which were often "down") to retreive our reserved rate information. I chose to look past this reoccuring inconvenience.

The final straw was when one of my guest called me to ask if I was aware that the hotel was going to be under construction during their stay. I just knew she was mistaken, however when I called my sales rep, they did confirm it would be. NO ONE called me to inform me of this major change. When I expressed concern about this, the hetel Operations Manager non-chalantly shrugged it off saying "they would be emailing guest about the construction in the future."

Growing extremely dismayed by the lack of concern or service I asked, why was I not informed of the construction when we booked the hotel? To this inquiry this is what I was told...

"When you booked we did not know if the construction would affect the dates you were inquiring to stay. If we had told you about the construction, and you chose to go with a different hotel, and the construction did not take place during your stay after all, then we would have both lost out."

I was shocked. To this I responded, so instead of informing me of the possibility of construction, which IS affecting my guest dates, now *I* just lose???" Again, in a very non chalant way he just responded, "the construction shouldnt matter, it is he customer service they will receive that will make the difference."

I was astounded. When I followed up with my concerns not only about the construction but about the customer service, although the General Manager had a bit more information in regards to the construction, he just said, "If you are not okay with the construction, (the lobby will be torn out, the front end closed and guest sent around to the back to check in, the resteraunt area closed. The lounge area in the hotel, closed. etc.) feel free to move all of your reserved guest to another hotel."

I WISH WE COULD! To quote the Courtyard Marriot's Operations Manager, seems "I lose again", because although we had comprable rates at other area hotels at the time I chose to go with Pasadena's Courtyard Marriott because of it's asthetic appeal, now all the other area hotel rates are $70.00 -160.00 higher at this late date. We are stuck were we are unless I inconvenience my guest further more by asking them to change reservations AND pay more in the process.

To anyone reading this, stay far away from booking this hotel if you care at all about customer service and peace and quiet for the duration of your paid stay. (after all, who knows when they will be doing construction again..)

• Stayed: September 2010
courtyardpasadena, Director of Sales at Courtyard Los Angeles Pasadena/Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2010

Thank you for your time in writing about your experience with our hotel and our current renovation of our lobby. Please let me begin by apologizing for the communication and service that you have received. We were scheduled for the renovation in the summer months, however due to items being on back order, it was postponed. We were notified at the end of August that it would begin in September and the plan of communication was to notify all of our group contacts as well as email all incoming guests that had email addresses supplied. While we have succeeded in contacting most group contacts and future guests, we did not provide that courtesy to you and for that, I apologize. Please know that it is never our intention to allow any financial decisions to impact our guests and what you were told by a member of our sales team was phrased completely wrong by that person. I will follow up with our team members on this to ensure they understand that at no time did the hotel withhold information from our guests and had we known about the pending construction, we absolutely would have provided this information. We've built a successful hotel based on providing the best in product and service and we would not be able to continue this by knowingly promising one thing and providing something far substandard. If I could somehow take that person's words back, I absolutely would, as that was not the proper or accurate message to convey.
Please know that your words and experience have not gone unheard. Our sales team has begun not only making a second round of calls to group contacts, but to ensure that we communication on a regular basis with our incoming guests, any updates on the lobby renovation and to answer any questions that may arise.
I truly cannot apologize enough as we did not provide the level of service or product that we agreed upon and then did not follow up and communicate this to you. This is a very difficult lesson as we are not able to recover the circumstances that we placed you in, however we will learn from it and attempt to take the proper steps forward as quickly as possible.

Reviewed September 12, 2010

We were in California visiting Family as part of our Vacation. We spent 4 nights at the Marriott Courtyard then left for a few days travel to other locations. All in all, we stayed in 4 hotels during our vacation and by FAR The Marriott Courtyard was the cleanest, had the best customer service and the rooms were cozy and very comfortable! My Husband and I are both in the business of Retail Management, so we expect alot when we travel away from home. We were not disappointed! Thank-you to the entire staff of The Marriott Courtyard in Old Pasadena!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cindy0815
courtyardpasadena, Director of Sales at Courtyard Los Angeles Pasadena/Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2010

Thank you for your recent stay with us. We feel completely the same as far as looking at other businesses and their level of customer service. When we see something that may need to be changed or should be complimented, we try to do the same. Thank you for your compliment and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed July 16, 2010

The staff at the Courtyard in Pasadena is wonderful. Everyone greets you with a cheery hello when you pass by - from the front desk to the concierge. The food in the restaurant is fantastic. The breakfast buffet had a nice variety; the evening buffet our group had was quite tasty. The restaurant staff was attentive to all of our needs.

The room was sizable and comfortable, as was the bed. The mints on the pillow each night were a nice touch.

The only negatives: the free Internet access in the guest rooms and in the conference rooms was woefully slow. Also, rooms facing Fair Oaks Avenue tend to be noisy - some cleaning or maintenance event noisly happens early Wednesday Am at around 2 that was not conducive to sleeping with the window open.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 25, 2010

I recently stayed at this hotel while attending meetings at the nearby JPL facility. The hotel is located only a couple of blocks off the main thoroughfare of Pasadena, making everything in Old Town very accessible and within walking distance, which was wonderful! The valet staff never failed to open the front doors for guests and the front desk staff greeted everyone with genuine enthusiasm. This Courtyard even has a concierge! Another bonus was the complimentary Starbucks coffee in the lobby, although one morning both the coffee and creamer were out and there didn't seem to be anyone addressing the issue - minor hiccup. The rooms were fairly typical of a Courtyard and included a micro/fridge combo, iPod docking station and Bath and Body Works products. The biggest test of the staff came following a scheduled water shut-down for maintenance. While the staff adequately warned hotel guests that the water would be shut off overnight, nobody was prepared for a failure of the boilers upon turning the water back on at 5am. This, unfortunately, meant their guests were forced to either forgo a morning shower or submit themselves to a (freezing) cold shower. Bad situation, but the staff rebounded by compensating guests with rewards points, meal vouchers, etc and were extremely apologetic. My rewards points were deposited in my account within 5 minutes of my leaving the front desk! Not an ideal stay, but I admire the resiliency of the staff and would definitely consider returning to this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
courtyardpasadena, Director of Sales at Courtyard Los Angeles Pasadena/Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2010

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for posting on Trip Advisor. We definitely appreciate your patience during the challenge that took place with the hot water. A hotel can be very similar to a house in which there is constant maintenance needed and then sometimes, as in this case, a repair needs to take place and we do our best to not inconvenience our guests. This particular instance did not go as planned, and an inconvenience did occur, and for this we do apologize. We realize that guests do not come to hotels to be inconvenienced, however it is good to know that our efforts to help recover this occurence did not go unnoticed. Your comfort is very important to us and we would welcome the opportunity to have you stay with us again so that we may show exactly how great of a job we can do.
Thank you again for taking the time to write in about your experience at the hotel and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed April 20, 2010

We are locals who, after checking all the moderately priced options in the area, chose the Courtyard Marriott as the one we refer our out of town guests to. Last week we had some work done on our house that necessitated our leaving for a few days so we booked a suite. Overall, our experience was great. The location can't be beat-with access to all of Old Town's restaurants and shops that we love.

The suite was very roomy, and allowed for plenty of room for our 2 year old to play in. It was comfortable, tasteful, and relaxing! We were on the 6th floor and had a view of the courtyard, pool, and mountains in the distance. We heard the St. Andrew's bell tower ringing on the hour, and it was very pleasant. (It's only during the day!) My son would stop what he was doing and listen attentively. The bathroom area was large, but there was only one sink in the extended counter top. The bar area also could have used a sink. The bed was comfortable, though a little on the soft side for my taste. There were 2 flat screen TVs, but surprisingly no movies available for purchase.

The hotel had a lot of business guests, and had different conferences/events during the day. In the evening, there would be a small group at the bar. This didn't really affect us (as leisure travelers) though. The breakfast was pretty decent and included the usual selections with the addition of cooked to order omelets, and make your own waffles. There was only one day that was warm enough for swimming in the pool and it was fantastic. The pool was heated and the temperature was perfect. They provided plenty of towels also-with no attendant rationing them out.

Overall the service was good and the staff was friendly to us and our son. The one time we requested something from housekeeping, they promptly brought it to us.

The only negative was the cost-since we needed a suite and it was last minute we weren't able to get any discounted rates either at the hotel on online. Also, the parking fees were a little high IMO. They offer both valet and self parking, and the fees for each are pretty much the same! However, the self parking is conveniently located adjacent to the back of the hotel which I found to be easier. And with the valet service, if you leave at peak times such as at 9 a.m., you might have to wait longer for your car.

All in all, we will continue to refer our out of town guests to the Courtyard Marriott.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank cylander
courtyardpasadena, Director of Sales & Marketing at Courtyard Los Angeles Pasadena/Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2010

Thank you for your recent stay and for the best compliment you can give us: referring your out of town guests to us. We are happy that you had a pleasant stay with us and were able to not only enjoy Old Town, but the swimming pool as well.
Thank you again for your stay and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed March 17, 2010

I highly recommend this hotel if you plan on staying in Old Town Pasadena. Its only 2 blocks from the great shopping and restaurants on Colorado. The staff members were really friendly and the rooms were clean and quiet. They also offer free internet as well which was a pleasant surprise. We also got a great rate because they were advertising a special on their website so we winded up paying only $109 per night which was a great deal!

Overall, a great place to stay for couples or for families!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank worldisawonderland
Reviewed March 5, 2010

We had plenty of room to sleep, but should get a suite next time so we had more living space. Very good location, walk to Old Town, great fun. Better than I expected for a Courtyard for sure.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Airstream28IntlCCD
courtyardpasadena, Director of Sales & Marketing at Courtyard Los Angeles Pasadena/Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2010

Thank you for your recent stay with us and the review of our hotel. Please let us know when you're in town again and we can check on the availability of our suites for you. They are twice the size of a normal room and should be able to accommodate you in the proper fashion. Also, thank you for mentioning that we did not appear to be the typical Courtyard. We've made lots of upgrades to the hotel and our services to put us more in line with a full service hotel, so we are happy that you were able to take advantage of these offerings and that you had a good stay. We hope to see you again.