“Good Value for your Money”

Courtyard Los Angeles Pasadena/Old Town
Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in Pasadena
Reviewed May 28, 2007

When I initally read reviews about this hotel I was def. worried about the room. The location of the hotel is perfect! It is within walking distance of everything.....restaurants, great shopping and bars. The room is was very clean, the bed was comfortable and the room was quiet. The pool was a bit on the small side, but there were plenty of chairs so you didn't have to worry about saving them. I'm not sure why people had a gripe about the hotel - it's a courtyard marriott - not a four seasons! It's not a luxury hotel....if you want a four or five start hotel - stay at the ritz carlton or the westin. This hotel has the basic amenties so you can't go there with staying there. FYI - they are currently doing some renovations in some of the rooms. You can hear some of the noise during the day, but they stop promptly around 5PM and don't start early in the morning. My husband and I like to sleep in and we weren't woken up by any noise. For the value of your money, location and cleaniness, I would recommend staying there.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 5, 2007

I decided to stay at This property the weekend of the LA Marathon, since everything closer to town was booked and I like Old Town Pasadena. This is one of those hotels you drive past and think, "Well that looks like a nice place to stay." Unfortunately, the interior, service and layout do not match the quality of the exterior.

During check in, I tried to chat a bit with the Front Desk Agent, since I work in the hotel industry. She and her cohorts (including the MOD) could not have been colder or less accommodating. I have to think, from the looks they were giving my partner and me, that this was due to our being a gay couple of different races. They were all black, and so is my partner. Well, after the cold reception, I asked where the elevator was located. With no eye contact, the manager sent us on a wild goose chase to an elevator that took us to our floor on the wrong side of the building. Meanwhile, when we left the room, we found an elevator right on our hall that took us right to the lobby area. What is the purpose of this meanness?

The room itself is very dated and tired, except a marginally comfortable bed. I found hair in the toilet, on the sink counter and in the tub...who cleans the rooms? The a/c is in the window and is very noisy...cannot control it by a normal thermostat. The overall look of the hotel is equally dated. Our room faced the courtyard and if felt like a prison block.

I must say that the parking valet was very pleasant and friendly. Outside of this, stay here ONLY if you have a very low rate and feel you can pass inspection by the rudest front desk I have ever encountered. They should be ashamed of themselves.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 5, 2006

I laughed when I read the review complaining about cottage cheese ceilings, thinking "if that's the worst thing one can say about a hotel, then it's a pretty good hotel." Let me assure you that is far from the worst thing to be said about this Courtyard.

My wife and I arrived to find our room carpet had been very recently washed/steamed (and there was a sign on the bed explaining this, so it wasn't a mistake), so our carpet was wet for the first night and day of our stay. Stupid mistake not to check out at that point. When I tried to complain about it, no managers were available. I have still yet to be able to reach a manager about it, and they have not returned my call. I received my bill via email and checked to see if maybe they had given me some sort of credit. Instead I found that they had also charged me $300 for a "smoke free cleaning". I can assure you neither my wife nor I smoke. I called the hotel about it, and, surprise, no manager was available. I have yet to receive a return call about that issue either (and meanwhile the charge is still on my card). This was easily my worst experience at a major chain hotel.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MAB1973
Reviewed November 25, 2006

This hotel may have been nice at one time, but don't expect more than a one and a half star on a good day. If you like old fashioned "cottage cheese" ceilings and wall mounted air conditioners/heaters that roar through the night then this is the place for you. The halls and elevators smelled of disinfectant and room service trays were left out way too long. The breakfast was not included and was $14 a head which was a little pricey for making your own waffles. This place needs a total renovation and is the last Courtyard we will stay in since they all seem to have been run into the ground.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2006

I actually live near Pasadena, but I stayed at the Courtyard for one night while visiting family that were in from out of town. The pool is nice and there's a jaccuzi. Our room faced the pool courtyard but there seemed to be a lot of street noise late at night that made it difficult to sleep. I found the bed uncomfortable, but I think it's a pretty standard bed for hotels. I can see how the hotel would be good for business travelers, but I wouldn't reccomend it for a lengthy stay. The breakfast is good, but expensive if you want waffles or eggs (about $12). Overall, it was a decent chain hotel, but nothing special.

• Stayed: July 2006
3  Thank violetstarlight
Reviewed February 18, 2006

I've stayed at this hotel at least 20 times over the last few years. It's an OK hotel for business with free internet service, mostly comfortable rooms, a decent restaurant, and free popcorn in the bar room during cocktail hour. The location is great if you plan on walking around Old Pasadena. It's also quite convenient if you want easy access to the freeway (Hwy 134).

The street noise on Fair Oaks can be quite loud, particularly if you're used to sleeping in a quiet neighborhood. The courtyard rooms are much quieter.

Parking is about $12 in an adjacent garage and a few dollars more for valet service.

The staff DO make some rookie mistakes (as mentioned in other reviews). I have been checked into rooms - and given keys! - where other people were already sleeping, found the maid's cleaning supplies in my bathroom, had inadequate number of towels, etc.

The workout room is quite small and has about 4 cardio-type machines (stairmaster, treadmill, etc.) and, while I've never tried the pool, it, too, is quite small.

I've also stayed several times at the nearby Westin. It has smaller, but nicer rooms, and a much more stylish ambience (as well as a nicer workout room!)

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank garyho
Reviewed February 6, 2006

This hotel is in the top of its class for a business hotel within walking distance of everything to see and do in Old Pasadena, and 2 blocks from the Gold Line LRT, which can take you into downtown LA and connect you to LAX for as little as $3!

The room was clean and comfortable, the front desk staff excelled at their jobs and could not do enough to satisfy. I had to send a fax back to Canada during my stay and there was no charge for this service, as well as receiving several faxes while there.

Both the air freshener, and the traffic noise, which are sometimes quite noticeable, can be dissipated by turning on the window unit air conditioner/heat pump.

Stayed: February 2006