“Great Location and staff”

Courtyard Los Angeles Pasadena/Old Town
Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in Pasadena
Ventura, CA
“Great Location and staff”
Reviewed July 14, 2009

First of all, we stayed at the Courtyard Marriot due to it's location. We got a suite because our son was getting married and we wanted room enough to have a gathering place. We requested a table and chairs to play poker and the staff was very accomodating. We asked the concierge to make us reservations for 12 at Bucca de Beppo which he did and also provided us with free shuttle service and we didn't even ask! We hired three beauticians to do hair and makeup before the wedding and the suite worked out great because it had lots of mirrors! We had fun at the pool. The staff brought out free ice tea and ice water for each table. Free Starbucks coffee in the morning. LOTS of nice restaurants and bars very close by. I loved Russels for breakfast. Cheesecake Factory and Bucca de Beppo were just a stone's throw away so we didn't eat at the hotel at all. Too many good restaurants close by to try. Parking is $15.00 a night but you can park on the same floor you are staying on. There are six floors. If you lend your keycard to anyone else to park, you will get charged extra. We did this to help someone out because their keycard did not work for some reason and we got charged, but now we know. It was such a great experience to stay there, that we didn't care about the extra charges to park. The rooms are comfy and clean. You'll be happy you stayed here.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank DebiVentura_CA
courtyardpasadena, Director of Sales & Marketing at Courtyard Los Angeles Pasadena/Old Town, responded to this review, August 24, 2009
Thank you for taking time to comment on your stay at our hotel. We appreciate your kind comments, as its always good to know that our staff was able to surpass expectations. We hope to see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed June 23, 2009

I've stayed several times for business at the Courtyard in Old Pas over the past two years. The location can't be beat: right at the edge of Old Pasadena, so there are restaurants and shops galore within walking distance but the hotel itself is fairly quiet.

The staff is extremely nice but not always on the ball. I had to ask several times on one stay for a room that wasn't close to the elevator (I'm a light sleeper). When I went up to check on the first room's location, it was immediately across from the elevator. The next room wasn't much better. How hard can it be to find a room that's not close to an elevator--or to say that none are available?

On the plus side, the staff always greets me with a Marriott Rewards gift bag when I check in, and the valets never give me a hard time about self-parking instead of letting them park it. When I realized I'd left an item in my room after checking out on one visit, the housekeeping staff quickly retrieved it and brought it down to the front desk.

But the hotel is showing its age. The beds are getting a very obvious dip in the middle (I've noticed this in almost every room I've stayed in), and the bed linens, while clean, are thin, worn, and of noticeably lower quality than those used by competing hotels in this price range--even lower-priced Marriott brands like Fairfield and Springhill. The TVs are standard models--no flat screens. I'm puzzled why Marriott hasn't scheduled the hotel for a refurb yet--maybe because it still does a very good business without one.

On my last trip to Pas earlier this month, I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Arcadia instead of the Courtyard Old Pas. It was about $50/night less, and the rooms and bedding had recently been refurbished--flat-screen TV, Sleep Number bed, and so on. And parking was free. Obviously, it's not in Old Pas, but if you have a rental car, you've got plenty of dining options within a two-minute drive--and Old Pas itself is a 15-minute drive.

I'll be staying at the Garden Inn until the Courtyard Old Pas gets an update.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank Bailey2
courtyardpasadena, Director of Sales & Marketing at Courtyard Los Angeles Pasadena/Old Town, responded to this review, June 25, 2009
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel and thank you for staying with us. We appreciate all comments as it helps us identify possible challenges in order to help us maintain a great hotel and improve where it may be needed.
With regards to your comment on the mattresses and bedding, we definitely take this very seriously. Each mattress responds differently through time and our policy is when a mattress becomes dated, we do replace it. I would encourage you to contact us directly so that we can locate the room in order to inspect this more thoroughly and provide the proper changes. You are correct that our televesion sets are the larger models and although they work very well, they do not have the look of the flat panel televisions. We are scheduled to receive new televisions this year, in the near future, as well as new clock radios with the capability of utilizing your iPod.
Please know, too, that our staff takes every request as a priority and we do our best to meet and exceed every one. Depending on the day of the week of check in as well as the check in time, our selection of rooms can be limited. Our official check in time is 3:00pm, however we try to get each of our guests in as early as requested. We will follow up with our staff, however, to ensure that we are on top of this and that we continue to make every effort to accommodate room type preferences.

Thank you again for your comments and review of our hotel and again, for choosing us on your recent trip. We do hope that you'll choose us again as we take our guest service very serious and with a lot of pride. Please feel free to contact us directly with any questions and to let us know how we can best be of assistance.
Bakersfield
Reviewed June 9, 2009

Our family had a standard two queen suite which was comfortable. We include breakfast in our stay, and the chef prepared us a wonderful omlet. The hotel staff was very accomodating in finding us to place to eat that could accomodate a full basketball team, and actually walked us to the location of the restaurant. The pool was heated and clean, and staff was very responive to the call for more towels even at 8:00 at night. The lobby/bar area was very nice gathering place for the adults, serving free coffee in the morning, and tea in the afternoon. The hotel is withing walking distance of Old town Pasedena and about twenty minutes from Staples center.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
courtyardpasadena, Director of Sales & Marketing at Courtyard Los Angeles Pasadena/Old Town, responded to this review, June 12, 2009
Thank you for your review and kind words. We're happy that you enjoyed your stay and that the concierge was able to be so helpful. They do their best and its great when things work out so well.
Also, thank you for making mention of how close the Staples Center is. Its a great venue to catch live events and Pasadena is just a short drive away.
We hope to see you again in the near future.
The Sea Ranch, California
Reviewed May 25, 2009

We stayed here for two nights for a weekend getaway. I booked online and check in was easy. The room was clean with a very comfortable bed and lots of pillows. Includes Bath and Body Works lemon verbena, which is a favorite scent for me. However, I think it can be a little to girly of a scent for male lodgers. Room included big desk with comfy work chair, free wifi (yay!) and lots of thick towels. Room also had a mini fridge and microwave, which is great if you want to keep some basics on hand and save $ from dining out.

The staff was very friendly, giving eye contact and smiles. There is also a concierge onsite too. Overall, satisfied with stay and would return to the property if I was in the Pasadena area.

Parking garage on the back of the building $15/day for self park and $17 for valet. Includes in/out privileges, which is great.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CailTravels
Thank you for your kind words and review of our hotel. We appreciate your noticing our staff and service as well as what a fun location Old Town Pasadena is. And thank you for noticing the fridge & microwave in each room; they are the latest addition to the rooms.
We hope to see you again.
Kennett Square, Pa.
Reviewed February 17, 2009

Totally enjoyed my stay here. Staff could not have been more helpful and friendly.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
courtyardpasadena, Director of Sales & Marketing at Courtyard Los Angeles Pasadena/Old Town, responded to this review, March 13, 2009
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel property.
Although we are very proud of our location and hotel overall, we are most proud of our outstanding team. We've been fortunate to have team members whose goal is to always be helpful to our guests. We do not have all of the answers, but we have a dedicated team that always tries to find them all.
Thank you for your review and we hope to see you again soon.
Brooklyn Park, Minnesota
Reviewed October 10, 2008

Stayed at the Marriott Oct 5th to Oct 10th for work. The first night checking in was a pain, the front desk person was new and didn't know how to process my credit card, so after about 30 min on the phone with my boss back in Minnesota the credit card suddenly worked after I said i was just going to go to another hotel. In the moring when i tried to order room service for breakfast the told me that they do not do breakfast, but when i made the reservations they had said they do. When i talked to the hotel manager in teh morning, who was very nice, he told me they will do breakfast if the resturant is not to busy, so i had to go down and get my own breakfast each morning and bring it back to my room. Which is not a big deal but when you have to get up and leave in the morning the last thing i wanted to do is that, and that is why i wanted a hotel that was capable of breakfast room service. I will say the dinner each night was very good. The last two days while I was gone, both my suitcases where gone thru, I could tell beacuse I keep my clothes organized in a certain way. When i had gotten back i noticed one of my suitcases had been moved and when i looked in side I could tell things were different. Nothing was missing so not a big deal, but when I talked to the Manger he never really questioned it, and just appolgized which was fine but he acted like these kind of things happen. Also the first night the towels in my room were very dirty and had been used, and the sheets needed to be changed. They were taken care of when I called the front desk but its just the fact of the matter. I travel about six or seven times a year for work and when I pick out a hotel I expect them to be nice, I don't know maybe my standers are to high, but i don't think so.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Frozenfoot
Thank you for your review and letting us know about your stay with us. We've been able to learn from these items and move forward as a hotel in several different departments.
We ensure that our Front Desk receives extensive training in our back office, now, prior to ever coming to the Desk to interact with our guests and possibly cause a challenge which leads to inconvenience.
With regards to room service being available for breakfast, we've gone through our website to ensure information is correct there and followed up with our reservations team to ensure they are providing accurate information.
Our housekeeping team has made extensive progress in ensuring that we leave our occupied guest rooms exactly as we found them, when providing daily housekeeping services. With the exception to the room being cleaned to the highest standards, we ensure that all guest belongings are exactly as when our guest left for the day.
Also, we just received an inspection from an outside service that inspects all Marriott properties, and were able to score a 96% overall that includes Front Office, Restaurant, Engineering and Housekeeping.
Please know that we are not able to secure this type of excellent score without valuable feedback from our guests. The only way we improve is to fix any challenges that occur.
Thank you again for your comment and we hope to have another opportunity to show you how we've improved.
RSM, California
Reviewed September 24, 2008

Easy and Excellent! We were only there for a one night stay and it was too bad. If we'd known it was going to be so easy and comfortable, we may have reserved for two nights just to enjoy the relaxing experience further. Upon arrival, we were greeted "car-side" at the front door by friendly valet's. We asked if we could "self-park" after checking in and they obliged. They explained the check in procedure and our vehicle would be "right here after checking in". Now, I have stayed in hundreds of hotels and this was the fastest check-in I have ever experienced. I walked up to the desk and in less than 2 minutes - literally - I was walking away with keys in hand. The covered parking garage is unique in that you can park on the floor you are staying (we were on the 6th) and enter the room/hall area of the hotel right from your parking area. Our room was clean, quiet, and completed "PERFECTLY" with our reservation requests. By the way, I reserved on-line and it worked perfectly! Even with my preferred requests. Upon the next morning, we had breakfast in the lobby restaraunt and it was GREAT!! Lot's of different selections and choices for a reasonable price. We would DEFINITELY stay there again if in the area, or just go and make a weekend out of it. We were VERY pleased with everything!!!

• Liked — Nicely presented common areas and very nice rooms with nice ameneties.
  • Disliked — Nothing. we liked everything.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple