“Another Good Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 31 Hotels in Pasadena
Big Lake, Minnesota
“Another Good Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Second time that I've stayed at the Courtyard Old Pasadena and this trip was as good, if not better than the last. Lobby has had a complete remodel since my last stay, and now includes the latest dining/bervage service option from Marriott. Functional, maybe even innovative, I'm just not sure if I like it. Location really makes this hotel as you can walk to many restaurants and shopping. Rooms are a little tight, but well maintained. They were doing an extensive carpet cleaning during my stay. This is my got to hotel in Pasadena.

• 4 of 5 stars
Courtyard_Pasadena, Director of Sales at Courtyard Los Angeles Pasadena/Old Town, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. The new lobby transformation which took place over a year ago has been amazing. We have a fair amount of business travelers who have stayed here for week after week for years. Honestly, it took most a little time to get used to the new modern look and function. Once our seasoned travelers took the time and observed how people were working, meeting and socializing in this new environment, they recognized the brilliance of the design and have warmed up to it. Many of our regular guest themselves have changed their own habits spending even more time in the comfort of the lobby then they have traditionally done so.
In a busy hotel we have realized there is really no good time to clean the carpets, but we do clean them frequently which helps us to maintain a very clean and well maintained environment.
We are again very thankful for your comments. Safe travels and we hope to see you in the new year.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Korean first
Long Neck, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights while participating in the Rose Parade floragraph decorating. Had a double room on the 6th floor. Hotel employees were extremely pleasant, friendly and helpful. Loved the free internet in the lobby (gorgeous by the way), free coffee in the lobby all day long and the small lobby level restaurant was very convenient (but not free). Conciege service for directions and suggestions was great. Room was lovely and hotel is only a few blocks off the main drag (Colorado) for restaurants and shopping. Entire vibe was hospitable and relaxed. Only annoyance was that we could not get internet in our room......technician sent up immediately but to no avail...on and then off again. I do believe had we wanted to they would have moved us...but we didn't want to pack up and move so we just used the interent in the lobby.
Also the ac/heat is a bit on the old fashioned side...so noisy all the time. didn't bother us but may bother some. We never heard any hallway noise however.

Room Tip: I always ask for upper floors...our room on 6th floor was quiet and peaceful, except for noisy ac/he...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thanks so much for your comments. We love that you are so kind to recognize our great staff. Location and vibe make Pasadena and our hotel in particular a wonderful choice when visiting the area.
We are fine tuning a recent internet upgrade, so while designed to be faster with a bandwidth at three times the requirements, I am sorry we fell a bit short with your internet experience.

We especially appreciate that you came all the way across country to help decorate the floats in preparation for the upcoming Rose Parade. When the floats go by we will be thinking of you and the thousands of people that it takes to do this every year. Perhaps you are coming back for the Parade to see for yourself…

Safe travels and we very much hope to see you in the new year.
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

This has become my "go-to" hotel while in the area and it did not disappoint on this trip. From the valet parkers to the front desk staff, everyone is customer-service oriented and is what Marriott should be (take note, Philadelpia Airport Marriott!). The hotel is clean, in a great location, and easy to get to. I was in the area on business at the same time as a football crowd, but nothing was lost in quality with the larger capacity crowds. Well done.

• 5 of 5 stars
Thank you so much for your kind words. We are very appreciative that you took the time to talk about our great staff and location. We very much look forward to your next visit in 2013!
Spokane, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

You couldn't ask for a better location within great walking distance to shops and great food in old town Pasadena. The lobby and breakfast get high marks from me as well as the hard working staff. A word of caution though about the pool. It is in the shade. Get to the pool before 9a if you want to see sunshine. The room quality is standard Marriott furniture and bedding, but this property seems to have more mismatched, dinged up furniture than others. My room on the second floor had no view, other than a dirty rooftop. The walls had white drips of ceiling paint and damaged spots on the walls and carpet. I slept fine, even though the walls seem to lack insulation. I could hear lots of noise from outside. The location is the only reason I would come back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
Courtyard_Pasadena, Director of Sales at Courtyard Los Angeles Pasadena/Old Town, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
D KL,

Thank you so much for the feedback. We appreciate the positive comments about staff and location.

If travels bring you back our way, we sincerely hope to see you back.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We were visiting friends for Thanksgiving in nearby San Marino. This hotel's location was a perfect fit. The room was very clean and modern, with a view of the swimming pool in the courtyard. Service and staff were excellent. I wish the hotel's entrence wasn't located off of a busy street, as this made it hard sometimes to pull the car in. But other than that, everything was great.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the swimming pool. Avoid front-facing rooms.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Traveler,

Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about your stay. We truly appreciate your comments.

Hope to see you again next year.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I was nervous about this property, simply because I didn't know the area well and didn't know if the Courtyard brand would hold up as well in a larger city. I only needed a one-night stay and figured I could survive if the choice was less than stellar. I was hopeful, as the reviews were -- in my eyes -- surprisingly good and the hotel seemed to hold its own with the bigger, splashier, and more prestigious competitors.

I cannot tell you how pleased I was with my stay. As everyone else has mentioned, the location is perfect for any Pasadena needs. The room was AMAZINGLY clean and a little pretty. The front desk staff on check-in and check-out were delightfully pleasant and seemed warm and caring making the process a breeze.

The biggest benefit of this location, however, was the lobby restaurant's food and fare offerings. They not only have a REAL Starbucks on the property, but a wonderful kitchen and restaurant to boot! They offered free coffee beginning at 6 a.m. and any size or sort of breakfast a guest may desire. Can I tell you how good, plentiful, and inexpensive my breakfast was on Saturday morning??! It looked good -- fluffy eggs, beautifully brown bacon, nicely cubed potatoes -- that "traveled" well (I ordered it to go so that I could eat in the room) perfectly packaged in a lovely (vs. generic) brown bag. It tasted even better than it looked, too. When I met my friends in the early afternoon, they were surprised I wasn't ravenous (I usually forgo hotel food; I'd rather enjoy a local meal when I travel). Even while I awaited my meal's preparation, it was kinda cool to hang out in the user-friendly dining/lounge area with the guests who were in town for the UCLA vs. USC Rose Bowl game. Had I stayed in Los Angeles? I likely wouldn't have left the room without full makeup and outfit. Here, however, I felt sufficiently comfortable in my skin to throw on casual clothing and just GO.

I plan to return to Pasadena in 2013 and if I need a hotel? This will be my choice. It's a great deal for the price.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear Traveler,

Thank you much for your kind words and experience here at The Courtyard by Marriott – Old Pasadena.
Our location is perfect and the closest hotel to the Rose Bowl. The Bistro is a great place for a meal with great food and atmosphere.
We will make sure to pass on your comments to our culinary team who work hard every day. Safe travels and we very much look forward to having you back in 2013.
Gales Ferry, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We stayed 6 nights on a combined business and pleasure trip. A great location just a couple of blocks off of Colorado Blvd (The street of the Rose Bowl Parade fame) in Old Pasadena. There is much to see and do in this thriving high class area, with particularly great opportunities for gourmet quality etnic dining of every type. Most everything you would want is within walking distance. The hotel staff is very friendly and eager to please in the best Marriott tradition. The food and choices in the lobby Bistro is suprisingly good and reasonably priced. We enjoyed several breakfasts and dinners there during our stay. Rooms are good size and have a small refrigerator and a microvave. Free Internet is a real bonus. Parking is extra, either self-park in an attached garage ($15 night) or Valet ($17, plus tips of course), with quick Valet delivery of your car. We were very pleased with this hotel and would chose it for sure for a return trip to the area.

• 5 of 5 stars
Courtyard_Pasadena, Director of Sales at Courtyard Los Angeles Pasadena/Old Town, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thanks so much for the great comments regarding your stay. We truly appreciate you taking the extra time to share your experience. “Location, Location, Location + Friendly Staff” could not have been said any better. Thank you again and we very much look forward to your next visit.