“Good for lunch”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Fair Oaks
Transit: The metro stops at Holly St. or Del Mar Station are both walking distance to the restaurant.
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Like many, I found it by chance as I wandered around the alleyways of Old Pasadena. Set on a patio above a small square in Hugus Alley, the outside tables have a view of people as they pass or eat their lunch below.
I ate a chefs Caesar salad with white anchovy, shaved gran padano and seared romaine lettuce and they supplied my suggestion of added crispy bacon without a murmur. I followed it with a chocolate brownie, with vanilla ice cream and a raspberry sauce, a pot of coffee and of course the free water. It was very good quality and reasonable at $26 incl tax. I added a tip of $6 for the very attentive, friendly and knowledgeable staff. Definitely a good place for for the weary tourist to sit back, relax and take in a bit of Pasadena.

Reviewed May 30, 2014

We sauntered past this restaurant earlier in the day and because of its location decided to book for dinner. It is in a quiet spot but with a busy terrace, so we could sit and watch the world go by! The food did not disappoint and neither did the service, we really had a wonderful evening.

Reviewed May 19, 2014

We visited this Restaurant on a very busy evening, without a reservation and unfortunately were unable to get a table on the terrace. However, we were seated at a lovely table inside. We were quickly served by friendly wait staff, end even when our waiter was busy sorting an order for a big group, so we would not be waiting, the maître de stepped up and ensured that our order was taken promptly.
The meals were lovely, I had the beet salad and my husband had a steak cooked perfectly to his liking.
We would certainly dine here again.

Reviewed May 12, 2014

We had a great experience at AKA. Since we were traveling with our small dog we appreciated being able to bring him onto their lovely patio. Good selection of wines, great service and I had the beet salad which was wonderful, as was the salmon salad that I tasted. Would definitely return!

Reviewed March 15, 2014

I agree with the not-so-good reviewers from the middle of last year. I've been there twice, and will choose another place in the area next time. First time we enjoyed it, but a lot of alcohol clouded our judgements. The second time, stone cold sober, it was mediocre at best and quite expensive when you order the large dishes or the specials. The decor is kind of odd, feels cold like a high-end chain, with huge booths that 2 or 4 people can get lost in. And, as the others said, the service is definitely sub-par - they are just not on their toes.