“Very good Ukrainian and Russian food”
Review of Roxolana - CLOSED

Roxolana
Cuisines: Ukrainian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Web site launches in 2 weeks
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I'm stunned that Roxolana isn't packed with customers. The food is quite excellent (this coming from a Ukrainian whose grandmother's cooking was amazing), the staff is friendly, and the atmosphere is welcoming and quiet. The only thing they could improve on are their hours - it would be a fabulous spot for a late dinner or even a late night hangout for wine and sharing some of their great appetizers.

1  Thank Daemonaquila

Reviewed July 8, 2012

I'm always up for a new dining experience, especially when it's some kind of ethnic food I haven't had before. For my birthday (and her husband's) my friend suggested Roxolana, since I had not previously had Ukranian food. Few people would notice this beautiful restaurant tucked on a side street in Olde Towne Pasadena, since it was almost empty, but for my first experience there, I enjoyed it so much. Our waiter was great and the food was excellent. The atmosphere was difficult to rate, since my friends and I, plus two other ladies were the only people in the restaurant. We ordered the Zrazy for an appetizer. I asked our waiter if we could get one of each, meat and cabbage, and we could. For our entrees, I had the Grilled Pork, my friend had the Pork Shashlik, and her husband had the Grilled Chicken. While the prices appeared excessive, they were not. The portions were huge! I actually got 2 more meals out of what I ordered at the restaurant. The staff was great. Since the other two ladies finished their meal and left, the chef came out and chatted with us. I happened to mention it was my birthday and our waiter brought out a delicious chocolate cream cake with a candle on it. Then the waiter and my friends sang happy birthday. What a nice surprise! Anyone looking for a great dining experience should try this restaurant. With the walls tastefully decorated in Ukranian decor, plus music (which was not to loud), this makes the restaurant a total dining experience. I just would have loved to have seen more diners there. As for me, I definitely will go back, since I loved Roxolana!

1  Thank cheetaahh
Reviewed June 16, 2012

The food at Roxolana is fantastic. My wife and I have tried different dishes each time and greatly enjoyed them. I recommend the Zrazy as an appetizer and the Vareniki stuffed with potatoes and mushrooms - it is delicious. The atmosphere is quiet, inviting and we find it romantic. The staff is very friendly and attentive. We will be going back again and again

1  Thank lostgods
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Great place to eat. food is really good and the service is great. The best thing about it all is that it is very close to home.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

We visited here in October of 2011. The restaurant is extremely tidy, very polite staff, excellent menu selection and the owner came out personally to introduce himself.!!!!! After he found out my ethnic origin...we both read the Taras Shevchenko Zapovid. I cannot even begin to express my gratefulness for this encounter. The last time I spoke the mother tongue was with my deceased father. Thank you Alex Balinsky!!!!