“Great burgers your way”

The Counter
Ranked #81 of 722 Restaurants in Pasadena
Cuisines: Diner
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Custom Built Burgers. This is a 'chain' restaurant with outlets in many other cities and states... but we very much like the reliability of the hamburgers!
Reviewed August 22, 2014

Love it. In addition to tasty food, it is reasonably priced and has great wait staff, even when it is hectic and busy. It is a terrific choice for a meal with children. Milk shakes are enormous and enough for two.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

There's something for everyone here. Park in the lot behind Walgreens where parking is free for 2 hours. Vegetarians and meat eaters alike will like this "burger" joint.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

I love this place! It's a lot of fun to design your own burger and get it exactly the way you want it. They offer tons of options in regards to all aspects of a burger: the bread, meat, cheese, toppings and sauces. Most of their sauces are made in-house, along with their milkshakes. And you can really taste the difference. They also have their own burger combinations if you'd rather order from the preset menu. Another plus is the high quality of all the ingredients. They offer organic, hormone and antibiotic free meats and greens, and they don't charge you an arm and a leg for it. The service is always great, Alisa is the best server there and really knows what it means to work in the hospitality industry. I always make sure she's working when my friends and I go for dinner. They are also happy to let you sample a sauce before ordering it. Oh, and the fries (both regular and sweet potato) are perfect! They come out hot and crispy, perfectly cooked and seasoned. But beware, they are highly addicting! The Counter is definitely worth checking out!

Reviewed January 16, 2014

You go through a series of check-offs to order the burger here--how big, what cheese, toppings, trimmings, sauces, and so on. If you order a 1/3 lb., it is one patty; 2/3, it is two patties; 3/3 it is three patties. That seems strange, but if you order medium rare, each comes that way, stacked. If you ordered a single patty as big as a 2/3 lb., the cooking might be less predictable. When they are stacked, who cares anyway? One in our party committed to a stack of six patties next time.

It is cooked the way you ordered it. The meat is delicious. The toppings are all first rate. When you scrape away everything and just taste burger, it is good.

The place serves wines and beers, with many choices.

It is a big open space on Shoppers' Lane behind Lake. Maybe slightly utilitarian, with new versions of the old U.S. Navy straight-back chair, which is a classic design. Six painted skateboards hung above us. Some framed graffiti was to our left. Music on low volume and fine. Not noisy.

Waiter was good, informative, helpful, and attentive.

Fries come in various flavors: plain, with seasoning, Parmesan and garlic, chili and cheese. I tried a few of each. Maybe no fries is best with this beast of a burger, but our party of six left only a few cold fries at the bottom of the bowl.

One of us had a milkshake. Very tasty, but again not sure with the size of the burger. The rest of us drank water with lemon.

No room for desert. That should be the title of this review.

The best burger in the area for my money. I am not fond of franchises, but this one feels rooted in its place.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

Not as good as the one in Century City in respect to both ambiance and food quality. I do not like that each Counter restaurant has different market selections (for example, in CC I like the fig sauce with brie and Pasadena did not have that available. I was here as I had an appointment immediately following lunch. I do love the organic bison and I still ate as that is the best food on their menu (and I believe a lean food). Delish! I think they are a little too expensive for what you get but still a good place to eat!