“Poor business practice”

Ranked #284 of 746 Restaurants in Pasadena
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Delivery
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: N. & S. El Molino Ave.
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We were charged for 70 guests for our party, but the food provided were less than for 60 people! Guests who went to get food, they found gravy instead of meat! I have not seen a restaurant like this. The management needs to think and soul search. The practice they embrace is not really honest! They can make much profit in short period of time, but lose customer and business in the long run.
I, however, admit that the quality of food was good.
The cleanliness is very poor. The management must make every efforts to improve its cleanliness.

2  Thank Robin K

Reviewed September 21, 2013

Sitar was a recommendation from a student's parent who is from India. She did not steer us wrong- really fabulous food. We were a little hesitant because we were not familiar with ordering in an Indian restaurant, however they had a combination dinner for two which was a good jumping off point. Nicely priced wine list and excellent service. We will order from the regular menu next time. Important detail is that they do offer fee parking, but it is hidden- alley right alongside Pasadena Playhouse- parking for Sitar is clearly marked. Decor is nicely done, looking forward to another visit.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

This is one of my favorite local restaurants. All menu items are made from scratch and authentic and to order. Because of this, some items take a little longer to arrive to the table. The decor is cozy with soft lighting and seating is very comfortable. The staff are very friendly, courteous, helpful, and eager to please their guests. I love their Sunday champagne brunch, dinners and the convenience of take out. Sweet mango lassi's are a great way to take the edge off the spiciness of their great entrees and their Indian tea is a great accompaniment for the end of meal. This is a great place to take a date! For large celebrations they offer a full equipped banquet room next door. The people attending these events seem to really enjoy themselves and let their hair down. It made me wish I were part of their group. Everyone really seemed to be enjoying themselves!

Reviewed December 26, 2011

This was the fourth Indian I have dined at. Although my family of six usually sticks to a strictly Chinese food diet, I manage to convince them to try random restaurants of different cultures. This was one such time. I had forgotten to go grocery shopping, so we had nothing to eat for dinner. I suggested this restaurant, which I heard of from my colleague. It is tucked away in a secluded area near the Pasadena Playhouse. The exterior was rather shabby and unattractive, and I was skeptical at first at what the experience would be like. Once stepping inside the door into entering the main room, however, my impressions changed radically. The restaurant had a dimly lit interior. The smaller tables were lit with candles, giving off a romantic atmosphere. The seats near the window had couches and were illuminated with lights. After sitting down, an employee hurried over. She supplied us with a basket of some kind of chips, a variety of dipping sauces, and menus. We chose at random some dishes that seemed fairly appetizing, including Butter Chicken, Samosas, Mango Chicken Curry, Lamb Saag, Paneer Makhani, Tandoori Chicken, Saffron Rice, Mango Chutney, Naan, and Mango Lassi. Although the service was slow, we made amiable time chatting. When the food came, we ate like wolves, ladling large portions of each dish onto our plates. In no time, we were bloated. I was stunned at the amount of food we had left. The bowls all looked almost full. An employee gave us the bill, and I dismissed the huge sum. It was appropriate for our large family, and we had enough surplus to supply meals for two or three days yet. I paid with a credit card, and we packed up the plentiful surplus. Each person carrying a bag, we waddled to the car and returned home. After that pleasant experience, our family returned enthusiastically three times again this year. The third time, an employee who recognized us slipped us a coupon discreetly. I was touched and thanked her excessively. The one drawback to this place is that the food is probably not what you would consider healthy. Indian food uses great amounts of butter, as I learned from a class. It gives the curry its creamy texture and invigorating aroma. Overall, though, I love this restaurant, as do my family.

1  Thank Rainfire
Reviewed August 15, 2011

The restaurant was not busy and there were employees just standing around. Service was polite and attentive, if scattered. Wait staff seemed confused about who ordered what. They forgot completely 1/3 of our order, which took another 20-30 minutes. Good food, slow kitchen. Would recommend if you're not in any kind of hurry. Check your takeaway before you depart.