“Thai food is good if the owner makes it. Sushi was decent, but is it still there?”
Review of oishii thai - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
oishii thai
Cuisines: Sushi, Thai
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 12, 2012

We ate here a total of 4 times. The first time everything was great. The Thai food was super authentic, and the sushi although not extensive selection was decent and fresh. We went back during their 50% off sushi happy hour, and ordered rolls. All were good except for the white fish rolls. The third time we went back for Thai food for myself and sushi for my husband. This time Thai food was not good. Everything was too salty. I asked the waitress if the owner made the food for me this time, and it turned out a different chef made it. I told her it was not good, and if I ate there again, I would only go there if the owner would make the food. The sushi was still fine. The fourth time we went back, I insisted that the owner made the Thai food for me, and the food was good....a tad not as good as the first time. However this time their sushi bar was closed, and only a limited kind of sashimi plates and rolls were available (made by the owner herself). So because of the inconsistency, we have not been back to the restaurant since Nov 2011.

Visited November 2011

Mountain View, California
“Good South Pasadena Restaurant”
Reviewed December 28, 2011

This restaurant features a combination of Thai and Japanese cuisine, and does well on both sides of that multi-cultural menu. We spent $53 and got an excellent dinner.

Visited December 2011
Denmark
“With Such Great Food and Service I Can't Believe It's Not Crowded!”
Reviewed October 1, 2011

I have been eating at this restaurant since December 2010, and it's hard to believe that people aren't lined up outside waiting to get in. Perhaps potential customers are confused by what is meant by "Thai-Japanese Cuisine." Simply put, one can order Thai AND Japanese cuisine here, and one will be glad that he or she did. The food just keeps getting better the longer this place is in business. Check out the pictures on its website and see if your mouth doesn’t water.

The owner works very hard and personally sees that each customer's needs and expectations are met. The staff is very courteous, helpful and efficient. How many places still refill one's beer, wine and water glass when they're empty without one having to ask? Yes, it's that kind of place.

The restaurant's interior has been redecorated recently. Whether one sits at the sushi bar, tables or booth, it is a very comfortable and attractive restaurant. I go there frequently and really appreciate the relaxing atmosphere.

The menu has also been redesigned. Now one finds Thai food in the front portion and izakaya and sushi in the back portion. Of course, Singha, Asahi, Sapporo, vintage wine, Thai iced tea and coffee, hot tea and other soft beverages are available. I go twice a week and enjoy Japanese one day and Thai on the other. One can't go wrong either way. I have been eating Thai food since the mid-seventies and all over the country, and I really can honestly say this is the best I can think of.

Today I started off with Monk fried Tofu which is 100% vegan and comes with a sweet peanut dip. It was light and crispy and nice starter to what followed. I had a "small" bowl of Tom Yum, the clear-broth, hot and spicy, sour soup that I ordered with shrimp. I had the Spicy Minced Salad called Larb which features ground chicken, shallots, mint, crunchy rice with spicy chili lime sauce. What a mouthgasm!

My main courses included Pad See Ewe stir fried rice noodles with egg, bean sprout, peanuts, and I ordered it with beef. Wow, it just melts in my mouth. Along with that came the Spicy Squid cooked in a spicy sauce with garlic, basil leaves and plenty of onions. I ordered the Sautéed Garlic but substituted pork for chicken. Rich, creamy Yellow Curry with coconut milk and chicken completed my feast. Like everything else I ordered, I requested "20" on the 1-10 spicy scale. To me consuming great Thai food is like engaging in an extreme sport: it's a full body experience! The portions are HUGE, so I have plenty of leftovers to repeat the experience over and over.

There are a lot of good restaurants now in Pasadena and Greater Los Angeles, and there are quite a few Japanese and Thai restaurants around. Many are quite good. How many restaurants offer really great Thai and Japanese food UNDER THE SAME ROOF? The prices are very reasonable, and there is Happy Hour EVERY DAY from 5-7 when all sushi is 50% off!

This place is starting to get popular, so I don't expect to get the place all to myself for much longer. When it does get too crowded to get a seat, I'll probably just call in and have it delivered to my door. Writing this review has made me hungry again, so I'll be back for Happy Hour and the Sashimi combination, Mixed tempura and Pan seared chicken gyoza.

I'd better get there early!

• Visited October 2011