“An absolute disappointment”

Howard Johnson Pasadena
Ranked #8 of 31 Hotels in Pasadena
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I read up all other reviews before I booked - heck what a disappointment! These people must have no idea what a good hotel must be like, as my family and I didn't agree at all. I had booked in for 4 weeks accommodation which was broken into 2 as we went to Vegas after the first week. On my return I was booked on the 2nd floor that had no elevator access to it. I wasn't there for a weekend trip but from Australia for a vacation and lots of shopping, having lots of suitcases to carry up and down, in this day and age who has rooms with no elevator access? The staff were not helpful at all.

The best part is that in the brochure the pool looks like a proper pool. What a joke!! My kids complained for the entire week we stayed there they wanted to swim but wouldn't go in that pool, it was so tiny. My kids hated this hotel so much. We checked out and into another hotel, wow what a difference! There s no comparison. What a disappointment, never again!!!!

3  Thank AliceKoops
hojopasadena, General Manager at Howard Johnson Pasadena, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

It is unfortunate that your experience with us was not perfect. We’ve tried to accommodate you and your family during your stay; however the situation didn’t work out.

I was the staff member who checked you in that day. At that time we only had 2 rooms available for your reservation room type. There is one on the second (no elevator access), and one on first floor. You’ve requested the higher floor room, so I selected the 2nd floor room for you. After you came back to the office screaming about the stairs issue, I offered to have staff help you with your luggage, or perhaps you can keep some of the heavy luggage in your other room which was on the first floor. You refused, and said you don’t want other people to touch your stuff. Then I offered the only other alternative, the room on ground floor. You said no, because you don’t feel safe on the ground floor.

We are out of options at this point. You don’t want to stay in a different room type, you don’t want any of the available choices, and you actually said to me “It’s your problem, move someone else then, I don’t care how you do it!” Unfortunately we can’t kick other guests out of their rooms and accommodate you instead. Therefore I’d offered that we can give you a full refund so you can find other hotel for your stay.

Our pool was small, which was how we described on our website. It is a perfect size for kids. Anytime a guest asks about our pool, we’ll always be honest and tell them the pool is small. We don’t want to lie or disappoint any of our guests.

We’ll do our best to serve all of our guests. That’s our job. We’ll definitely try to resolve any issues that a guest may have, we’re constantly checking our reviews, and see where we can improve. We thank all of our guests who give honest and fair reviews based on facts and be reasonable.

There are newer reviews for Howard Johnson Pasadena

Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed at Howard Johnson Hotel in Pasadena during our last leg of California visit. I have to say we were impressed! The front desk staffs are very helpful and friendly, they gave us great directions to Universal Studios and to the beach. Breakfast was good enough, I mean its free.

The room was clean, smell was nice (some hotel the cleaning chemical was too strong, not here). Flat screen TV was a nice upgrade. Bed was comfortable for us.

I do want to give a special thank you to hotel staff Sam, he actually called us on my cell phone after we'd checked out, and told us we forgot our iPhone charger. He was such a lifesaver!

Overall, we would recommend this hotel to our friends, if we're every in Los Angeles again, we'll stay here for sure.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Reviewed August 21, 2013

This hotel was a disgrace! Room had this foul smell like someone had been smoking in it for years.
Was staying in this hotel with my family and my 9mo baby the 2nd night we were there our 2 male neighbours were banging on the their door screaming out a girls name to open the door whilst I was so scared I tried to call front desk to call security only to find out my phone didn't work. I was up all night worried for our safety!
You hear everything going on upstairs and besides you with showers, taps and toilets being flushed at all hours. The carpet was disgusting and you felt cleaner not using their old showers with paint peeling off the walls.
There was no parking and had to illegally park out the front of the front desk as by 8pm after coming back to the hotel from dinner the place was full. Wifi was so bad and had to continuously choose which out of the 10 Howard Johnsons to connect to that would work.
The staff had no idea and weren't as friendly as read from others reviews. Checked ourselves out of this place and checked into a much better hotel on the same rd. Holiday inn express were the hotel and rooms were fresh smelt great and much cleaner, safer and dent have to hear other ppl!!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Rita V
hojopasadena, General Manager at Howard Johnson Pasadena, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Thank you for your review. We take every guest’s review serious and review them carefully. Based on your review I recognized your stay with us. We do care about our guest’s experience with us very much. The situation you mentioned in your review was unfortunate, in that we have little or no control of what kind of guests that also stayed in the hotel, the males guests you mentioned next to your room were drunk that night, they did apologized the next morning, and we warned them at least 3 times that night.

We do have enough parking for all of our guests. That night you checked into our hotel, there was a traffic school using our conference room, their class ends at 9PM, therefore the parking spaces were taken by their students.

I was the one helping you on your second visit. I checked you into a room on 2nd floor, the lady came back and screamed at me for that location of the room, I told her I can offer you a room on 1st floor that’s the only room I have available in your room type. She replied “I don’t want to stay on 1st floor, it’s your problem, I don’t care how you do it, but find me a room upstairs.” Before I can find any other solutions, she and others from your party decided to leave. We didn’t charge you anything since you’re not happy with your stay, and you were only in the rooms for less then 20 minutes.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

I have been staying at the Howard Johnson in Pasadena for nearly 2 years - 1 week per month on business - and it has a great location and for the price you can't beat it. The staff are friendly and the rooms are clean.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Thank you for your review and your continue support. Our mission is to make every single guest happy about their stay with us. We are constantly making improvements to better serve our guests.

Reviewed August 13, 2013