“Vanishing breed”
Review of Saga Motor Hotel

Saga Motor Hotel
Ranked #8 of 31 Hotels in Pasadena
Reviewed June 29, 2014

I loved my stay at the Saga and at $85 a night it was a steal. I was there for six nights so it was a bit like living there. It's true that's it a bit worn and needs some updates (new windows for sure) but it was very clean, comfortable and accommodating (very nice staff). Good water pressure and AC. Comfortable bed. A large refrigerator. Good parking and a convenient, safe location. Easy walking to at least a half dozen restaurants, a Starbucks, 7-11, liquor store. It was probably built at the tail end of the Rt. 66 era and has that vibe in the best possible way. Years ago I used to stay in places like this throughout the southwest and there aren't too many left. The pool and area around it was well maintained and a great place to sit and relax even if you don't go in the water. The pool was big enough however to actually swim for exercise. I've stayed in a range of hotels from very expensive to budget. Few have beat the Saga for value. It may not be for everyone but I was a little sorry to leave.

Room Tip: I had a third floor room facing the pool. The AC worked great but I hardly used it. The windows op...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Saopa

Reviewed June 18, 2014

A great stay in a good location and a rather unique motel. Easy walking to some great local restaurants.
Swimming pool, clean, with comfortable loungers and seating open early 'til late.
Attractive gardens throughout.
Friendly and helpful staff.
Breakfast not my, er, cup of tea! But would do at a pinch.
Good room pricing that won't break the bank
Recommend visiting the Community College across the road. Full of life, energy and wonderful architecture.

Room Tip: I'd recommend having either a room on the ground floor overlooking the pool, or on a very top fl...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Helen W
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Great location, decent rooms, free laundry machines, breakfast included, easy parking and complimentary internet service for a very fair price. What more can you ask. You can't go wrong at Saga Motor.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Whissely
Reviewed June 16, 2014

We decided to stay at the Saga Motor Hotel based on TripAdvisor reviews. What a cool little motel. We spent 2 nights here, on our way north to San Francisco, and again on the way back to Phoenix. The staff was very helpful. Prices are absolutely reasonable. I was also surprised at how clean the rooms were. The first nights we had a 3rd floor room, overlooking the pool. Nice view! I was a little leery about the tiny elevator, but it worked just fine. The 2nd time, we had a ground floor room. It was very quiet in spite of being right by the pool. We've already decided that we'll stay here
again. No doubt about it!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank barbels
Reviewed June 12, 2014

What did we get? a tired building that needs some updating and repair in the public areas like the elevator, bedding that is "motel" quality and an inexpensive night's sleep in a larger than normal room with a king size bed on our journey back home. There is no reason not to stay here and the price is right but we did not understand all of the 5 star reviews which led us to this place. Would we stay again if in the area? Yes.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 7, 2014

Stayed there one night last week. I registered online and made an error on the date. I phoned and they very pleasantly corrected things. The room was immaculately clean and well appointed, comfortable and quiet. They switched to a nice line on botanical toiletries since my last stay. I would have loved to use their heated swimming pool but didn't have time. They served a no-frills continental breakfast but there were several nice small restaurants in walking distance. Everything about my stay was positive and the price was reasonable. This is my hotel of choice when I'm in Pasadena.

Room Tip: Check their web site to see if there are specials that are better then the popular booking sites.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank timetraveller00
Reviewed May 4, 2014

We stayed here one night. I chose this place because of the reviews. It's an older hotel but has some charm. The location is very good being close to restaurants and public transportation. The area seemed to be fine, no problems. The staff was very nice and helpful. The bed was comfy and the shower (pressure) was very good, better than most. Continental breakfast was just that - cereal, fruit, coffee, milk, juice, muffins, bagels, etc. It's okay to carry you over til early lunch. Internet worked just fine.

Overall it was a nice visit and we would probably stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple