“Return Trip”
Review of Saga Motor Hotel

Saga Motor Hotel
Ranked #10 of 31 Hotels in Pasadena
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Went back for a night. We were going to the Knife Expo. It was a surprise trip for my husband. I called and made reservation. Melodee at the front desk was very nice. I think this hotel is a gem!!! So is Melodee, she is very nice and friendly. We had a lovely trip and will go back again!

Room Tip: We were in 109- downstairs- was very nice.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Stayed here for five nights. Staff were very friendly and helpful, almost felt like family. We had a large clean room. Quiet so good sleep. Free laundry. Very nice pool and sitting area. Excellent wireless internet connectivity. The room was perhaps not luxurious, but was very comfortable and spacious. Location for us was very convenient.

Room Tip: Check out room 222, if available.
2  Thank KenDebra
Reviewed February 28, 2013

This inn is located right across from the Pasadena City College; we stayed during the weekend so we did not encounter much student activity, if there is ever any. Our room was on the third floor overlooking the college, right next to the elevator. We did not hear any noise from the elevator. The room was large, clean and comfortable, and the grounds were will maintained with numerous plants, shrubs and at least a dozen tall to very tall palm trees. The neighborhood is a combination of business and residential, with most of the business located on Colorado Blvd. We had a few hours of free time so walked Colorado Blvd, and if you are into local businesses, you will enjoy your walk, as we did.

The staffs are quite friendly, helpful and provide invaluable advice on things Pasadena. The breakfast is a combination of dry cereals, fruits, pastries, teas (choices: from herbal to whatever) and, my favorite, coffee. The coffee and teas are available 24/7, so if you are overcome by the desire for tea at 2AM, you are in luck. If the breakfast area is crowded, no problem, Saga provides trays for you to carry your food to the pool area, where there are tables, or, to your room. Just clean up after you are done with your breakfast.

Saga has an online offer which they claim is their lowest room price. But if you accept this offer you are restricted to certain rooms. We used this offer to book our room, and we enjoyed our room. Saga will always be our first choice, and we recommend Saga as the place to stay if one is looking for an affordable, quiet, clean place to stay in Pasadena.

Room Tip: Look up their online room rate, you may save a few bucks.
Reviewed February 18, 2013

My husband and i were coming down to Pasadena for the night and most of the hotels were booked or expensive due to Presidents weekend. Came across this online and liked the pics and reviews. The Saga was not expensive and had a good online special. Loved the way it looked when we pulled in, very 50-60's style sign and buildings. The lady at the front desk was very nice and helpful, she gave us a Pasadena booklet and restaurant ads to help us. She let us know about breakfast and what was nearby. It was cool getting a key instead of a plastic card. (I'm old enough to remember those). The pool was clean and beautiful with chairs all around. The room was very clean and nice, bed felt good, decent fridge and TV. From reviews i knew there'd be a book, sadly it was Joseph Wambaugh, but liked the idea of having books in the room. We just grabbed coffee and tea in the morning since we were headed up to Mary's in Sierra Madre, yes not a big selection, but its a small place and inexpensive, so its nice they even offer it. We would stay again, no problem!!

2  Thank Monica R
Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

You have to view this part motel part hotel style establishment in the context of its building era. It is dated how could it be anything other? It is very clean, the beds are very comfortable, but cosy for 4!! In the 2 double room we were only 2 so it was fine. Hurrah the windows open and have fly screens, yes the air con is a bit noisy but it works. The rooms by today's standards are a little small, Flat screen TV. Large fridge and a microwave
No tea or coffee in the room, who cares you can get that in the lobby and half a city block away is Starbucks. And a new Bakery. Buses to Old Town and wherever else pass the door Not as expensive as other hotels which by the way have pretty poor Reviews in comparison. If you can remember the 50's it is great old movie style California style motel, it has been in several movies and on CSI
The staff are great. And work hard on the presentation of the rooms. We would stay here again

• Stayed: January 2013
4  Thank may2tripad
Reviewed December 28, 2012

I chosed this hotel due to the proximity to Caltech and also by recommendation. It is an old but great hotel with cosy atmosphere and friendly staff. I stayed there almost a week without any problems but the only disadvantage is the breakfast that has very very limited choices. After the first few days, the breakfast became extremely boring. However, you can still find other shops nearby, anyway.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank umutayildiz
Reviewed December 21, 2012

I needed to travel to LA at the last minute for a funeral at Mt Sinai in Hollywood Hills. Being on a budget, this was the best value I found in the general area and with a very healthy rating among other hotels in Pasadena.

I was very pleasantly surprised when I pulled in. I did enjoy the retro feel and also the non-generic motel feel, too. The front desk (Lori and Roger) were very friendly when checking in, helpful when I asked traffic info on traveling to the service, and the next morning more than happy to make me a fresh cup of coffee at 12 p.m. after I woke up.

I was in Room 316 on the third floor. I requested a room away from the street and on the top floor, and was granted both. Just a double bed in the room, but it was just me and they were extra long, so even at 6-4, I fit. Bed was firm, yet comfortable.

It was a smaller room than I would usually expect in a cookie-cutter motel, but it was comfortable. Good water pressure in the shower, clean bed linens, flat screen TV, and a large fridge. I missed having a personal coffee maker in the room. I would highly recommend the owners add this inexpensive feature that most any traveler expects.

Excellent location! Very easy to find off the freeway. 20 minutes to Forest Lawn Hollywood Hills and Mt. Sinai, Pasadena City College across the street, any number of fast food and other restaurants within easy walking distance, and Starbucks and Wells Fargo next door. Plenty of free parking, too.

To back up other reviewers, yes the elevator is old, but I took the stairs every time after I brought up the suitcase. I would highly recommend staying on the third floor, because the floors are creaky in select spots. Stingy on pillows (only two). I went downstairs for two more.

My biggest complaint? For some unknown reason, the maintenance staff thought it would be perfectly fine to begin pounding on the hallway floor outside my room at 8:30 a.m. after a very long and emotional day the day before. This work could have easily been done later in the day, and I was a little irritated when I saw aforementioned maintenance people standing by their truck when I checked out at noon. Their day was over, and mine started horribly.

But that was a one-time thing. I would highly recommend the Saga for those on a budget, needing a clean place to crash, convenient to freeway and eateries, and wanting to experience the feel of Pasadena when Colorado Blvd was Route 66.

Room Tip: Request third floor room to avoid hearing floor squeaks. If you face the back, it is the quietest (o...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo