“Taste is Good - Service, NO!”

Kabuki Japanese Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Kabuki Japanese Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #88 of 726 Restaurants in Pasadena
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: De Lacey Avenue
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Well, this wasn't my first time in Kabuki (Colorado), and I LOVE the food there. BUT the service was disappointing the last time I visited on July 15, 2013. It was Monday, and not the happy hour yet. Our plates stayed empty in front of us the whole time while more food was coming, and there was no place to put the full plates. Our soft drink cups were empty and we had to beg for more. It was my Dad's birthday, so we told them for their little celebration & dessert, and after waiting for like really long, we got a tiny-mini cup of one scoop ice-cream, where everybody else was getting their Banana Tempura for the birthday celebration (we saw 3 other tables - parties of 3 or 4, we were 5). So, I am just assuming our waiter forgot us, and then, the last minute he remembered and came up with the ice-cream idea.
The three is only for the quality and taste of the food. Service, disappointing.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

When I walked into Kabuki I was very impressed with the place and the Asian staff members were very nice and very friendly. I was seated quickly and treated at the Sushi bar as there was a wait for tables on this Friday evening. I ordered the Shrimp Roll and when it arrived it was pretty loose and poorly done. So here is my definition of correct. First off Sushi should be wrapped tightly to prevent it from falling apart when you pick it up, second it should be cut to a size where you don't have to nearly choke to get it in your mouth, the pieces should be consistent in size (Width of Cut) and COLD! This particular roll was none of these. In fact most of it fell apart, none of it was consistent and it was sadly warm. OK give something else a try . . . lets try the Gold Rush role. This is a tempura battered California role. When it arrived it was HOT! Trying not to make a first impression I savored it a couple of times and then finally quit about 1/2 way. As much as I want to like the place I just didn't find the food as good as I had hoped. The place gets an Average rating but this is generous.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

I am posting this so that future diners are forewarned and Kabuki Restaurants pays attention.
I made a reservation on Monday 11 Feb at 6pm. My son and I arrived 13 minutes early and were told by the man at the front desk named Eric (he refused to give us his last name) that we were early And would not be seated until 6pm. We asked why and Eric told us Kabuki was very busy. We looked beyond him and found half the tables were empty! Then, Eric proceeded to seat a walk-in party. We asked to see the manger; Eric pointed behind him. We walked to see the manager who seemed to know about our reservation. The manager had no idea why we couldn't be seated and walked with us to see Eric who proceeded to tell the manager that our reservation was for 6pm (it was now 5:55pm). I Asked (rhetorically) what would have happened if we had arrived at 6:05pm?

We felt so poorly treated that we walked across the street to Sushi Roku where we were greeted warmly and had a good meal. Never in my life have I been treated so badly by a restaurant. And, when I walked back to cancel our reservation at Kabuki, there was total indifference. And, today is a Monday, one of the slowest days of the week.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Walking down Colorado Boulevard and feeling hungry, my wife and I walked into Kabuki. On a very hot summer day, the sushi was amazingly fresh. Try the AAA Box sushi.

Reviewed November 28, 2011

My husband and I were visiting from out of town and dropped into Kabuki on the main drag of Pasadena on a Monday evening just after 9 PM. Service was very hit-or-miss: the server was either all over us or missing for way too long. We were excited by the very inexpensive late happy hour options and went for a few of those. Miso soup was good, as was the salmon/cream cheese roll. Another roll that I got has tempura shrimp in it and they were awful. Dry, gummy, chewy....seemed like they had been made a few weeks ago and were sitting in a bin at room temp ever since. I've had more sushi with tempura fish or shrimp in it than I'd like to admit, and the roll at Kabuki was so very bad. That with the service made our experience far from ideal and I would definitely not recommend this place.